1301 W Lake St - LOCAL Ventures - 14 stories / 160'

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
MplsErik
City Center

Lake and Fremont - 15 stories

Postby MplsErik » June 25th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Sounds like the dirt lot at Lake/Fremont is about to be a thing of the past.

Agenda for the upcoming meeting on July 1:

"Local Ventures development group and BKV Architecture will present plans for a mixed-use project at 1301 and 1409 W. Lake Street in front of the Calhoun square parking ramp. The building will include 452 apartments, 11,400 square feet of ground-level retail, and 307 enclosed parking stalls in a 15-story tower. "

Anondson
IDS Center

Lake and Fremont - 15 stories

Postby Anondson » June 25th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Well!

(How did 2040 rezone this?)

HKM
Metrodome

Re: Lake and Fremont - 15 stories

Postby HKM » June 25th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Well!

(How did 2040 rezone this?)
Transit 10 (description below). I've been wondering if C. Square and Hennepin/Lake were destined for significant redevelopment from retail to primarily residential, really hard even for the suburban malls to be retail only but maybe retail has a better chance if it is just at street level here?

Transit 10:

The Transit 10 district is typically applied along high frequency transit routes, adjacent to METRO stations, in neighborhoods near downtown, and in downtown.

Built Form Guidance: New and remodeled buildings in the Transit 10 district should reflect a variety of building types on both moderate and large sized lots. Building heights should be 2 to 10 stories.Building heights should be at least 2 stories in order to best take advantage of the access to transit, jobs, and goods and services provided by the Transit 10 district.Requests to exceed 10 stories will be evaluated on the basis of whether or not a taller building is a reasonable means for further achieving Comprehensive Plan goals.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 25th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Is there a document to go with the info about this?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 26th, 2020, 6:13 am

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » June 26th, 2020, 8:26 am

If this area is really destined to have both aBRT on Lake Street and light-rail through the Midtown Greenway at some point in the future, it would only seem fitting for the heights of buildings in these areas to increase. Glad to see it though, another empty lot bites the dust (hopefully).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 26th, 2020, 9:47 am

It's going to be interesting to see how they pack that many units in that few floors on that site.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 26th, 2020, 2:51 pm

I agree. Im curious to see how they manage to make it work with the parking ramp. Either way it will be a huge improvement over an empty lot and a parking ramp.
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » June 29th, 2020, 10:10 am

I agree. Im curious to see how they manage to make it work with the parking ramp.
The new or existing parking? The document linked above states the new parking ramp will be entirely enclosed within the building and not visible from the street, utilizing two existing curb-cuts on Fremont and removing one on Lake St. They list a "pro" of the building is blocking the view of the existing mall parking ramp from view of Lake St.

Overall I'm excited to see proposals of taller buildings in this area, and I'm hoping they didn't just propose this taller height only to settle on something smaller.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 29th, 2020, 11:10 am

I fully expect this to not end up as 15 stories but closer to 10-12 which will still be a huge win for the area and will set a precedent for something taller than 7 stories in the area. Not sure about the ramp as it sounds like they will remove the curb cut from lake and Girard? I guess we will find out once the plans come out but I am very curious to see what this ends up looking like.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:55 am

I was on the South Uptown neighborhood call last night where the developers presented their plans for this building. It went about as expected with some supporting the height and others saying it doesn't fit the neighborhood. Also concerns about the rooftop party deck and what the exterior would look like (the renderings didn't have any exterior details). Overall I think the developers took back some good insight, specifically that their plan for the bare minimum affordable unit count of this building was not well received with a proposal of this height and that they need to wow on exterior design/materials.

I thought their design works around the existing mall parking ramp well, but they are proposing way more parking than they probably need.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 2nd, 2020, 9:35 am

From the massing images Wedgelive shared last night it looked pretty bulky for a 15-story.

Kinda feel like I’d prefer it separated in two separated thinner towers at each end of the property. Not a strong feeling though.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » July 2nd, 2020, 9:41 am

Maybe homeless people could pitch tents in the unused parking spaces?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am

No way those home owners dont throw a fit over the massing of this thing. They should maybe make the part next to the mall 15 stories and the fremont side 6-10.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:58 am

Hey can we chill out with this underhanded classist and somewhat racist remarks on the forum? That'd be cool.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

I was on the South Uptown neighborhood call last night where the developers presented their plans for this building. It went about as expected with some supporting the height and others saying it doesn't fit the neighborhood. Also concerns about the rooftop party deck and what the exterior would look like (the renderings didn't have any exterior details). Overall I think the developers took back some good insight, specifically that their plan for the bare minimum affordable unit count of this building was not well received with a proposal of this height and that they need to wow on exterior design/materials.

I thought their design works around the existing mall parking ramp well, but they are proposing way more parking than they probably need.
It's encouraging that the neighborhood pushed for a larger affordable housing component. Assuming that the parking to unit ratio is lower for affordable housing than for market-rate, can cutting back on parking spaces cover part of the cost of boosting the number of affordable units? I'm wondering if someone more knowledgeable than I am about construction costs might tell me if this thought has validity.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 2nd, 2020, 2:34 pm

If the ten-story Dinkytower was rejected for bulk, then this doesn't stand a chance with that massing.

But it's still a pretty early sketch and I wouldn't read much more into it than that. More affordable housing and less parking would of course be a boost, but the tradeoff for a developer is not usually that clean. One can hope and advocate for it though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 2nd, 2020, 2:38 pm

If the ten-story Dinkytower was rejected for bulk, then this doesn't stand a chance with that massing.
I was getting a 15-story Center Village vibe from the massing.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » July 2nd, 2020, 3:38 pm

Hey can we chill out with this underhanded classist and somewhat racist remarks on the forum? That'd be cool.
How is this racist? We need to stop this craziness with the race card in every argument. This is coming from a black man.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » July 2nd, 2020, 8:47 pm

Not trying to take a poke at anything or anyone other than the generous parking allocation. I will admit that seeing people living in tents perhaps 3 blocks from this site on the Greenway (and the general profusion of tents) has had a bit of an effect on me.

I'm fine with bulky buildings if they keep costs down and lead to more affordability.