Hiawatha-Minnehaha Corridor - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » August 28th, 2018, 10:04 pm

There are two additional developments in this same general area that will be presented at the September 4 LCC meeting:

The one that makes me nervous is the Reuter Walton project on the restaurant site (most recently 'SomTaste'). I don't love the idea of that site being redeveloped independently of the long-ass strip mall to the north. My concern is that developing this site now may limit future roadway changes (i.e. re-configuring the nameless frontage road along Hiawatha). Check out the property lines in the area: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2823120082 The strip mall owns a narrow strip behind the SomTaste building...what's gonna happen with that?

If I owned the strip mall and all of the houses along Minnehaha Ave, and had the power to totally remake this area, I would:
-Build mixed-use buildings along Minnehaha Ave with lots of ground floor retail space
-Build additional apartment buildings where the strip mall sits (without retail)
-further extend Snelling Ave through the site down to Nawadaha (somehow), as well as the MiHi Line linear park
-convert the frontage road along Hiawatha to private surface parking and/or access lane behind said apartments replacing strip mall
(frontage road appears to be MNDOT ROW)

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » August 29th, 2018, 6:46 am

‘Extremely affordable’ housing project planned at 45th and Hiawatha
The five-story, 53,950 square-foot building will sit on one acre. It will include 80 efficiency units that range from 418 to 518 square feet. A parking lot will have 40 spaces, or about a half space per unit, and there will be inside storage for bicycles. One-third of the property will be green space along what planners hope will soon be the Min Hi Line linear park.
First, I'm not knocking this project - $600 for a new build project would be crazy low. Yes they need to secure grants. Still - low.

-The sad part-

For someone making minimum wage, the rent would have to be closer to $400 a month to meet the 30% of paycheck affordability level.

Here's hoping that it all works out though!

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » August 29th, 2018, 8:28 am

‘Extremely affordable’ housing project planned at 45th and Hiawatha
The five-story, 53,950 square-foot building will sit on one acre. It will include 80 efficiency units that range from 418 to 518 square feet. A parking lot will have 40 spaces, or about a half space per unit, and there will be inside storage for bicycles. One-third of the property will be green space along what planners hope will soon be the Min Hi Line linear park.
First, I'm not knocking this project - $600 for a new build project would be crazy low. Yes they need to secure grants. Still - low.

-The sad part-

For someone making minimum wage, the rent would have to be closer to $400 a month to meet the 30% of paycheck affordability level.

Here's hoping that it all works out though!
By the time this finishes, the Minneapolis minimum will likely be $15/hr. At that wage, assuming 40 hours a week for 4 weeks a month, 30% of that persons income is $720. Were you assuming state minimum wage?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 29th, 2018, 10:06 am

There are two additional developments in this same general area that will be presented at the September 4 LCC meeting:

The one that makes me nervous is the Reuter Walton project on the restaurant site (most recently 'SomTaste'). I don't love the idea of that site being redeveloped independently of the long-ass strip mall to the north. My concern is that developing this site now may limit future roadway changes (i.e. re-configuring the nameless frontage road along Hiawatha). Check out the property lines in the area: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2823120082 The strip mall owns a narrow strip behind the SomTaste building...what's gonna happen with that?

If I owned the strip mall and all of the houses along Minnehaha Ave, and had the power to totally remake this area, I would:
-Build mixed-use buildings along Minnehaha Ave with lots of ground floor retail space
-Build additional apartment buildings where the strip mall sits (without retail)
-further extend Snelling Ave through the site down to Nawadaha (somehow), as well as the MiHi Line linear park
-convert the frontage road along Hiawatha to private surface parking and/or access lane behind said apartments replacing strip mall
(frontage road appears to be MNDOT ROW)

While I agree that it's not ideal to develop one without the other - you really can't force one property to do something when they don't own the adjacent property. I hate this dead zone and look forward to this whole area continuing to evolve over the coming decade. I'm hopeful that a phase 2 of the south portion of the lot behind the strip mall (south of the new Cub & apartment complex) pushes the imagination for everything here.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » August 29th, 2018, 10:43 am

[/quote]

By the time this finishes, the Minneapolis minimum will likely be $15/hr. At that wage, assuming 40 hours a week for 4 weeks a month, 30% of that persons income is $720. Were you assuming state minimum wage?
[/quote]

Ahh good point. Yeah, I was thinking state $7.87.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 29th, 2018, 2:17 pm

The article says funding by the end of 2019 with a 10-11 month build period. Assuming it opens sometime in late 2020, Minneapolis minimum wage won't be $15 an hour — it'll be $11.75 for small businesses ($13.25 for large).

That puts a full-time, minimum-wage worker at a small business making just a little bit more than required for $600 to be affordable at 30 percent.

