Motiv Apartments - 2320 Colfax Avenue S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
alleycat
Landmark Center

Re: 2316-2320 Colfax Apartments

Postby alleycat » March 21st, 2014, 11:21 am

OK. Well the move would have cost $120K. I didn't know that number. I can't reveal the buyer unfortunately. Let's just say it didn't work out. I just wanted to post something from the other perspective. See if there was some middle ground. I'm guessing this is a lost cause at this point. Either the city council approves the demo and you get the new development or the property sits in limbo.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 21st, 2014, 11:25 am

I also have to disagree with his take on subsidies. If it's more expensive to move the house than it is to demolish and build new, and if the goal is affordable housing, wouldn't it make more sense to subsidize the new development than to subsidize a more expensive project?

Also, Brian's story makes Lander out to be some evil capitalist because he didn't want to donate money to save the building. Yes, it would cut into his profits (evil capitalism!), but on the other hand, maybe like many of us, he didn't think the building was worth saving?

mcrow25115
Block E

Postby mcrow25115 » March 23rd, 2014, 1:09 pm

I’m Mike Crow the owner of the property at 2320 Colfax. I was really amazed at the support and presentation of the people that came to the HPC hearing and would like to thank them for it.
One of the arguments was that the building was not marketed as a single family home, I did not care what someone wanted to buy it for, but I listed it as what it was. For tax purposes it’s listed as an apartment building, it’s insured as an apartment building and if you were to see what it looks like on the inside after the renovation from the major fire in 1991 it looks like an apartment building. Another reason I had listed it as a rooming house or multifamily was that I would not have to displace the tenants that live there. At the time that I listed 2320 Colfax I did not even list the building next door that is over 2/3 of the land that the development needs to move forward, my original plan was to sell 2320 and remodel 2316 and move into it. It was only after I was approached about selling both properties for development that I agreed to sell both. The commissioner that said it was never listed, was mistaken, in 2010 it was listed on Loopnet, Zillow, Craig’s list, oodle and I had contacted at least 8 different real state company’s in the area and gave them all the same opportunity to sell it as whatever they could, the only thing I had requested is that I wanted them to look for a potential buyer that could be vetted, because I did not want every curious person interrupting my tenants life’s every other day, I think any rental property owner can understand that, and that I did not want a sign so that it did not make the tenants upset and move. In 2012 I listed it with Tom Dunn from Terra firma commercial, because He agreed with everything and assured me that he knew people that would have an interest in the property. In 2010 shortly after having had a back surgery and my second open heart surgery, 11 months apart, I was desperate to sell because my financing was running out, and I had received a couple of hit on my credit due to medical bills, and was afraid I would not be able to get refinanced, so I listed the building for $200,000. Below appraised value and still could not sell it. Luckily the bank that I had been with for many years, Sunrise bank came through and I was able to get some short term financing. While I had it on the market I had at least 12 showings, mostly organizations that use this type of housing, without an offer. I have owned the property for almost 23 years; it has always had the correct R-6 zoning and has been inspected by the City of MPLS, for its historical value 2 times in the past and both times they said because of all of the changes it did not qualify for a historical designation. So I sold it for what I thought I had the right to. The HPC was used as a means to an end, and was not brought in for 8 months or until the old PTB could not stop the apartments from being built any other way. The delays have damaged every part of my life, family, finances and delayed a more serious back surgery that I need, to be able and find out what I will be able to do the rest of my working life, If I can’t sell the building, I can’t afford the up to a year of recovery time without and income or someone to manage the property. None of the HPC commissioners looked at the interior of the property, and I don’t know if any looked at the exterior other than pictures, and there is no way you can make an informed decision without. I have filed an appeal with the City council and hopefully they will be able to find the time in the next few weeks to look at the building for them self or at least some of them.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 23rd, 2014, 4:30 pm

