Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Re: Mozaic (all phases)

Postby aeisenberg » April 11th, 2017, 4:44 pm

I work in Mozaic west. An intraoffice memo reads: "Ackerberg has notified us they are set to start their development of the MoZaic East building, beginning next week. As such, the MoZaic surface parking lot will be permanently closing on April 16th."

That's all I know.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 11th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Can we assume that this would be the same design that was shown a couple years ago? I liked that building - I think the general response was that it felt almost European. Really surprised that this hasn't appeared in the news recently...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 11th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Let's hope it is, but they had an awful long time for value-engineering.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 12th, 2017, 7:40 am

That still doesn't make sense though. Wouldn't they have to go before the planning commission again. That means it might be several months before construction can actually start. If there are no major changes to the project, put it go through the planning commission fairly quickly? I've never seen something like this. I have never seen a developer announce the eminent start of construction, before they have the planning commission's blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 12th, 2017, 8:09 am

Can't planning approvals be extended? Though I think that still requires a public process so we would have know if they'd done it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 12th, 2017, 9:19 am

Clarification: Land use approvals (CUPs, Variances, Site Plan Review, etc.) don't really expire. They are effectively permanent and stay with the land forever, UNLESS:
a) the approved use is discontinued/vacant for more than 1 year
b) the approved use never actually commences (within a set time period, wording varies by municipality).

In the city I work for, land use approvals expire in one year, unless "Building permits have been issued and substantial work performed". In Minneapolis, approvals are good for two years, but the language states "All site improvements shall be completed by [two years from date of approval], unless extended by the Zoning Administrator."

When a project is delayed, staff (or City Council) can extend approvals, but I'm unclear how those extensions are administered in Minneapolis.

P.S. If anyone knows the correct address for the project, it should be easy to lookup building permits on http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/AddressPortalApp/ I searched under both 2900 Fremont and 1320 Lagoon (and there are like 20+ different PID #s under those addresses), but found nothing.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 12th, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally, code 42 was going to occupy the space. They must've landed a big office tenant.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 12th, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally, code 42 was going to occupy the space. They must've landed a big office tenant.

Google.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 12th, 2017, 10:01 am

I believe the last info was that they were retooling this as multi-tenant. Maybe they've decided there is enough demand to build on spec?

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 21st, 2017, 3:28 pm

Jersey barriers on site!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2017, 3:33 pm

Sounds like they're in the process of submitting new plans, (or maybe the same plans) but either way they're submitting plans so we were probably correct that their existing approvals expired.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2017, 3:34 pm

I talked to someone at the LHENA annual meeting who said they're building on spec. Very interesting. I saw an updated rendering. More boxy and less unique. :(

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 21st, 2017, 3:46 pm

Mat W and Fishmanpet, won't it take several months to get the approvals. They have to go to the COW, then they planning commission, and finally city council, correct? If they have the jersey barriers up, doesn't that mean that construction is imminent?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2017, 3:51 pm

I don't know what their timeline is, but it sounds like they're in that time between formally submitting plans to the city (or they may only be submitting to the CoW) and when there will be a time for supportive letters and testimony.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 29th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Just went by the site on the bus. There is a backhoe on site. They must be very close to the start of construction. Very exciting!!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... b50aba.jpg[/IMG]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 29th, 2017, 4:56 pm

They brought plans to the Midtown Greenway Coalition board meeting this week, but I didn't snap pictures. Planning on going to Planning Commission on May 22.

It's going to be spec office (no anchor tenant in mind, and no potential tenants at all apparently right now), a little smaller than what they were doing before. An 8 story section to the south, stepping down to 6 stories, stepping down to 3 closest to the greenway. Mostly glass on the North side (facing the greenway) with some textured precast on the south side for thermal reasons. Two retail spots on the ground floor. Opus is the firm working on it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 29th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Two measly retail spots?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 29th, 2017, 11:06 pm

It's pretty much the whole first floor that's retail, so they're big spaces.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 29th, 2017, 11:12 pm

So...restaurants? What we need in this area is smaller (=less expensive) spaces for independent owners.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 30th, 2017, 7:00 am

I know it's not a particularly popular catchphrase, but these spaces can (and more than likely will) be broken up over time. There's also the under-appreciated argument that two big restaurant spaces here keep a bunch of older streetcar commercial buildings from booting out (smaller, less expensive, independently owned) businesses for a single large space for a fancy restaurant. I've suggested this before (again and again), but if local residents really want more small commercial spaces for local businesses, perhaps we should collectively lobby our city council and planning department to allow commercial uses in areas with old housing stock, rather than somehow requiring it in expensive new construction.

It's also a giant surface parking lot right now so on the addition of hundreds of weekday people and two restaurants will still be a massive improvement.