Karmel Complex - Lake Street

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Silophant

Karmel Complex - Lake Street

Postby Silophant » December 2nd, 2020, 8:52 am

Basim Sabri is proposing a pretty big expansion of the Karmel mall complex. The two-story Karmel Square building midblock on Pleasant and the Walgreens on Lake would be demolished, to make way for an eight-story building containing a grocery store on the ground floor, office space on floors two and three, and 113 apartments on the five floors above. Additionally, the first and fourth floors of the existing parking ramp would be converted into additional retail space to replace the space lost in the existing Karmel Square building. Unfortunately, the attachment portion of the packet wasn't posted, so there's no floorplans or renderings, but it sounds like the tallest portion of the building would face Lake St and step down towards the Greenway.

Mod Note: the eight-story Karmel Square building is under construction as of summer 2021, and plans for a six-story commercial building called Yusuf Corner were submitted in January 2022.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Karmel Square 2020

Postby uptownbro » December 2nd, 2020, 9:29 am

https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/d ... expansion/

Sounds like they upped the size from when this first came out in feb. I think that Walgreens never re opened so there should be little in the way of this breaking ground. Lake st needs all of the positive momentum it can get. I had assume this was dead due to covid. Assuming the design is similar Im glad its not another box but rather has some slight character.
Over all sounds like a great plan for this part of lake street!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 2nd, 2020, 11:46 am

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 2nd, 2020, 1:28 pm

This is quite the proposal and density. Is there a second story playground anywhere else in the city?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 2nd, 2020, 1:38 pm

There's a couple downtown (FAIR School at 10th/Hennepin, the office tower at Nicollet/6th), but I'm not aware of any in other parts of the city.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » December 2nd, 2020, 1:39 pm

Good lord, that's huge! Karmel is going to need its own zip code soon.

Likely to be some issues to hash out on this, but overall a big boon to the neighborhood to replace an emptied out Walgreens with shops, offices, and residents. I also like that it's got a little bit of distinctiveness, even if it isn't......great(?) looking.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » December 2nd, 2020, 1:41 pm

There's a couple downtown (FAIR School at 10th/Hennepin, the office tower at Nicollet/6th), but I'm not aware of any in other parts of the city.
New Horizon on 25th(?) and Hennepin has one too.

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » December 2nd, 2020, 2:10 pm

New Horizon on 25th(?) and Hennepin has one too.
YWCA downtown at 12th & Nicollet as well.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 3rd, 2020, 10:46 am

The New Horizon at 24th & fremont/ hennepin has one.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 3rd, 2020, 10:59 am

The enclosure of the ramp is great. How does the code allows 8 (9?) stories in wood?

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » December 3rd, 2020, 12:39 pm

Usually 5 stories max of wood framing for this type of construction. Based on the exterior elevations and where the building steps back for the playgrounds, it looks like they would construct a 3-level concrete podium, with 5 levels of wood framing above. There's also 3 levels of above ground parking, which fits this construction type. The psuedo 9th level looks to be vaulted ceilings for the 8th level apartments, section 2 on sheet A1.4. I like how the corner turret lightly mirrors the Daymark building further down on Lake.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 3rd, 2020, 2:39 pm

Realistically having an 8/9 story project just a couple blocks from the future redevelopment of Lake and Nicollet is a great president for height and density in the area. With not a lot of other tall structures in the area (aside from the towers just south which i think the neighborhood would try to use to deter new height and density for whatever reason) i think this will help ease the neighborhood into a nice urban density.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » December 4th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Lyndale neighborhood neighbors are pretty pro-Horn Towers but seem to be against any infill over 25 feet tall. Fortunately (?) in the absurdly parochial neighborhood system of Minneapolis, people south of Lake Street have no official say in this project. I'm glad that this project wraps the existing parking deck, even though at present it looks pretty good tucked away surrounded by shorter buildings.

Using the alley off Lake Street as underground parking access for the new building is a big yikes from me. Getting rid of the Walgreens curb cut will be nice but having that new 8-story building blocking sight lines to/from vehicles on Lake will be a mess. Already way too many midblock things going on with this stretch of Lake Street with all the drive throughs and Grand liquors parking lot. Glad that LSD Parts II and III require vacating alley access off Lake - maybe something similar can be done here with this building or in prep for redeveloping the auto body shop.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » December 7th, 2020, 11:28 am

Wow this is a huge proposal. This proposal really elevates Karmel's street presence from Lake St, if only they could have taken over the Wester Union and Enterprise too! I'm not sure how I feel about the tower looking topper on the building, especially after Daymark just added one, but I'm glad to see the density and re-purposing of the existing mall.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 7th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Has anyone here ever been to Karmel Mall? What’s it like?

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 8th, 2020, 1:39 am

Has anyone here ever been to Karmel Mall? What’s it like?
It’s great! I love about 5 blocks up pillsbury. It has a lot of variety and food etc... check it out!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 8th, 2020, 8:10 am

This was approved on the consent agenda last night.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 9th, 2020, 12:17 pm

https://www.startribune.com/somali-mall ... 573343331/

A write up on this. "The city's "B.I.Z." sub planning group will vote on the project Jan 5. The full City Council votes Jan 25."
The more I think about this the more excited I become as this will also set a new standard for the kmart redevelopment

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » February 20th, 2021, 4:59 pm

There's already some activity at this site-- the former Walgreens is completely gutted and open on one side. Glad to see this project going forward!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 22nd, 2021, 1:38 pm

Fingers crossed that this turns out well. Like all of Basim's projects, the plans seem pretty half-baked and the execution often leaves a lot to be desired.