I’m Mike Crow the owner of the property at 2320 Colfax. I was really amazed at the support and presentation of the people that came to the HPC hearing and would like to thank them for it.
One of the arguments was that the building was not marketed as a single family home, I did not care what someone wanted to buy it for, but I listed it as what it was. For tax purposes it’s listed as an apartment building, it’s insured as an apartment building and if you were to see what it looks like on the inside after the renovation from the major fire in 1991 it looks like an apartment building. Another reason I had listed it as a rooming house or multifamily was that I would not have to displace the tenants that live there. At the time that I listed 2320 Colfax I did not even list the building next door that is over 2/3 of the land that the development needs to move forward, my original plan was to sell 2320 and remodel 2316 and move into it. It was only after I was approached about selling both properties for development that I agreed to sell both. The commissioner that said it was never listed, was mistaken, in 2010 it was listed on Loopnet, Zillow, Craig’s list, oodle and I had contacted at least 8 different real state company’s in the area and gave them all the same opportunity to sell it as whatever they could, the only thing I had requested is that I wanted them to look for a potential buyer that could be vetted, because I did not want every curious person interrupting my tenants life’s every other day, I think any rental property owner can understand that, and that I did not want a sign so that it did not make the tenants upset and move. In 2012 I listed it with Tom Dunn from Terra firma commercial, because He agreed with everything and assured me that he knew people that would have an interest in the property. In 2010 shortly after having had a back surgery and my second open heart surgery, 11 months apart, I was desperate to sell because my financing was running out, and I had received a couple of hit on my credit due to medical bills, and was afraid I would not be able to get refinanced, so I listed the building for $200,000. Below appraised value and still could not sell it. Luckily the bank that I had been with for many years, Sunrise bank came through and I was able to get some short term financing. While I had it on the market I had at least 12 showings, mostly organizations that use this type of housing, without an offer. I have owned the property for almost 23 years; it has always had the correct R-6 zoning and has been inspected by the City of MPLS, for its historical value 2 times in the past and both times they said because of all of the changes it did not qualify for a historical designation. So I sold it for what I thought I had the right to. The HPC was used as a means to an end, and was not brought in for 8 months or until the old PTB could not stop the apartments from being built any other way. The delays have damaged every part of my life, family, finances and delayed a more serious back surgery that I need, to be able and find out what I will be able to do the rest of my working life, If I can’t sell the building, I can’t afford the up to a year of recovery time without and income or someone to manage the property. None of the HPC commissioners looked at the interior of the property, and I don’t know if any looked at the exterior other than pictures, and there is no way you can make an informed decision without. I have filed an appeal with the City council and hopefully they will be able to find the time in the next few weeks to look at the building for them self or at least some of them.
You should get Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict involved. She will at least bring some attention to what is going on.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 23rd, 2014, 4:33 pm

She fought to "save" the building last time around, so no, she wouldn't help in the least.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 23rd, 2014, 4:42 pm

Indeed, she has been intimately a cause of his extended suffering.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 23rd, 2014, 5:08 pm

For the record, here's here attempt at "helping" the situation:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 23rd, 2014, 7:00 pm

Also, Brian's story makes Lander out to be some evil capitalist because he didn't want to donate money to save the building. Yes, it would cut into his profits (evil capitalism!), but on the other hand, maybe like many of us, he didn't think the building was worth saving?
Or, he could consider it a cost of doing business to get the project done. There's a lot of groupthink here and I appreciate alleycat bringing new information and a different, helpful perspective.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 23rd, 2014, 7:05 pm

If such a deal ever existed (which, to be honest, i'm doubtful it ever did), and Lander chose not to pay (aka be extorted), I doubt he did it out of principal, maybe he thought the city council would be reasonable and allow his project to go forward?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 15th, 2014, 7:46 pm

I apologize for being slow to remind you, but the deadline for comment before the Z&P Committee meeting is NOON WEDNESDAY, 4/16.

Feel free to copy and personalize from the message below (in bold):

Thursday, April 17 at 9:30AM the Zoning & Planning (Z&P) Committee will review the Heritage Preservation Commission’s (HPC) March 18 vote to preserve a property at 2320 Colfax Avenue South. Encourage the Z & P Committee to overrule the HPC’s recommendation. There are three things you can do to support Minneapolis accommodating more residents.

