Motiv Apartments - 2320 Colfax Avenue S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Anondson
IDS Center

2320 Colfax Avenue Apartments

Postby Anondson » March 4th, 2015, 10:52 pm

I'm not sure there is a willingness to elevate the conversations. It feels like perpetual grievance theater of petty neighborhood busybodies. Give them their way, or else they pound the table harder and harder. Trying to engage a discussion becomes suspicion you are against their plans because they wanted a silent population blissfully submissive.

I am sympathetic to responding to this behavior with mockery and daylighting.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: 2320 Colfax Avenue Apartments

Postby FISHMANPET » March 4th, 2015, 11:20 pm

You said it way better than I possibly could have. I'm not sure there's a group here that can be reasoned with, they want to be the victims.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 5th, 2015, 8:05 am

Just as a supporting anecdote to that notion, a bunch of us (Peter and I early on) really tried to engage MRRDC early on with constructive discussions about Frank/Lyn. I think everyone here can agree that I'm pretty far to the 'market urbanism' side of things (with a strong eye toward environmentalism), but I really made an effort to be respectful, acknowledge certain grievances, and put a context to some of the facts to help them (her) see what negotiating tactics might be worthwhile endeavors. We were blocked/deleted within, what, a month? Maybe I didn't do a good enough job being respectful (I have nothing to refer back to now). But the same went for a ton of people months later who called out what was clearly petty name calling (Bendrification). Maybe that just points to the internet being a bad place for productive conversations, I'm not sure. What's important to remember is that this person is a LHENA board member. So, while I haven't attended any LHENA meetings, I can only imagine how difficult-to-impossible it would be to rationally engage with some of them.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » March 6th, 2015, 11:29 am

As it stands, if one side flings mud, I don't see a problem with the other side flinging mud back.
Wedge Live doesn't just exist to cover 2320 Colfax, right? Yet I see the same style on other stories.

The problem with your statement above is that it falls right into the trap the Norquists of the world have set. They *want* the discussion to devolve because it turns people off from engaging, thereby ceding power to them.
I basically agree with you in theory, but honestly, I think the main thing turning people off of neighborhood politics is that it is deadly boring for normal residents. WedgeLive is well-written, entertaining, and if it's throwing around some sharp elbows from time to time, they're coming from a distinct perspective that a lot of people share. Frankly, there's a certain degree of absurdity surrounding a lot of what goes down in this neighborhood (I mean, come on, those signs), and I do appreciate a blog that can provide intelligent perspectives on these issues while poking at that absurdity. Someone mentioned John Oliver and I think that's actually a pretty apt comparison -- like Oliver, WedgeLive is providing commentary leavened by snark, not just a pure fountain of vitriol like, for instance, the anonymous facebook groups. Maybe I'm drawing too fine a line, but I don't think we can expect political participation in the real world to always be completely bloodless.

Also, re: Hodges stepping in -- I think the disgusting misogyny of the attacks on Bender sort of made it necessary. Politics of 2320 Colfax notwithstanding, it's hard to sit idly while a member of your government is subjected to an semi-orchestrated campaign of gendered bullying by a prominent private citizen.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 6th, 2015, 2:51 pm

I think the main thing turning people off of neighborhood politics is that it is deadly boring for normal residents. WedgeLive is well-written,
That's certainly true. It really comes down to a lack of training in how to organize effective meetings. One major rule: always have an action for people to take. No one likes endless talking.
Also, re: Hodges stepping in -- I think the disgusting misogyny of the attacks on Bender sort of made it necessary. Politics of 2320 Colfax notwithstanding, it's hard to sit idly while a member of your government is subjected to an semi-orchestrated campaign of gendered bullying by a prominent private citizen.
Yeah, that's how I look at it too. I certainly understand the view of those who think the mayor somehow legitimized Curtis and gave the news story legs. But the attacks were so extreme that they demanded a response. I don't know if the mayor was the right person to do that but I honestly can't think of a better answer.

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » March 10th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Nicole Curtis/Healy Project/MRRDC shitstorm aside, has anyone heard a thing about when construction begins on the new 2320 Colfax?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 30th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Jesus Christ. A Northsider is going after a Wedge board member on Facebook because she supported the Orth demolition. Now a certain Wedge agitator has joined in along with someone else who has no information about the issue.

The sad thing is that said board member has done amazing work to advance equity, particularly in North Minneapolis.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 13th, 2015, 11:55 am

Major excavation going on site today.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » May 13th, 2015, 11:56 am

Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 13th, 2015, 11:58 am

HOTTEA already hit the fences. Nice

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » June 12th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 13th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Is there an updated rendering of this project?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 29th, 2015, 9:17 am

I do have to admit it's weird to see a crane in this neighborhood. Not upset by any means, just hasn't happened in my memory. Excited for reasonable density to not cause Armageddon in the wedge!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 29th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I do have to admit it's weird to see a crane in this neighborhood. Not upset by any means, just hasn't happened in my memory.
Er...Mozaic?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 29th, 2015, 2:19 pm

I do have to admit it's weird to see a crane in this neighborhood. Not upset by any means, just hasn't happened in my memory.
Er...Mozaic?
And all the greenway buildings... but those are more suited to be considered Uptown or LynLake. This part of the wedge is different, I think that's pretty obvious. There hasn't really been modern high density housing built since the what early 70s?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 29th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Yeah, the closest would probably be Le Paris.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 29th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Walked by this afternoon and saw how things had progressed. It looks like some sort of garage is building on the ground floor in the back corner. Was surprised to see stick construction on the first floor where it was not part of the garage enclosure. With this address I had forgotten that it is actually on the corner of 24th and Colfax.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 15th, 2015, 6:33 pm

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » September 9th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Website is up. Looks like the name is Motiv.

http://motivapartments.com/

EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Motiv - (2320 Colfax Ave)

Postby EOst » September 10th, 2015, 5:49 am

Motiv? Now all they need is the murder weapon.