Walker Library

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John
Capella Tower

Re: Walker Library

Postby John » June 7th, 2012, 3:03 pm

When I eventually win a +100 million dollar Powerball jackpot, I'm buying the Arby's lot and building a boutique hotel on it.
That Arby's lot is my FAVORITE location in Uptown! It has all the potential to be a fantastic ultra-hip gateway building into Uptown. Yeah, a nice triangular shaped boutique hotel for hipsters would be perfect there! The service might not be very good though, with all the attitude given off by the employees! :)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 12th, 2012, 4:16 am

Site Plans, courtesy of the Planning Commission:

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 095660.pdf

Looks like the LIBRARY letters will be staying!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 12th, 2012, 7:53 am

Meh...

I guess it's a nice touch for the area but I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious. Oh well......not bad, I guess.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 8:40 am

I really like the transparency of the Hennepin Ave facade. The transparency fits the character of this community which is so well known for its open, tolerant, and hip attitude. The slightly rectangular protusions on the roof ( I think they are skylights) create a nice rhythm and breaks up the horizontality the roofline. I'm also thinking the skylights will be more prominent than how they appear in the rendering which will make the building look more interesting. I like the way the angled roof plays off of the Uptown Theater. The design is low key and defers to the landmark Uptown Theater so as not to compete with it. Some people may be upset with its quietly modern design, but I think ultimately it will serve this community well.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 12th, 2012, 8:43 am

Any thing is better than the $hit hole that is there now. Just have a functional library as well as a pretty outside, the current one sucks.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 10:33 am

Any thing is better than the $hit hole that is there now. Just have a functional library as well as a pretty outside, the current one sucks.
Yes, I'm sure that the failure of the current library influenced the architects and Library Board. The (future) new design is very straightforward and the space looks clear as a bell to navigate around in .

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 12th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I like the current one, I think it's outgrown itself, but I love the Brutalist architecture and subterranean nature. I also love Peavey Plaza, it's really sad to see two of our towns best examples of that era of architecture going to the wayside. In another 40 years we'll probably feel like we're missing out on it. The same way we miss the buildings demolished by Urban Renewal. Just my thoughts. I know a lot of other people in the 20-30 range who think the same too, the Mid-Century and Modernist/Brutalist styles are coming back around again for sure. I do think the new Library will be a nice fixture though.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I like the current one, I think it's outgrown itself, but I love the Brutalist architecture and subterranean nature. I also love Peavey Plaza, it's really sad to see two of our towns best examples of that era of architecture going to the wayside. In another 40 years we'll probably feel like we're missing out on it. The same way we miss the buildings demolished by Urban Renewal. Just my thoughts. I know a lot of other people in the 20-30 range who think the same too, the Mid-Century and Modernist/Brutalist styles are coming back around again for sure. I do think the new Library will be a nice fixture though.
The big difference between Peavey Plaza and The Walker Library is that Peavey worked and functioned well for its users(except at the end due to the neglect of the city). I'm not sure the Walker Library ever functioned well. I think it had problems from the get-go.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 8th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Hennepin County Library's page for the Walker states that it will be closing on September 22nd; I assume this will mark the start of construction (or preparation.)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 10th, 2012, 3:22 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hennepinco ... 8091575033

Photos of the giant LIBRARY letters being removed. So glad they will be re-installed at the new building!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 10th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Hennepin County Library's page for the Walker states that it will be closing on September 22nd; I assume this will mark the start of construction (or preparation.)
Most likely demolition on the inside. Not sure if there will be any asbestos abatement in that era of building or not!

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » November 27th, 2012, 2:17 pm

This is happening. Demolition has begun on the outside.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 27th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Yes, fence is up and trees were down this morning.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Cool, it is about time.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 27th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Cool, it is about time.
This new Library is going to be a winner. It will add another layer of diversity in activity to the area. A great civic addition to Uptown that will give the neighborhood a highly visible community focal point.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » November 28th, 2012, 12:16 am

Like the plans, except I'm hoping they don't really but the LIBRARY sign in the parking alley behind the building. Anywhere would likely be better, I vote for near where it started in the Mall lawn to the North.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 4th, 2012, 10:58 am

Heavy digging should start any day. Workers were photographing neighboring buildings in preparation for some ground shaking. The old roof, parking lot and landscaping have all been removed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 16th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Everything's pretty much still there. Looks like they've just dug out a path around the parking lot so far.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 19th, 2012, 4:10 pm

They actually had a huge backhoe tearing into the west edge of the library. A good portion of what used to be the roof is gone. Good to see they are finally tearing this thing down.

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » December 20th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Does anyone know why they closed down the inner right turn lane from southbound Hennepin to Lagoon? It's made traffic on Hennepin horrible. My bus ride home from Downtown is averaging 10 minutes longer than before. I hope this lane will reopen when demolition is over because it's really having a negative effect on the rest of the street.