Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby talindsay » February 28th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Piece about it in the Strib today:
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/247877321.html
I wonder if imminent domain could be used to shake things loose.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Hi-Lake Target Parking Lot

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 28th, 2014, 10:15 pm

It is really disappointing that a hometown company like Target that thinks itself progressive and focuses so much on community development is unwilling to work on re-developing here. I mean, how many hours of the year is that parking lot >65% full? I know it's not a 100% match, but couldn't they retain a good chunk of parking (or build a second deck with the proceeds from the land sale) and allow something like this to go in?: http://www.terrain.org/articles/28/imag ... wl_3-4.jpg Just bizarre.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 28th, 2014, 10:45 pm

The Hilldale Shopping Center in Madison is being redeveloped quite well. There is a Target next to Hilldale that was built with its parking underneath, and it shares overflow parking capacity with the adjacent Hilldale Shopping Center's north lot. It really is the kind of progressive development I'd imagine Target trying at Hi-Lake.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2014, 10:49 am

Hilldale is high end. Hi-Lake is not. Granted, it can get nicer with good TOD. But perception between Hilldale and Hi-Lake is about as opposite as you could get. Oh, and Hilldale has a good sushi place.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Hi-Lake and Minnehaha Mall Area (Target, Cub, etc.)

Postby minneboom » November 2nd, 2015, 11:00 pm

This site is equally appalling to the Kmart parking lot on Lake. I bike by this empty parking lot everyday and dream of the possibilities. I know the ownership of the property is complicated, but there has to be something that the city can do to push redevelopment. With the Midtown Greenway and the Blue Line so close, this is one of the prime locations in Minneapolis and it is sitting empty. A mixed use building on this site would be amazing and could help continue the transformation of Hi-Lake.

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Lake and Minnehaha Redevelopment (Target Site)

Postby Anondson » November 2nd, 2015, 11:22 pm

Maybe start with up-zone the property preemptively, kind of the way Bloomington did to Southtown. Overlay a zoning district that basically says the city is guiding towards significantly higher density and mixed uses that fit with the transit investments happening.

Maybe plot in easements to guide where future grid connections would run for the day when streets can be built through.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Lake and Minnehaha Area (Target, Cub, etc.)

Postby FISHMANPET » November 3rd, 2015, 9:45 am

Too bad the Corcoran Midtown Revival Plan didn't cross Hiawatha. Longfellow would probably need to take the lead on much of anything here, Corcoran did the revival study with a fat grant from the Knight foundation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 3rd, 2015, 10:01 am

Also don't wanna be guy that says you can't solve X until you solve Y, but you really can't do much in this area until that Hi-Lake intersection is "fixed" in some capacity.

Which is a real actual thing that real people are trying to do: https://www.facebook.com/HumanizeHiLake

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 3rd, 2015, 10:08 am

It's sort of a shame Xcel built their substation where they did on Hiawatha... If it wasn't there, I could see East 28th Street extending east of Hiawatha and through this redevelopment site. If we reconnected more of the grid in this area, we could simply eliminate the ramps at Lake Street and Hiawatha... keep Hiawatha elevated over Lake, but create space for human scale development in the station area along Lake.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 3rd, 2015, 10:47 am

I know that it is not a new idea, but with recent developments I believe this idea is becoming more relevant. The reconstruction of Minnehaha Ave will be done next summer and several new developments are going up on the Corcoran side of Hiawatha. The new developments include the Corcoran Triangle, Midtown Farmers Market/Hennepin County Service Center, and Lake Street Station. The Target/Cub and Rainbow Foods sites are the next logical place for development and it seems that more attention should be devoted to these sites now. The Humanize Hi-Lake movement is a great reference, and there appears to be a lot of public support to propose a new vision for this area.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 3rd, 2015, 6:17 pm

It is good to see development on the other side of Hiawatha getting some press. Now we need to build on this momentum and push for changes at Lake and Minnehaha.

http://www.startribune.com/officials-br ... 339482801/

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » November 8th, 2015, 2:26 pm

I'm with Peter--you absolutely have to de-freeway Hiawatha here and get a human scale intersection between the lrt and this area. Also if that one last freight customer would die off and the railroad would abandon that spur and sell the land it would help a lot because you could bridge the psychological gap between the lake street station and this area.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 8th, 2015, 3:19 pm

I absolutely agree. The latest plans for the Lake St Station were completed in 2001 and it seems like it would be a great time for Minneapolis to revisit this plan. In addition, it would be advantageous if the city started to revision this entire corridor from Franklin Ave to 46th St station and find different ways to deal with Highway 55. Ideally, the city could build on each of the plans for the different stations and develop a cohesive vision for this region. I listed some schematic plans for each station below.

Franklin Ave.

Lake St

38th St

46th St

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 8th, 2015, 11:35 pm

There's also the Corcoran Midtown revival plan: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cped/pl ... d_corcoran
It only covers the the south west quadrant of the Hi-Lake intersection, but it is being used to guide the new developments currently happening there.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 9th, 2015, 8:53 am

Let's try to stick to Hi-Lake, Minnehaha Lake in this thread, rather than getting into every Blue Line station area plan.

I wanted to share with the OP these articles Eric Roper did in the Strib last year:
http://www.startribune.com/high-hopes-f ... 246080551/
http://www.startribune.com/development- ... 247877321/

The second one "Development unlikely at Lake Street Target parking lot" should answer many of the questions about the Target property specifically.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby minneboom » February 9th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Downtown Longfellow! The Lake Street Council is launching a new branding campaign for the businesses located around Minnehaha Ave and Lake Street. It will kick off on the night of Feb 28th and will have special offers from the business in the area. This is already great place to visit and it has a ton of potential, especially with all the work already happening across the Highway in Corcoran, the Lake Street Station, ect. If you want to find out more, just go to the Visit Lake Street facebook page.

"Let your taste buds take a tour of the world in Downtown Longfellow! The restaurants at the intersection of 27th Ave and Lake Street invite you to enjoy an evening of small plates, specialty drinks, live entertainment, prize giveaways and local art vendors from the League of Longfellow Artists (LoLa)!"

"This event is the official launch of Downtown Longfellow, a new commercial district branding effort from the businesses in and around the 27th Ave, Minnehaha Ave & Lake Street intersection. It is home to many restaurants, a brewery, distillery, theater, bike shop, grocery, library, and more!"

It would be great if they could somehow work with the old Rainbow Food and the U.S. Bank parking lots to help add great definition to this commercial node. 27th Ave S already has an downtown feel to it and a thoughtful development on the old Rainbow Foods parking lot could really help.

bronco-guy-24
Block E

Postby bronco-guy-24 » February 9th, 2016, 8:56 pm

I believe all of the US Bank parking has been leased to Sabri for his project next to the Pawn Shop,

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 9th, 2016, 10:16 pm

So they're going to calm that part of Lake St then right?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 9th, 2016, 11:53 pm

That section of 27th Ave could make a great woonerf that could be extended north with redevelopment of the Wendy's/Rainbow/auto parts site.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 10th, 2016, 12:22 am

I really can't imagine Supervalu leaving that old Rainbow undeveloped for long. They're just paying taxes on worthless property right now. Fill it with apartments and you have a (potentially) large amount of captive shoppers for your store across the street.