Attend the Z&P Committee meeting AND testify in support of the demolition permit – 9:30AM April 17, 2014, City Hall Room 317
Send an e-mail to the Z&P Committee, chaired by Ward 10 City Council member, Lisa Bender, and staff (see below for email addresses)
Ask your friends and colleagues to do the same, by sharing this on Facebook, through Twitter, and by e-mail
Please forward the following email message (plus any additions you deem fit) to the Z&P Committee…

· Lisa Bender (chair) - [email protected]
· Andrew Johnson (vice-chair) – [email protected]
· Lisa Goodman – [email protected]
· Abdi Warsame – [email protected]
· Kevin Reich – [email protected]
· Barbara Johnson – [email protected]

· John Smoley (staff) – [email protected])

…By noon Wednesday, April 16:

Members of the Zoning & Planning Committee,

My name is _________ and I live at __________.
Please vote to overturn the HPC’s ruling to preserve the property located at 2320 Colfax Avenue South. Please vote FOR demolition for the following reasons:
• Historic Reconnaissance Surveys have ruled out this property as constituting a historic resource. The city hired surveyors to look at each and every property in Lowry Hill East, looking for properties that might be designated a historic resource. These historians and architects decided 2320 Colfax did not merit further research.
• City planner John Smoley wrote a staff report supporting the demolition of 2320 Colfax, and there are dozens of better examples of T.P. Healy's work in the neighboring blocks.
• Many HPC commissioners who voted to deny the demo permit focused on the architectural potential of 2320 Colfax, not its actual state. This disregards the Secretary of the Interior's guidelines, and could set a drastic precedent. Legally-mandated renovation is an unreasonable measure.
• The HPC overreached with their decision, violating the city charter.
• It has been nearly one year since the proposed redevelopment project for the property was given a reprieve to pursue preservation, and no preservation option has emerged; the only potential buyer for the property is the developer.
• This property cannot be viably preserved, as the costs to acquire and restore exceed the possible value of doing so. The exterior has lost most of its historic character such that it may not be eligible for historic preservation dollars. Furthermore, the interior condition has been altered and is not appealing for an individual to renovate, nor is it appealing for use in its existing form.
• Voting for demolition allows the proposed infill redevelopment to move forward. What is currently proposed, a 45-unit apartment project (on 2320 Colfax as well as an adjacent property, 2316 Colfax), would take advantage of a walkable and transit-rich location, as well as a number of interior green features to promote sustainable living in Minneapolis. The proposed project meets a number of the objectives laid out in the city’s comprehensive plan and adds to the city's tax base.
• The proposed development would be transit-oriented, environmentally-friendly and good for the neighborhood.
Please vote in favor of the appeal to overrule the HPC’s decision on April 17th.
Thank you,

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 16th, 2014, 10:05 am

Ouch, so I used this template and received this back from Lisa Goodman. "Thanks for the e-mail, this looks exactly like several others I received so clearly a mass e-mail. Thanks for your opinion. Lisa"

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 16th, 2014, 10:23 am

I just emailed a non-form letter.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 16th, 2014, 10:36 am

Lisa Goodman is always sassy. It's great when you agree with her, and frustrating when you disagree.

I purposely left her off of my email, because I know she'll be voting against the appeal and has said as much in response to others. She has also stated that she would not be vocal in her opposition though, which is good to hear. Perhaps it's best not to poke the bear though, so I'd suggest that others leave her off the email as well (unless you are going to write something completely original).

I mostly used the form email, which originated from Sam Newberg (Joe Urban), but made some edits and re-arranged it. The above copy is my edit (minus my personal touches)

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 17th, 2014, 1:57 am

wow what a horrible politician. "A whole bunch of people agree on this issue so i'm going to ignore their opinions because they are similar to each other's"

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 17th, 2014, 3:20 am

Meh. If someone doesn't care enough to do more than copy and paste, I probably wouldn't give a lot of weight to those specific emails either.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 17th, 2014, 7:15 am

Meh. If someone doesn't care enough to do more than copy and paste, I probably wouldn't give a lot of weight to those specific emails either.
I didn't say I didn't add my own thoughts... I said I used the template.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 17th, 2014, 9:13 am

How is that functionally different than signing a petition? The point is they sent an email in support of one side, with points to back it up. It should be taken into consideration. What is the opposition doing?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 17th, 2014, 9:17 am

I also wouldn't give (especially online) petitions a lot of weight. Not saying they shouldn't be considered at all, just that someone who actually takes the time to write out their own thoughts instead of copy-pasting someone elses probably has a more developed opinion and cares more about the issue

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 17th, 2014, 9:31 am

Just tuning in, is this lady saying that the City Council has no authority to override the HPC?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 17th, 2014, 10:08 am

Appeal granted in support of demolition, 5-1 with Lisa Goodman the only Nay vote.