West Lake Apartments - 3012 Excelsior Blvd

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

West Lake Apartments - 3012 Excelsior Blvd

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2018, 10:00 pm

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... excelsior/

Hotel/restaurant/possible residences planned in a short-ish tower on the BP gas station site at Lake/Excelsior. Very conceptual at this point, but still p cool. It'd be, I dunno, nice if Lake/Excelsior sucked less to walk/bike along given what might happen to this area. A wholesale redevelopment over the next 20 years of the strip malls isn't out of the question, plus the Calhoun Towers and other projects just east of this site. Anyway.
PACKET-http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 209887.pdf
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

West Lake Street Hotel- 3012 Excelsior Blvd (8 stories, 100')

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2018, 10:06 pm

BP gas station replacement plans- now condos and a hotel
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 209887.pdf

First I've seen on this new configuration- Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Re: West Lake Station / Calhoun Village area - multimodal study, development, etc.

Postby Silophant » April 5th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Ooh, a rooftop restaurant. Cool!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Re: West Lake Street Hotel- 3012 Excelsior Blvd (8 stories, 100')

Postby Multimodal » April 6th, 2018, 4:57 am

That bend in Lake St. going east is nice, helping to slow traffic down there—but I wonder if they need a short wall to make pedestrians on that island feel even remotely safe?

That area is terrible right now, so this helps.

In terms of removing that left-hand turn, there is presumably a proposal to redevelop the property on the north side (does it include those old, nice looking apartments)? I presume a new building would use the north entry, off of Dean Pkwy? That would also be a nice change.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » April 6th, 2018, 8:06 am

In terms of removing that left-hand turn, there is presumably a proposal to redevelop the property on the north side (does it include those old, nice looking apartments)? I presume a new building would use the north entry, off of Dean Pkwy? That would also be a nice change.
The Brickstone project is redeveloping the office building property into apartments, but the "old, nice looking apartments" are not part of that project and will remain. With the new building, they are moving the entrance on Lake Street to be closer to those existing apartments (and if I recall, you won't be able to make a left turn from Lake).

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » April 6th, 2018, 8:09 am

Yes! Love this development! What I love more is seeing developers fitting new projects into unorthodox (at least for Mpls.) locations.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 6th, 2018, 9:35 am

This will be great for traffic calming... now if we can cut one (or two!) lanes in each direction on Lake along the lake, things will be much nicer.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 6th, 2018, 11:32 am

I honestly think that this development is a huge step and crucial to turning this area into a walkable urban neighborhood.

Interrupting the massive freewayscape in this area is huge.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » April 6th, 2018, 11:59 am

Huge fan of the planned infrastructure improvements coming to this intersection. A hotel seems the most logical here as I don't think residential units directly abutting the traffic sewer of this area would be an easy sell. The condos set back on top are icing on the cake. Also glad that this will presumably be concrete as opposed to stick.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm

I honestly think that this development is a huge step and crucial to turning this area into a walkable urban neighborhood.

The areal photos in the packet of the site are rather depressing. The parking lot to actual use ratio is like 10:1. Just gotta keep chugging, one lot at a time.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 6th, 2018, 2:54 pm

The areal photos in the packet of the site are rather depressing. The parking lot to actual use ratio is like 10:1. Just gotta keep chugging, one lot at a time.
It will luckily be near the West Lake LRT Station, so hopefully that will deter people from renting a car when they visit, and take LRT downtown, and other destinations.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 6th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I like the built in future rapid bus stop as well!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Setting aside the attractive design of the thing, would any of you, knowing what you do about the area, actually choose to stay in this hotel? Aside from the Bde view, there's really nothing over there.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 6th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Setting aside the attractive design of the thing, would any of you, knowing what you do about the area, actually choose to stay in this hotel? Aside from the Bde view, there's really nothing over there.
Speaking as someone who stayed recently at the Moxy in Uptown, I can see someone older who wants to stay in the Lakes/Uptown vicinity but doesn't like the Moxy vibe staying at this hotel.

If the light rail goes forward, it'll also eventually be within walking distance of a downtown connection.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 6th, 2018, 3:41 pm

I would, I can see a lot of people into biking staying here, it's not really far from uptown, and there is a lot of residential in the uptown area... currently the closest hotel is moxy, and that isn't everyone's vibe.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

West Lake Street Hotel- 3012 Excelsior Blvd (8 stories, 100')

Postby Multimodal » April 6th, 2018, 5:21 pm

1. Rustica, one of the best pastry & coffee shops in the Cities.
2. Punch Pizza, Burger Jones, Wakame sushi, Urban Eatery, fast casual chain restaurants (for the unadventurous), Whole Foods, Ben & Jerry’s, My Burger, Yogurt Lab.
3. Dockless NiceRide with a lake/park and trails right there for biking or jogging/running in a short loop or far away.
4. Night life & a million more food options an Uber ride, bus ride, or long walk away—close, but not too close.
5. Maybe a shuttle to light rail?
6. Great views of the lake & Uptown.
7. Work out at Calhoun Beach Club?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 6th, 2018, 5:30 pm

There are hotels everywhere, for reasons I cannot understand. For instance, who the hell stays at the AmericInn in Mounds View, or the one in Inver Grove Heights?

This one at least has the most popular lake in the metro right at it's doorstep, and the two most popular entertainment districts in the state each within 3 or so miles.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 6th, 2018, 6:03 pm

There are hotels everywhere, for reasons I cannot understand. For instance, who the hell stays at the AmericInn in Mounds View, or the one in Inver Grove Heights?

This one at least has the most popular lake in the metro right at it's doorstep, and the two most popular entertainment districts in the state each within 3 or so miles.
I am sorta with MNdible that this specific location wouldn't appeal to me, but yeah, people,stay in weird places for weird reasons and this will be light rail accessible and right by the lake. Clientele is probably people who are afraid of the city but think the west suburbs are cool. They can experience the former by day if they want but assure themselves their nights are really in the latter. It will be the Linden Hills of hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 6th, 2018, 6:19 pm

I've never understood the appeal of vacationing in Uptown. You go out to dinner and then what?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 6th, 2018, 8:16 pm

I've never understood the appeal of vacationing in Uptown. You go out to dinner and then what?
Go kayaking, go biking, participate in the loppet, visit your friends or family who live in the neighborhoods, go to the museums, go out in uptown, go to a movie at the uptown... I mean quite a bit.