Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Eat Street

Postby EOst » January 21st, 2016, 9:06 pm

That building looks a lot bigger than the old one. Different number of arches (and the 28th Street side doesn't have arches).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 21st, 2016, 11:00 pm

It just looks like it's in need of a setback. That rendering definitely makes it look top heavy.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 25th, 2016, 11:01 am

https://twitter.com/StribRoper/status/6 ... 8656847872
Via @StribRoper: Rooftop restaurant dining coming to Eat Street? Proposal for Marissa's Bakery/Grocery on Nicollet Ave.

Not very pretty, but it looks like it might be an addition to the existing building?
More detail:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 172415.pdf
The applicant is now proposing to construct a second and third floor addition above the south building. The second floor is intended to be warehouse space for Marissa’s Grocery. The third floor is intended to eventually be a restaurant and reception meeting hall. The total gross floor area of the proposed addition will be 19,980 square feet.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » January 25th, 2016, 11:40 am

Excited to finally see this happen. Last summer they started bringing materials on-site and a lot of the windows were boarded up. Figured they were just doing a renovation; had no idea they were going to add some floors. Should be a nice addition to the neighborhood.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 25th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Glad to see what I hope will turn out to be a better looking building than the hodge podge that is now there at that corner.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 25th, 2016, 1:11 pm

I like it. The drawings of the existing facades don't seem to line up with reality (ex. the north wall shows a bunch of arches along the length while the edge closest to Nicollet is full brick and some glass with an entrance today. the east elevation is also wrong). In general this is awesome, boosting grocery space, removing that curb cut along 28th, a more consistent feeling streetscape along Nicollet, adding a restaurant upstairs, etc. The rooftop landscaping/tables seems like an odd choice given the access point to it, but maybe for private events it wouldn't be weird to walk to the elevator if the restaurant were closed?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 25th, 2016, 2:16 pm

I like the concept. Hate the architecture. What a hodge podge.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 25th, 2016, 4:54 pm

Is there something about the can-do entrepreneurial spirit of immigrants that prevents them from spending money for quality architectural services?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 25th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Probably the spending money part.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » January 25th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Is there something about the can-do entrepreneurial spirit of immigrants that prevents them from spending money for quality architectural services?
As far as I can tell, the plan was done by a civil engineer, not an architect. I like the concept too, but dislike the design.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 26th, 2016, 1:17 am

Yeah what's up with how immigrants are responsible for all the bad architecture ever in America?
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Re: Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Loring, Stevens, Whittier

Postby twincitizen » January 26th, 2016, 8:55 am

Heads up: I merged "Eat Street" and "Nicollet Avenue in Loring Park / Stevens Square" since there was already a bit of overlap going on. I deleted a bunch of now-irrelevant posts from each thread before merging. Proceed.

twincitizen

Re: Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Pa

Postby twincitizen » March 3rd, 2016, 10:49 am

The Nicollet (at Nic/Franklin) is now, or will soon be The Reverie - a vegan/vegetarian joint: http://www.reveriempls.com/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 3rd, 2016, 10:53 am

It is now. Opened late January. It's great! And especially important for their nightly music shows, they now have a surprisingly large selection of tap beers/ciders.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 4th, 2016, 11:36 am

(Taking this over from the Zephyr Depot discussion)
OT: I know that we'd discussed that the Music Box was for sale, but do we know who purchased it?
Yeah, the "Loring Park Campus" of Wooddale Church. There's a silly video with a lot of drone footage of Minneapolis at that link, if you're interested.

Maybe it'll bring some extra foot traffic on Sundays to the diner/coffee shop across the street, but in the end I think it's a real blow. They've already hung up their signs, and it looks tacky and depressed. There's so much dead space in this area: the Hyatt ramp, the two towers on Grant, the parking lot on the corner of old 15th and the meter farm across the street, the bemuraled bunker on the SE corner of 15th, the vacant General J's storefront, and the freeway trench with its 50-year-old bridge... it isn't great. This same problem afflicts most of Franklin from 12th to 24th. It's a hard strip to fall in love with.

I know the Streetcar is controversial here, and maybe for good reason, but I wish someone had a better idea for how to make this place what it could be.
Last edited by EOst on March 4th, 2016, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 4th, 2016, 11:41 am

Wooddale is probably not what I'd like to see here. I guess it's not the worst thing to go in...

Kind of ironic that a historically anti-gay church is going into a pretty gay-friendly neighborhood.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 4th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Ew. At least it's historically protected to they can't wreck it physically.

Ohiosotan
City Center

Re: Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Postby Ohiosotan » April 15th, 2016, 7:45 am

What are they building on the lot just north of Spyhouse? Also, Pimento opened next to Icehouse and is yummy. Kung Fu Noodle next to Shuang Hur is also open, but have yet to eat there.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 15th, 2016, 9:40 am

Zeus Jones is moving into that building north of Spyhouse, and I'm thinking the construction in that lot is just a new entrance to their building.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 16th, 2016, 9:18 am

Lu's Sandwiches remodeled a little bit inside. They seemed to be trying out the Chipotle model, where you name which ingredients you want inside.