Uptown Theatre

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown Theatre

Postby ECtransplant » August 18th, 2012, 1:07 pm

There's also the surface lot behind the uptown theater that really needs to get developed into something

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » August 20th, 2012, 3:46 pm

I thought the McDonalds was the heart of some uptown music scene that existed before a lot of us were born, so people think it is historic or culturally significant.
They tore that down to build the new McDonalds, the one that is currently standing. That was around the mid 90s. Once they tore down the old McDonalds and built the new one those people stopped hanging out there.

The punk rock McDonalds was an amusing place. It wasn't just punk rockers but all sorts of assorted freaks. I think I still have a hare krishna pamphlet someone gave me there.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 30th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Ah, fond memories of the Uptown. I was friends with much of the staff there in the '80's back when it showed films in repertory. Every weekend the staff and invited friends would watch an after-hours movie picked by the projectionist and it wouldn't start until 1 am or so. Maybe 20 people just hanging out. And the choice would usually be a small film that was clever or provocative. I think I first saw Dark Star and maybe Barbarella in one of those screenings. And there was plenty of booze!

Man, I wish the repertory thing would come back. I saw so many great classic films at the Uptown. It was there that I was introduced (on the big screen! Yea!) to films like Sunset Boulevard, The Women, All About Eve, The Philadelphia Story, The Lion in Winter, Vertigo, Rebel Without a Cause, A Clockwork Orange... Oh damn, I am starting to tear up!!! The Uptown was where I saw these classics for the first time. There was a richness to the experience and I'm glad I didn't see them on someone's big-screen TV in a basement in Plymouth. Chalk it up to youth, but Effin'-Ay, I consider those experiences to be defining moments in my character.

Sitting there in that vast, slightly dank space and watching these brilliant films on this huge screen with hundreds of other people. Wow, it was magical.

I've edited this post a few times now. I look back and now see how emotional the experience was. Sorry if I sound sappy. But in retrospect I must have been a very lucky person.
Last edited by Avian on August 30th, 2012, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 30th, 2012, 6:01 pm

^ In that era Uptown had a great soul. I Loved to eat at Sherman's Bakery. Wish there was a restaurant like that now!

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » August 30th, 2012, 7:52 pm

I get a weekly newsletter email from Landmark and it says the Uptown reopens September 14.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » September 13th, 2012, 11:24 am

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 14th, 2012, 12:06 am

Attended the pre opening. Nice. Opinions later
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 14th, 2012, 6:58 am

I thought pictures were limited to 900 pixels, this place is gonna end up looking like that Skyscraper city site. Its worse than MySpace for Chirssakes.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 14th, 2012, 7:18 am

Woops. Not easy to upload/download/resize from a phone. I will have to redo that post at the office.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2012, 1:36 pm

I thought pictures were limited to 900 pixels, this place is gonna end up looking like that Skyscraper city site. Its worse than MySpace for Chirssakes.
if you're posting them from on online url it's 900, but if you're actually uploading an attachment it's whatever.