Midtown / Phillips Community - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Midtown / Phillips Community - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » September 14th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Since we have a topic now, I have an idea:

The whole Phillips community (which was always just called Phillips, but since 2002 has been segmented into west, midtown, east and Ventura Village*) should be re-branded as "Midtown". We already seem to have applied that name to the entire stretch of Lake Street from just east of 35W to Hiawatha, and Midtown Global Market is a pretty established landmark at the center of that stretch. This is a perfect example of where the city should lean in to the neighborhood names people are already using, rather than futile attempts to create "east town" out of thin air. I understand the Phillips name has been around forever but I've never really heard anyone say "Phillips", though admittedly I don't know anyone that actually lives in that part of town. This generally follows my argument that Minneapolis has far too many neighborhoods and we should instead use the larger "community" designations.

*Citation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillips,_Minneapolis

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Phillips-East Phillips-Ventura Village General Topics

Postby Tcmetro » September 14th, 2021, 3:28 pm

I lived in Phillips in the 90s when I was young and I never really got the Midtown thing. I always thought it was invented to side-step the crime stigma in the area.

I guess with the Midtown Greenway, the Midtown Market and the Midtown light rail station, important landmarks have taken the name. It's been a long time since I've had anything to do with the area, so I wouldn't be surprised if new residents use the Midtown moniker so it might worthwhile to change it.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » September 16th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned in a different thread, but this project proposed for the vacant lot at 2313 13th Ave S looks like a great addition to this area; will definitely want to check out the compressed earth block construction, as well as the finished space!

http://indigenouspeoplestf.org/mikwaned ... g-project/
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 22nd, 2021, 8:05 pm

Franklin Street Bakery has been sold to/merged with Michigan Bread Co. Both locations will be rebranding as The Good Bread Co., ending our long perplexing nightmare of having a business called "Franklin Street" located on Franklin Avenue.

Hoo boy does "Franklin" not look like a word anymore.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 23rd, 2021, 9:44 am

Franklin Street Bakery has been sold to/merged with Michigan Bread Co. Both locations will be rebranding as The Good Bread Co., ending our long perplexing nightmare of having a business called "Franklin Street" located on Franklin Avenue.

Hoo boy does "Franklin" not look like a word anymore.
Raising the question of why an east/west street is an avenue in the first place.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 22nd, 2022, 9:56 am

Midtown Global Market getting a refresh and some new food production spaces downstairs
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... arket.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 28th, 2023, 10:00 am

Glad to see this one moving towards completion -
Decades-vacant Minneapolis apartment building finally being rehabbed
HOPE Community and City of Lakes Community Land Trust are renovating a neighborhood eyesore into affordable condos.
https://strib.gift/mno60b45v

Some background- https://strib.gift/mno60b45v

Plans- https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Download ... tation.pdf
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southside - News & General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 17th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Wells Fargo mortgage campus to be sold. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ampus.html

Didn’t they just add a parking ramp?

Silophant

Re: Southside - News & General Topics

Postby Silophant » April 17th, 2023, 1:54 pm

They sure did. Looks like at least one of those buildings is a data center, based on the number of HVAC units on the roof. Wonder if anyone will ever come up with a decent way to reuse obsolete data center buildings - it seems even more challenging than an office-to-residential conversion. Or maybe its just upgrading in place that's hard, and once it's empty it's easier to gut and retrofit with modern equipment?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 17th, 2023, 2:04 pm

Wells Fargo mortgage campus to be sold. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ampus.html

Didn’t they just add a parking ramp?
Bulldoze it all and build housing!

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » April 26th, 2023, 10:49 am

One of the buildings there (the one closest to the freeway) is relatively new and has a modern design, but the old Honeywell campus is a mishmash of awkward spaces. It will be interesting to see what becomes of it - it does seem like it might be more valuable overall as a teardown but perhaps a blow to the property tax rolls.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 26th, 2023, 11:40 am

One of the buildings there (the one closest to the freeway) is relatively new and has a modern design, but the old Honeywell campus is a mishmash of awkward spaces. It will be interesting to see what becomes of it - it does seem like it might be more valuable overall as a teardown but perhaps a blow to the property tax rolls.
Any chance they just mothball it until they need it if they can't sell it? Also the article notes that they're looking for more amenities and flexibilities. That they chose Downtown Minneapolis is good.

Also...I hope they do something with the garden, it's a gem. Maybe gift to the Park Board?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 27th, 2023, 10:27 am

The Native American Community Clinic is intending to build a new mixed-use building for their clinic and affordable housing on the parking lot of the existing clinic/former strip mall just west of the Franklin Ave Aldi. The existing building would be demolished afterwards for a replacement parking lot.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: Midtown / Phillips Community - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » May 4th, 2023, 2:38 pm

I pulled the Wells Fargo Home Mortgage campus conversation into this smaller thread, as I figure it will be an ongoing conversation for a couple years at least.

Biz Journals had an article today (locked): www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/202 ... pment.html

In summary, the article quotes various CRE professionals on the question of what will happen to it. They agree that an office user will eventually come along for the newer building (c. 2005) smooshed up against the freeway. The ability to have your company's name in huge letters on that building facing 35W is too great an opportunity to pass up, though it may take longer to lease up than other corporate campuses around the metro. They also note the new NB 35W exit to 28th St as a selling point, as it basically takes you right to the front door. The older Honeywell building will make way for housing, whether through conversion or teardown. They also note that the site is located in an Opportunity Zone, so that could unlock some additional gov't funding for redevelopment.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 5th, 2023, 11:42 am

I'd really hope that at least the central historic portion of the Honeywell building is retained -- it's a very handsome building, it's a reminder of the history of Honeywell's development in Minneapolis, and it appears to have nice narrow floor plates (if you scrape off some of the additions to the east). The taller building immediately north of the central block also appears to have narrow floor plates that should make a residential conversion easier.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » June 12th, 2023, 11:29 am

Speaking of Honeywell, it was crazy to drive past their huge campus just outside of Glasgow the other day - looks very similar to their old place by the Quarry - low and long.