Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby Didier » March 29th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Kind of along these lines, but something else I thought of last time going through Minnehaha and Lake is that you could make an argument for having a more substantial George Floyd memorial here, and doing something more modest at 38th and Chicago.

Obviously there are a lot of emotions involved and Chicago Ave is where he actually died, so not trying to take away the significance of that location. At the same time it’s an unremarkable intersection that’s already become a giant mess, and I think it’s fair to ask if permanently closing part of the road and wedging a pocket park in front of a kind of dumpy private building is the best plan.

At the same time, the most significant rioting took place at Lake and Minnehaha, and it’s an area that desperately needs a sense of place. Assuming the third precinct eventually comes down, using part of that lot to create a small park with the fist statue or whatever else would make a lot of sense, and feels like a more likely location for people to actually visit in years to come.

Or maybe I’m exaggerating the proposals for 38th and Chicago? I just remember thinking that the plans looked kind of random and not all that pleasant.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 29th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Kind of along these lines, but something else I thought of last time going through Minnehaha and Lake is that you could make an argument for having a more substantial George Floyd memorial here, and doing something more modest at 38th and Chicago.

Obviously there are a lot of emotions involved and Chicago Ave is where he actually died, so not trying to take away the significance of that location. At the same time it’s an unremarkable intersection that’s already become a giant mess, and I think it’s fair to ask if permanently closing part of the road and wedging a pocket park in front of a kind of dumpy private building is the best plan.

At the same time, the most significant rioting took place at Lake and Minnehaha, and it’s an area that desperately needs a sense of place. Assuming the third precinct eventually comes down, using part of that lot to create a small park with the fist statue or whatever else would make a lot of sense, and feels like a more likely location for people to actually visit in years to come.

Or maybe I’m exaggerating the proposals for 38th and Chicago? I just remember thinking that the plans looked kind of random and not all that pleasant.
I agree, this location actually has space for a memorial and visitors. George Floyd Square they were just making the best of a bad situation with the given space and infrastructure. Additionally, releasing plans for a Memorial here with community partners may make opening up George Floyd Square easier.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 5th, 2021, 10:19 am

Here's a shot of the Midtown Corner project from May 29th, almost exactly a year after the previous structure burned down

PXL_20210529_230450140 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

May as well add photos I took the same evening of Wendy's and AutoZone:

PXL_20210529_230734438 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

PXL_20210529_230850958 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » June 5th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Like the new apartment building - better design in my opinion then the original.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 6th, 2021, 6:25 am

It's the same design?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 6th, 2021, 9:36 am

Did autozone have the brick exterior before?

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » June 6th, 2021, 9:27 pm

Just wondering if anyone has heard about them being able to save the signage for the historic diner that was in the building that was lost?

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » June 7th, 2021, 7:53 am

Please tell me that Raising Cain's Chicken Tenders isn't run by some weird Christ Cult, I really want to enjoy their food when they open in the old Arby's spot.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 7th, 2021, 8:35 am

The old AutoZone technically had brick, but it had a largely white exterior. I don't know my materials all that well, but the new one appeared to be using cinder blocks for the walls, which I suspect is more substantial than what they had before. The old building was a bit farther north, zero setback against the Minnehaha Ave sidewalk, but with parking in front on the Lake Street side. This new one is pushed to the corner and seems to be more of an L-shape rather than the rectangle/trapezoid of the previous (angled on the Minnehaha side, but otherwise a rectangle).

As for Raising Cane's (a less biblical spelling), I don't know. The more prominent founder, Todd Graves, appears to have recently shifted his political donations toward Democratic candidates and orgs following a long string of donations mostly to the Republican side.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 7th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Just wondering if anyone has heard about them being able to save the signage for the historic diner that was in the building that was lost?
I don't think so. Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » June 8th, 2021, 11:57 am

I don't think so. Image
Damn. Maybe someone with lots of money....another piece of cool history lost.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 23rd, 2021, 11:09 am

Hey cool, Seward Redesign is going to take over the US Bank branch damaged in the uprising. I knew US Bank was moving to the Tim Horton's space to allow this property to redevelop but great to hear they got the right developer for the site. Looks like nothing solid yet beyond the idea of affordable housing and commercial business incubator. Between this and Coliseum building, much good to come.

https://www.startribune.com/u-s-bank-do ... 600119965/

Anondson
IDS Center

Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby Anondson » November 23rd, 2021, 11:10 am

The US Bank site will be donated to non profit developer to build affordable housing.

https://www.startribune.com/u-s-bank-do ... 600119965/

Edit: ninja’d

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 29th, 2022, 11:48 am

Uncle Hugo’s email newsletter to his subscribers said they are relocating to a building about a half block from Moon Palace Books, placing it about 3 blocks from the Lake Street LRT station.

Going into the building occupied by Glass Endeavors. Hoping to reopen in June.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 1st, 2022, 3:38 pm

Starting to wonder if Moon Palace Books will ever take down the boards still on their windows. Does anyone know if the city has taken a more active approach to making sure boards over windows come down in due time?

Also, what's going on with that 3rd precinct building? Overall, I have been like 90-95% satisfied with everything CM Andrew Johnson has done in office, and one of his strengths is his constituent communications (thoroughly explaining tough votes, etc.) but the lack of messaging around what's going on with the precinct building is a point of frustration. I haven't heard a word about it at all, in any direction.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 2nd, 2022, 4:19 pm

Starting to wonder if Moon Palace Books will ever take down the boards still on their windows. Does anyone know if the city has taken a more active approach to making sure boards over windows come down in due time?

Also, what's going on with that 3rd precinct building? Overall, I have been like 90-95% satisfied with everything CM Andrew Johnson has done in office, and one of his strengths is his constituent communications (thoroughly explaining tough votes, etc.) but the lack of messaging around what's going on with the precinct building is a point of frustration. I haven't heard a word about it at all, in any direction.
They should find out if the building is salvageable. If it isn't they should turn it down while they try to figure out the permanent home for the Precinct. Also the Precinct is in Ward 9, so the CM is Jason Chavez. Across the Minnehaha is Ward 2 represented by
Robin Wonsley Worlobah

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 2nd, 2022, 4:23 pm

Given that Mayo Clinic Square still has boarded up windows on two of the four corners six years after completion, I'm going to go with "no".
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 18th, 2022, 7:53 am

https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/15 ... FhVH9sJgTw

From WedgeLIVE - Doran is planning 275-300 units of affordable housing w/underground parking in two buildings on the E. Lake Target parking lot. Project is affordable to 60% AMI with 20% of units "even deeper affordable limits."

Boo to the underground parking, I hope these buildings are pushed up to the corners of Lake and Minnehaha.

I had heard developing this lot is nigh impossible because of the ownership and that Doran would only ever build in the suburbs again. I suppose anything can happen in our lil dystopian ghost city.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 18th, 2022, 9:28 am

Kelly Doran, who loudly complained about Mpls, is no longer involved with Doran Companies. https://dorancompanies.com/ryan-johnson ... an-shares/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 18th, 2022, 11:46 am

Ah, yes! That's right.

County records show "2500 E Lake" as the whole Target property + parking lot. Everlake across Minnehaha is 189 units, so I could see how two 5/1 buildings of ~150 units each pushed against Minnehaha and Lake would essentially eat up 60% of the parking lot. One fatter rectangle building at the south end of the property east of Snelling and south of the Minnehaha curb cut, another skinnier one between the two Minnehaha curb cuts.

I get how not every new building has to be mixed use but this area could definitely use more retail spaces, especially if the buildings are pressed against this major intersection. To my knowledge this goal is in the long term plans of Longfellow.