[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby David Greene » November 29th, 2016, 11:41 pm

Julian had his very first meal out of the hospital there.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » November 30th, 2016, 12:50 am

Last time I got a pizza from there it was garbage compared to what they used to be.
IMHO if you're gonna offer jalapenos as a topping they should be fresh ones, not the kind from a jar.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 30th, 2016, 3:17 pm

The house just south of zrs fossil, caffreys, and smitten kitten has been demolished.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » December 2nd, 2016, 3:04 pm

The house just south of zrs fossil, caffreys, and smitten kitten has been demolished.
Yea, saw that too. Any idea what is going in?

I wish it could be combined with the lot and building to the south and re-developed!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 2nd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Back in 2012-13ish, the former "H Design Salon" building and the house were being marketed for sale for a while. But instead the salon building was rehabbed and reopened as Sola Salon Studios. I'd guess the house was just too far gone and not worth the upkeep / cheaper to tear it down.

Far as I can tell, the house and the salon building remain under the same ownership. Unless the salon business falters or wants to sell, my bet is no development here anytime soon. If demand for housing in Uptown continues, this would be an ok site. Anyone know if Lime ever got fully leased up? I know it was slower going than expected & slower than similar properties to the west / closer to the lakes.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 2nd, 2016, 3:22 pm

The property was in the City's Vacant Building Registration, leaving the owner with the choice to bring it up to code, demolish it, or pay an annual fine of ~$7000. Looks like the owner chose demolition.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 13th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Green Mill closing, per Peter Callaghan on Twitter.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » December 13th, 2016, 1:09 pm

^Has that been rumored for awhile, or is there some other potential proposal that's been floating around? Seems like that's not a surprise (and not simply because it's a rather generic restaurant...).

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 13th, 2016, 1:11 pm

It's confirmed. Strib says it will become a Red Cow and Bizjournals are saying Green Mill is looking Downtown. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... looks.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 13th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Didn't mnmike say Embassy Suites spot?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 13th, 2016, 1:57 pm

I wonder if Dzubnar is selling the property...he owns Green Mill and half of the FirstTech property (he sold the southern half of FirstTech to the Walgreens developer). He made some cash on that sale (having just bought it from FirstTech a year prior), but also presumably lost a ton of money on the failed Scena Tavern (Walkway building), which still hasn't reopened with a new concept...

EDIT: Strib article mentions that it was a sale, no price disclosed http://www.startribune.com/uptown-resta ... 406326566/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 20th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Surprised they lasted this long in that space. Terrible cursed restaurant space...
http://heavytable.com/prairie-dogs-close-now/

Take out the angled windows, move the door to one side in a square recessed entry, new plate glass... THEN something might stay open. Until then, how about another vape shop?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 21st, 2016, 9:15 am

I really don't think it has much to do with the location or the layout. Their menu was just too limited and pricey: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 201609.pdf

~$11+ for a hot dog or brat and chips (+$2 for fries). Yes, they're good! But at the end of the day, the menu was still fairly limited, and getting a group of 4+ to head to Prairie Dogs for a couple drinks and some food was a tough sell. Compare their prices to New Bohemia a couple blocks down Lake: http://www.newbohemiausa.com/wurst/ They not only have better prices ($12-13 gets you a brat, fries, AND a beer), but they also have a kid's menu and burgers. If you're looking for (admittedly less fancy) Chicago-style dogs and Italian Beef, here are the prices at Chris & Rob's (née Joey D's): http://www.chrisandrobs.com/menu.php (and yes, I know it's way across town, but those are the prices I expect for a 'dog).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 21st, 2016, 9:39 am

It's probably both. Lynlake completely dies off here. Just 200' east of the intersection, you hit blocks and blocks of vacant lots and car shops. Dulonos and Fuji Ya are both legacy/destination restaurants and seem to do ok. But foot traffic to the east is very limited (liquor store and not much else). East of Lake & Grand is basically an entirely separate world / economic system from LynLake.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 21st, 2016, 9:57 am

East of Lake & Grand is basically an entirely separate world / economic system from LynLake.
I think it's fair to say that east of Lake & Garfield is basically an entirely separate world.

The Lyn-Lake intersection is in some ways on the edge/boundary of the Lyn-Lake "neighborhood," since it really bleeds west toward Uptown. What's interesting is that the more north you go into Whittier, the further east the "world" extends. Nicollet & 26th is more like Lyn-Lake than Lake & Harriet or Lake & Grand.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » December 21st, 2016, 10:15 am

I really don't think it has much to do with the location or the layout. Their menu was just too limited and pricey: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 201609.pdf

~$11+ for a hot dog or brat and chips (+$2 for fries). Yes, they're good! But at the end of the day, the menu was still fairly limited, and getting a group of 4+ to head to Prairie Dogs for a couple drinks and some food was a tough sell. Compare their prices to New Bohemia a couple blocks down Lake: http://www.newbohemiausa.com/wurst/ They not only have better prices ($12-13 gets you a brat, fries, AND a beer), but they also have a kid's menu and burgers. If you're looking for (admittedly less fancy) Chicago-style dogs and Italian Beef, here are the prices at Chris & Rob's (née Joey D's): http://www.chrisandrobs.com/menu.php (and yes, I know it's way across town, but those are the prices I expect for a 'dog).
I enjoyed Prairie Dogs, but I never ate at the restaurant. I always ordered them for delivery to LynLake Brewery. You are correct that getting a group to go there would be difficult. New Bohemia is fine, but also a chain and entirely forgettable.

I hope something else takes over the spot and gets it to work. Lyn/Lake neighborhood does fall off quickly to the east, but there was a proposal for development on the next block over. That would help.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 21st, 2016, 10:27 pm

New Bohemia is a chain in that it has multiple locations, but it's a local company that started with a single Minneapolis location what, three years ago?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 22nd, 2016, 10:26 am

^Yeah, they're just four years old: http://www.newbohemiausa.com/our-story/

They have multiple locations, though I don't really see them as a "chain."

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 23rd, 2016, 1:20 pm

Keeping the tradition of business names you have to Google to make sure you formatted them properly alive, Orangetheory Fitness is going into the old FirstTech space.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » December 23rd, 2016, 5:53 pm

I love New Bohemia but haven't been to the Lyn Lake location. Great food and great beer selection.