Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby Didier » March 29th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Kind of along these lines, but something else I thought of last time going through Minnehaha and Lake is that you could make an argument for having a more substantial George Floyd memorial here, and doing something more modest at 38th and Chicago.

Obviously there are a lot of emotions involved and Chicago Ave is where he actually died, so not trying to take away the significance of that location. At the same time it’s an unremarkable intersection that’s already become a giant mess, and I think it’s fair to ask if permanently closing part of the road and wedging a pocket park in front of a kind of dumpy private building is the best plan.

At the same time, the most significant rioting took place at Lake and Minnehaha, and it’s an area that desperately needs a sense of place. Assuming the third precinct eventually comes down, using part of that lot to create a small park with the fist statue or whatever else would make a lot of sense, and feels like a more likely location for people to actually visit in years to come.

Or maybe I’m exaggerating the proposals for 38th and Chicago? I just remember thinking that the plans looked kind of random and not all that pleasant.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby SurlyLHT » March 29th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Kind of along these lines, but something else I thought of last time going through Minnehaha and Lake is that you could make an argument for having a more substantial George Floyd memorial here, and doing something more modest at 38th and Chicago.

Obviously there are a lot of emotions involved and Chicago Ave is where he actually died, so not trying to take away the significance of that location. At the same time it’s an unremarkable intersection that’s already become a giant mess, and I think it’s fair to ask if permanently closing part of the road and wedging a pocket park in front of a kind of dumpy private building is the best plan.

At the same time, the most significant rioting took place at Lake and Minnehaha, and it’s an area that desperately needs a sense of place. Assuming the third precinct eventually comes down, using part of that lot to create a small park with the fist statue or whatever else would make a lot of sense, and feels like a more likely location for people to actually visit in years to come.

Or maybe I’m exaggerating the proposals for 38th and Chicago? I just remember thinking that the plans looked kind of random and not all that pleasant.
I agree, this location actually has space for a memorial and visitors. George Floyd Square they were just making the best of a bad situation with the given space and infrastructure. Additionally, releasing plans for a Memorial here with community partners may make opening up George Floyd Square easier.