[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby seanrichardryan » September 18th, 2015, 10:49 am

So, how about those retail & restaurants?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2015, 6:19 pm

Well it is lucky that Cowboy whatever will have a fire pit on their patio, as it is getting much cooler for an evening meal up there now. I saw some thick butcher block like tables finally on the main floor. Looked like they were getting the huge flat screens programmed as they were flipping thru channels when I walked by. I'll hope they are open in a week or two, but with this project I'd pass out waiting for it to open if I held my breathe. Nice that most of their windows will roll up on nice day though.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 25th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Scena Tavern's sign is now up on the corner of Lake and Girard at the Walkway. They still have done minimal to the inside so I think they will have to work fast if they are to get any Christmas parties this year. Will be lucky if they get open by the first of the year, unless they have the kitchen finished and all they have to the dining rooms to finish. IF the Cowboy is any indication on how fast it takes to get a dining room, tImes two, finished, it will be next patio season before they get this place open.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 29th, 2015, 10:38 am

Republic at Calhoun Square is closing.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 29th, 2015, 10:50 am

what was that retail axiom again? Stores follow doors? yeah about that...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 29th, 2015, 11:08 am

Per the article I read about Republic closing, it sounded like the Calhoun Square owners thought a different operator could bring in more money for them, not that Republic wasn't making money at that location. In any case, it was pretty clear that Republic was not voluntarily closing this location.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 29th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Republic at Calhoun Square was always packed when I went there, but it never seemed like a natural fit anyway.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 29th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Agreed. Always packed.

Whatever goes in there, they have got to do something about the noise level. Republic is a pretty chill bar (i.e. not overly loud music or TV or commotion) but the ambient noise just from people talking was unbearable. You had to shout across the table even when the place was below capacity.

Hopefully Republic quickly finds another location nearby, assuming they're still interested in Uptown.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 29th, 2015, 1:50 pm

On a different note -- Parella is a legitimately good restaurant. If it doesn't make it it wont be because of the food/service.
Towns!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 29th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Isn't there a full restaurant space still available in the Walkway? And what about the Bar Abilene space?

Republic's second-floor location, accessible only from inside the mall, was never a great spot. Some outdoor space would have made a big difference too.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2015, 11:18 pm

Isn't there a full restaurant space still available in the Walkway? And what about the Bar Abilene space?

Republic's second-floor location, accessible only from inside the mall, was never a great spot. Some outdoor space would have made a big difference too.
Scena Tavern will be in the Walkway's other restaurant spot. Their sign is up on the corner of the building at Lake and Girard. Will be lucky if they open before the first of next year.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 30th, 2015, 8:21 am

The Republic space has always had a door to Hennepin with signage...just goes into a stairwell, so technically it's accessible from the street. I am wondering if they are trying to put a two story space together for that newly created corner space? Though the footprint of that isn't big on level one, and I am guessing it would make most sense to keep this a restaurant if it is staying retail space.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » October 1st, 2015, 7:11 am

They were bringing in the furniture into The Fremont this morning when I drove into work. At the time I passed, they were bringing in light gray lounge seating. Anyone know when the open date is for The Fremont or Cowboy Slims/ Jacks for that matter?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 7:49 am

They were bringing in the furniture into The Fremont this morning when I drove into work. At the time I passed, they were bringing in light gray lounge seating. Anyone know when the open date is for The Fremont or Cowboy Slims/ Jacks for that matter?
The Cowboy will open when there is a foot of snow on their outdoor patio!! If they can't get this place open soon, I predict that they will be shuttering due to bad cash flow/management. Then another leaser will have to take over and spend 6 months to redecorate the place yet again. They may do very well in the summer months, but they have to cover the mortgage for 6 months until it even get close to real patio weather again. I don't know who has been paying the mortgage so far, (over one year since the start date). Hope the Cowboy has some VERY VERY deep pockets!!

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » October 1st, 2015, 8:22 am

The Cowboy will open when there is a foot of snow on their outdoor patio!! If they can't get this place open soon, I predict that they will be shuttering due to bad cash flow/management. Then another leaser will have to take over and spend 6 months to redecorate the place yet again. They may do very well in the summer months, but they have to cover the mortgage for 6 months until it even get close to real patio weather again. I don't know who has been paying the mortgage so far, (over one year since the start date). Hope the Cowboy has some VERY VERY deep pockets!!
Yeah, I haven't walked by in a couple weeks. Anyone know how the interior is doing? I remember going by this summer and seeing tons of activity, both inside and out. But that was in like July. It seems to have petered out.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 11:02 am

Early last week when I walked by they looked very close to being finished on the ground floor. I think the roof top has been ready for awhile now. They had pretty much most of the furniture in place and the were programming their flat screens. It should be open by now. So there must be some city approval issues that are still not resolved for this not to be open. Maybe there are kitchen issues that are not up to code, you could guess anything and it might be true.

MobJob
Block E

Postby MobJob » October 2nd, 2015, 8:34 am

As I understand things, normally the owner would have a construction loan that wouldn't be due until after the project is complete. At that time, the owner would get a permanent mortgage with a longer term, which would be used to pay off the construction loan. If the work is not yet finished, then there is a good chance the owner isn't making payments to the lender yet. Hopefully the owner won't have to make mortgage payments (on the permanent loan) until the business is up and running. Of course, that doesn't really change your concern about opening in the winter. Are there any bankers that can confirm this?

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » October 2nd, 2015, 11:39 am

Even though it's a summery bar with a rooftop as a main attraction, I can't imagine it would be cheaper to keep a finished bar closed through the winter than holding it off opening for 7-8 months.

On a related note, even more stuff being brought in The Fremont this morning, two more truck loads. It must be very close to opening. A quick Google search resulted in finding a job posting on Craigslist with starting dates of September 28. Assuming a 2 week training period, I think it might very well open next weekend.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2015, 2:06 pm

Even though it's a summery bar with a rooftop as a main attraction, I can't imagine it would be cheaper to keep a finished bar closed through the winter than holding it off opening for 7-8 months.

On a related note, even more stuff being brought in The Fremont this morning, two more truck loads. It must be very close to opening. A quick Google search resulted in finding a job posting on Craigslist with starting dates of September 28. Assuming a 2 week training period, I think it might very well open next weekend.
If the Fremont beat the Cowboy open, then the Cowboy is in some real trouble!!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 5th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Not sure what is up with the 6 foot recess of the Potbelly's front door. I just see it as an area that will collect garbage and leaves. My guesses are terrible as to when something will open up, just look at the Cowboy, But if they open before Thanksgiving I'll be amazed. Lot's of work to get done.