Allina | Abbott Northwestern Hospital Campus

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
COLSLAW5
Metrodome

Allina | Abbott Northwestern Hospital Campus

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 9th, 2021, 9:53 am

Allina is building a new parking ramp up against the green way along chicago ave. The idea is to apparently make it easier for workers to bike to work and is part of a plan to reduce their single occupancy vehicles by 10% by 2026.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... enway.html

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - News & General Topics

Postby Tcmetro » February 9th, 2021, 10:02 am

The world's first traffic-reducing parking garage!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 9th, 2021, 10:03 am

Wonder if that would include a public (ramped) connection from the Greenway up to Chicago. There's stairs on the south side of the Greenway, but on a bike it's a little out of the way.

COLSLAW5
Metrodome

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 9th, 2021, 1:38 pm

On the article picture it appears to be a no. Maybe some stairs?

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » February 9th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Allina is building a new parking ramp up against the green way along chicago ave. The idea is to apparently make it easier for workers to bike to work and is part of a plan to reduce their single occupancy vehicles by 10% by 2026.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... enway.html
I had a couple donuts as a snack yesterday as part of my plan to stay in shape and exercise more.

RedDutch
Block E

Postby RedDutch » February 10th, 2021, 7:48 am

Its a hospital........do you think there are a lot of people (besides maybe workers) that are biking to the hospital?

SurlyLHT
Foshay Tower

Postby SurlyLHT » February 10th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Its a hospital........do you think there are a lot of people (besides maybe workers) that are biking to the hospital?
They have a lot of employees. I know someone who works here and lives in St. Louis Park and bikes to work. He told me he stopped last summer though because too many employees were being mugged.

This also is connected to this:

"Once it is built, Allina will convert space in the campus currently occupied by another parking ramp into a new patient treatment building, though that new building won't be operational until at least 2027"

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 11th, 2021, 9:42 am

I have biked to that hospital (including on a NiceRide) more than once. Wonder if there is publicly available data about the usage of the NiceRide station there.

Probably not many patients biking in (although I could see doing that in some circumstances) but visitors and staff likely do. There's a fairly substantial locked bike parking area in the ramp by the emergency room.

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » February 11th, 2021, 11:00 am

My partner works in a hospital and bikes to work. There's strong demand if the right facilities are provided.

I do hope Allina does redevelop an existing parking ramp into a building, and that this project is intended more as consolidation and not expansion of parking. But the timeline is long, and parking as an induced demand effect that can make it difficult to get rid of.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 12th, 2021, 1:44 pm

On another note, is there any *accountability* for actually performing according to a travel demand management plan?

I used to work for another large institutional employer on the greenway who had TDMPs for their greenway campus in the public record (old planning documents, etc). And then you could easily compare actuals to these plans based on numbers in newer planning documents submitted to the city. It was not good. I wonder if these TDMPs are made to check a box to get a land use approval and that's it.