Allina | Abbott Northwestern Hospital Campus

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 27th, 2012, 11:49 am

I don't see a thread for Abbot Northwestern, Childrens', Allina HQ, etc.

There's a skyway under construction across 26th between Childrens and Abbot.

Also was the MTM parking ramp discussed on Minnescraper? I think many parking structures could benefit from this...
http://goo.gl/maps/h3gL6

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Chicago Ave. - Medical Alley

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 29th, 2012, 7:15 pm

is this in regards to a new development or just a placeholder for development projects along this corridor (if the latter this should probably be its own thread, right)?

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » July 30th, 2012, 9:16 am

So, is it now possible to walk from Lake Street to 25th without going outside?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 30th, 2012, 8:15 pm

It's too bad Mayo Clinic isn't based in the city, unlike John Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic. Having Mayo in the city would not only be an incredible resource to the community, but also likely yet another business cluster of office/medical buildings. Here in Cleveland (where I am now), Cleveland Clinic must have easily 20-25 medical buildings over 10 floors in one area near University Heights on the East Side of Cleveland.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 9th, 2021, 9:53 am

Allina is building a new parking ramp up against the green way along chicago ave. The idea is to apparently make it easier for workers to bike to work and is part of a plan to reduce their single occupancy vehicles by 10% by 2026.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... enway.html

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - News & General Topics

Postby Tcmetro » February 9th, 2021, 10:02 am

The world's first traffic-reducing parking garage!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 9th, 2021, 10:03 am

Wonder if that would include a public (ramped) connection from the Greenway up to Chicago. There's stairs on the south side of the Greenway, but on a bike it's a little out of the way.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 9th, 2021, 1:38 pm

On the article picture it appears to be a no. Maybe some stairs?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 9th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Allina is building a new parking ramp up against the green way along chicago ave. The idea is to apparently make it easier for workers to bike to work and is part of a plan to reduce their single occupancy vehicles by 10% by 2026.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... enway.html
I had a couple donuts as a snack yesterday as part of my plan to stay in shape and exercise more.

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » February 10th, 2021, 7:48 am

Its a hospital........do you think there are a lot of people (besides maybe workers) that are biking to the hospital?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 10th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Its a hospital........do you think there are a lot of people (besides maybe workers) that are biking to the hospital?
They have a lot of employees. I know someone who works here and lives in St. Louis Park and bikes to work. He told me he stopped last summer though because too many employees were being mugged.

This also is connected to this:

"Once it is built, Allina will convert space in the campus currently occupied by another parking ramp into a new patient treatment building, though that new building won't be operational until at least 2027"

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 11th, 2021, 9:42 am

I have biked to that hospital (including on a NiceRide) more than once. Wonder if there is publicly available data about the usage of the NiceRide station there.

Probably not many patients biking in (although I could see doing that in some circumstances) but visitors and staff likely do. There's a fairly substantial locked bike parking area in the ramp by the emergency room.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 11th, 2021, 11:00 am

My partner works in a hospital and bikes to work. There's strong demand if the right facilities are provided.

I do hope Allina does redevelop an existing parking ramp into a building, and that this project is intended more as consolidation and not expansion of parking. But the timeline is long, and parking as an induced demand effect that can make it difficult to get rid of.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 12th, 2021, 1:44 pm

On another note, is there any *accountability* for actually performing according to a travel demand management plan?

I used to work for another large institutional employer on the greenway who had TDMPs for their greenway campus in the public record (old planning documents, etc). And then you could easily compare actuals to these plans based on numbers in newer planning documents submitted to the city. It was not good. I wonder if these TDMPs are made to check a box to get a land use approval and that's it.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Re: Allina | Abbott Northwestern Hospital Campus

Postby gopherfan » February 18th, 2022, 9:51 am

Quite the expansion being planned by Abbott Northwestern by removing their crumbling parking ramp. https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... h%20St%20EImage

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 18th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Kind of impressed (not in a good way) that they could make this massive investment have next to zero impact on the surrounding neighborhood or even improve the frontage along 10th Avenue, which will still be looking at parked cars. This is more of an observation than criticism, though of course the frontage on 10th should be better than what's proposed.

Any time I pass through or even think about this major medical district in Minneapolis, I can't help but feel that the City/County/State-MetCouncil have failed it, repeatedly, for decades. I'm not saying the neighborhood should be fancier, and all the poor people driven out or anything like that. I'm really just looking at the lack of investments in physical infrastructure like roadways, sidewalks, transit, district signage / placemaking / public art, or simple zoning code stuff like requiring retail on Chicago Avenue frontages, etc. I cannot help but feel that government on all levels has failed to send any signal to the public (workers, visitors or residents) that this area is regionally significant and cared for. The whole area just feels like a huge unplanned/unloved mess that almost no one would miss if it vanished tomorrow, even though thousands of people work and visit here daily. And again, I'm not really referring to the surrounding poverty issues, dilapidated housing, etc...that feels like a separate issue from the cohesiveness & branding of the medical district properties and public ROW. Do others feel the same way?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 18th, 2022, 2:41 pm

That’s a great point. Agreed.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 18th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Wonder if this will allow them to eliminate the last of their semi-private rooms (or maybe more phases will be required to do that?)