Not a huge deal, just wanted to point that out. It's pretty great they can get this to pencil out with rents that low.

twincitizen

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby twincitizen » August 30th, 2018, 1:57 pm

A peek at the site plan for 4757 Hiawatha (Bridgeman's/SomTaste replacement): https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqo3jd24enmp1 ... n.pdf?dl=0

6 stories baby! I'm still a bit disappointed that there isn't a more comprehensive vision for reworking/rethinking how the frontage road, two alleys, linear park/trail and Nawahada all come together, but it will probably be fine.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » August 31st, 2018, 7:09 pm

More details on the proposed development at 46th St and Minnehaha Ave!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uml6m88olugkl ... e.pdf?dl=0

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 1st, 2018, 8:59 am

Reminder: LCC n’hood meeting this Tuesday at 7:30 to discuss both of the above projects. Longfellow Park - 36th Ave & 35th St.

A bunch of people are going to show up and talk about the traffic and parking issues caused by the popularity of Minnehaha Falls park, and try to use that as excuses why these projects should be stopped. Don’t let them be the only voices in the room

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 4th, 2018, 9:57 am

Hiawatha-Minnehaha Corridor.jpg
I think it's pretty exciting to think about all the new/proposed units from E 42nd to E 54th along Hiawatha & Minnehaha currently!
I created a map with yellow dots for the proposed units and blue for under construction units along the corridor. I came up with about 897 units, which is great to see, since the Blue and A Lines both run through here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 6th, 2018, 9:54 am

Nice map!

I didn't go to the meeting Tuesday night, so I don't know how it went (assume very poorly). LCC has scheduled another, much longer meeting for October 9:

An hour and 25 minutes for each project? Ouch. Their previous committee meeting on 9/4 dedicated just 20-25 minutes to each, which is probably on the short side for each NIMBY to "be heard". But this is just too much...I'll probably skip the first item (on Minnehaha & 46th, only 4 stories, great design...slam dunk) and attend for the second one near the falls (replacing Bridgemans/SomTaste restaurant building). Even though that site borders zero residences and doesn't even share an alley with anything other than the strip mall, I'm guessing lots of folks will oppose it simply out of fear of change, not wanting a 6-story building anywhere in the area, etc. That one probably needs the public support a little more.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 6th, 2018, 11:41 am

You should get some clarification on which one goes first. The images are swapped relative to the descriptions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mod note: the image above was updated online, and is now correctly matched.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

kdo5581
Block E

Postby kdo5581 » September 7th, 2018, 11:30 am

Does anyone know if these two need variances or CUPs?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 14th, 2018, 10:57 am

Here is a link to the plans of building shown in the upper image. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 214028.pdf

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Sure is, thanks!
I think it looks nice.
If this transitions the strip mall north of it to continue building up - even better.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 4th, 2018, 9:17 am

Mod note: Discussion of Phase II of the Oppidan development (Cub Foods mixed use, now named 'Lowa46') has been moved to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4165&start=80

This thread can continue to be a catch-all for the other developments in the area.

That meeting next Tuesday is gonna be [fire_emoji 3x]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 31st, 2018, 10:50 pm

Meeting recap: http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... ha-handle/

Concerns about traffic and parking. The back of my head is featured in the photo at the beginning of the article

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 1st, 2018, 8:20 am

While I like seeing this greenway concept in all of the drawings, how to greenway planners see this crossing busy streets such as 46th St? The Oppidan project (Cub) includes a new stoplight at Snelling, right? Therefore I can't imagine Hennepin County having an appetite for a signalized crosswalk at the greenway.

It's such a shame we have a corner with two stroads, a Walgreens, and a gas station between all of this and the 46th St Blue Line station. Or will people be taking the A-Line to the Blue Line station two blocks away? Heh.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 1st, 2018, 9:36 am

Meeting recap: http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... ha-handle/

Concerns about traffic and parking. The back of my head is featured in the photo at the beginning of the article
Man, I go that way on my commute sometimes and pretty much every time I have to stop at Minnehaha and 46th, I notice that there's way more lane capacity than needed. 46th is literally never backed up at all. Add all the new stuff and it still likely needs a road diet.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 1st, 2018, 9:41 am

While I like seeing this greenway concept in all of the drawings, how to greenway planners see this crossing busy streets such as 46th St? The Oppidan project (Cub) includes a new stoplight at Snelling, right? Therefore I can't imagine Hennepin County having an appetite for a signalized crosswalk at the greenway.
Even without a signal, a refuge island would make it workable. The crossings at Charles/Dale, Charles/Snelling etc. have higher traffic counts than anything along the greenway route and are still basically fine.