LynLake Municipal Lot Redevelopment

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
fittdogg
Block E

Re: LynLake Municipal Lot Redevelopment

Postby fittdogg » January 27th, 2020, 8:59 pm

If you look at the parking study, there are a few things to point out. First is the large study area. Next is the amount of private spaces included in the sample which is 69%. I'd like to know if the 64% overall utilization rate includes private spaces.

You'd have to assume the loss of all parking would hurt the Jungle Theater. An older crowd would be less likely to hunt for a spot to park on the street a few blocks away, especially in the winter. On street parking also looks to be around 80% utilized at peak times. The Garfield Lot can be full a few times a week, so pushing those cars on to the street could make finding parking for residents even harder at times.

One other thing I thought was funny is that the RFP mentions that peak parking times in the Garfield Lot are on Thursdays and Saturdays, which were the only days that the study sampled.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 28th, 2020, 10:48 am

You'd have to assume the loss of all parking would hurt the Jungle Theater.
By now I'd would have thought we could stop assuming a "loss" of parking matters at all. I guess not.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 5th, 2020, 12:47 am

There does need to be some sort of parking option, I think, for a venue like Jungle theater...but I think the 2 apartment buildings on the block across Lyndale have a fair amount of public parking? The one on Aldrich, and the newer one just south of the greenway. As long as they do, I think it is okay...and they may need to employ some athletic valets. Any new development should include at least a few public spaces as well I think. If there wasn't public parking in those buildings (someone correct me if there is not) then I think there would be a need for a small neighborhood municipal ramp for this corner....as there are a few venues within a few blocks either way and I think it will likely become a bigger commercial corner. As long as we are not in Manhattan, yes, a loss of parking does matter in SOME areas for sure, and we still need small municipal type ramps in some areas...or just some public spaces under new apartment buildings. We see that in Chicago, and even in San Francisco, where I currently live...and I don't think it's unreasonable at all. The good news is, less surface parking either way:) And I am sure any new development here will include some public parking.

So basically, I understand places like ACME spazzing out like they did several years ago IF there are no parking options at all within a few blocks. But just as in that case, if a new development includes the same amount of parking, or there are other options nearby...chill!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 5th, 2020, 10:52 am

If private property owners need parking, let them provide it. Why does the city need to have anything to do with it?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 5th, 2020, 11:03 am

They have been providing, it by paying dedicated assessments to purchase and maintain the current parking lot on this land. The city has merely facilitated this arrangement.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 6th, 2020, 11:12 am

If private property owners need parking, let them provide it. Why does the city need to have anything to do with it?
Because the city has a vested interest in keeping its cultural and artistic institutions viable, as they help make Minneapolis what it is. Something like the Jungle is going to have different needs than a restaurant or bar that can rely more on people from the immediate area.

I don't think there needs to be *free* parking necessarily, and I don't think anyone is arguing for that. But pretty much every theater in the TC has some type of parking pretty close by, because their patrons don't just come from the immediate neighborhood or rely on transit.