[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
minesapint
Block E

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby minesapint » November 19th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Take this with a grain of salt, but a friend of a friend of is doing the artwork for Volstead's Emporium, it is still in progress as far as I know and I heard September is what they are aiming for.
I went to check it out tonight and there are lights and door that seems like a speakeasy door...has anyone heard if this place is open yet?

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » November 23rd, 2015, 6:47 pm

Does anyone know any more on the speakeasy jazz club that was going to go in at Lyndale/Lake? I dont think it ever opened and now I cant find the facebook page?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 23rd, 2015, 8:46 pm

Have you tried knocking on the back door?

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » November 24th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Have you tried knocking on the back door?
Thanks.... :)

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 26th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Jonathan Adler is closing at the end of January.

Sidebar: If anyone has any job leads in the interior design industry, my wife will be looking for work starting February 1st. ;)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2015, 8:14 am

Sidebar: If anyone has any job leads in the interior design industry, my wife will be looking for work starting February 1st. ;)
Problem when you have a rental residential base around you and really needed condo's where people are more will to pay the money for services and really nice things.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 27th, 2015, 11:31 am

Problem when you have a rental residential base around you and really needed condo's where people are more will to pay the money for services and really nice things.
Aren't there plenty of condos around that area, plus plenty of SFHs with affluent owners? Maybe lack of business is due to other factors.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2015, 11:44 am

Designers decor need to be around their target market. While Uptown has much fewer condos compared to apartments, most of the SFH have already been updated and redecorated in the last 5 years. People will put more money into furnishing that they know they will be keeping for several years. With apartments you don't really want furnishings that can get damaged with the constant moves every few years or so. Plus Adler's price point is a bit steep for most MPLS budgets.

Plus with Gabbert's, Room and Board, and other decor places were already in a tight competitive market before Adler came to town.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 27th, 2015, 4:40 pm

While Uptown has much fewer condos compared to apartments, most of the SFH have already been updated and redecorated in the last 5 years.
Eh? Not where I live. There are unlimited possibilities for fixups and redecorating.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Lilsmoochie
Block E

Postby Lilsmoochie » November 27th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Does anyone know any more on the speakeasy jazz club that was going to go in at Lyndale/Lake? I dont think it ever opened and now I cant find the facebook page?
I heard its opening on Saturday 12/05 and I plan on going!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 27th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I just think Jonathan Adler is a little bit too out there. I saw a chair that looks like a children's chair it was so small, for $1200. It's for a niche group that's not in Uptown.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 27th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Jon Adler will do great in Edina.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 27th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Agreed

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2015, 10:29 pm

While Uptown has much fewer condos compared to apartments, most of the SFH have already been updated and redecorated in the last 5 years.
Eh? Not where I live. There are unlimited possibilities for fixups and redecorating.

The people that can afford Adler are those very close to the lakes with million+ dollar homes. Don't think too many people fixing up houses in the wedge would have the budget for the reno and then spend the price point that Adler charges. Adler should have been at 50th and France or around the Galleria area where there are more people who are willing to spend that kind of money for Adlers styles and price point.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » November 28th, 2015, 9:24 am

The stuff there looks a lot like the items at Room and Board, but with a higher markup. Maybe that's the problem. A lot of people (even the affluent) might pay up to $2K for a couch, but not $3K or $4K.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 30th, 2015, 10:22 am

The people that can afford Adler are those very close to the lakes with million+ dollar homes.
I wasn't speaking to Adler, but specifically to your assertion that there are no homes left to fix up.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 30th, 2015, 3:13 pm

I was talking about the lack of clientele for Adler that lead to his demise here in Uptown. We are in the retail section I hope. The now limited scope of people in the Uptown area that would pay his price point.

Lilsmoochie
Block E

Postby Lilsmoochie » November 30th, 2015, 5:35 pm

A little more info on the jazz club - the entrance is off the alley, back of 711 West Lake. The door has a little peek-a-boo hole in it. Grand opening is Saturday, but apparently they will be open Friday night too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 30th, 2015, 8:58 pm

A few observational LynLake updates:
The Country Bar space (is there a new name yet?) looks to be reasonably close to opening.

No work has taken place in the old Falafel King space in forever. It appears this new ownership group are true amateurs. After painting the building babyshit green and demoing some of the restaurant interior 5+ months ago, they haven't touched it. On one hand, I'm all for individual entrepreneurship, but OTOH I wish Master Properties or Ackerberg had picked it up. It's an old building in rough shape and needs the expertise of someone who's done this kind of rehab before, not a two-bit operation lacking both capital and experience.

"Detour", the pub that was going in the Serendipity Road space (next to former Milio's, also still vacant), does not appear to be happening. "For lease" signs are in the windows. The tobacco store is still holding it down of course.

I was going to write a streets.mn post a year ago "Seasons of Change in LynLake" - talking about the loss of Tatters, Cause, Falafel King, and Country Bar. I thought the string of vacancies would pass and good things were to come. Hard to believe that since then, things have only gotten worse, adding Milio's and seemingly Caffrey's as well. I'll hold out hope on Caffrey's until we hear that it's officially dead.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 30th, 2015, 9:30 pm

A few observational updates:
The Country Bar space (is there a new name yet?) looks to be reasonably close to opening.

No work has taken place in the old Falafel King space in forever. It appears this new ownership group are true amateurs. After painting the building babyshit green and demoing some of the restaurant interior 5+ months ago, they haven't touched it. On one hand, I'm all for individual entrepreneurship, but OTOH I wish Master Properties or Ackerberg had picked it up. It's an old building in rough shape and needs the expertise of someone who's done this kind of rehab before, not a two-bit operation lacking both capital and experience.

"Detour", the pub that was going in the Serendipity Road space (next to former Milio's, also still vacant), does not appear to be happening. "For lease" signs are in the windows. The tobacco store is still holding it down of course.

I was going to write a streets.mn post a year ago "Seasons of Change in LynLake" - talking about the loss of Tatters, Cause, Falafel King, and Country Bar. I thought the string of vacancies would pass and good things were to come. Hard to believe that since then, things have only gotten worse, adding Milio's and seemingly Caffrey's as well. I'll hold out hope on Caffrey's until we hear that it's officially dead.
Uptown is a weird area, and especially LynLake. You'd think it would be a very easy place to be successful. Tons of traffic, vibrant, late night area...but some businesses come on go quickly, others struggle, some spaces sit open for a long time. Maybe it's just me, I've outgrown that area.