[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby Nathan » August 4th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Because we have too many interesting neighborhoods and pockets in the two core cities to rest on only allowing uptown to have the cool new establishments? (I know little about Columbus, so I don't know maybe it doesn't make sense to make a cool bar outside of that part of town because it's outside your target market) Meanwhile 'hipsters' flourish in almost every compass direction in mpls so why would a new potential hang spot push to spend more money to open in uptown? Also, I think Republic has opened since then and is hipster worthy, and is not agra culture? Truce? Just thoughts...

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 5th, 2014, 7:30 am

A new Short North bar opened up just under a month after I visited (and I'm hitting it up ASAP next time I'm back in town) and a brief glimpse reveals something that you sadly never see opening in Uptown: been here over 2 1/2 years and nothing there has opened that compelled me hang out there.
You want a place with cheap beers and kitsch tacked up all over the walls? I know a couple of places. :lol:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 5th, 2014, 7:39 am

A new Short North bar opened up just under a month after I visited (and I'm hitting it up ASAP next time I'm back in town) and a brief glimpse reveals something that you sadly never see opening in Uptown: been here over 2 1/2 years and nothing there has opened that compelled me hang out there.
You want a place with cheap beers and kitsch tacked up all over the walls? I know a couple of places. :lol:
Nice. The only places I've seen really successfully do the eclectic wall hangings (and not feel like tgif) are the Kitty Kat Club, and the Unicorn in Seattle, granted I haven't been EVERYWHERE... but I feel like it's getting harder and harder to achieve in a unique sense

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 7:57 am

It's not Uptown, but since we're talking wall hangings the ones at Hot Plate (52nd and Bloomington, excellent breakfasts) freak me out. For top-notch non-kitsch non-campy, I'd say The Dubliner fits the bill.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » August 5th, 2014, 8:44 am

Because we have too many interesting neighborhoods and pockets in the two core cities to rest on only allowing uptown to have the cool new establishments? (I know little about Columbus, so I don't know maybe it doesn't make sense to make a cool bar outside of that part of town because it's outside your target market) Meanwhile 'hipsters' flourish in almost every compass direction in mpls so why would a new potential hang spot push to spend more money to open in uptown? Also, I think Republic has opened since then and is hipster worthy, and is not agra culture? Truce? Just thoughts...
CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: I'd genuinely prefer another bro bar to another Republic. Say what you will about bros, but at least they know what they're about. Republic has mistaken torpid mediocrity for good taste, and consequently has taken care to develop no distinguishing features whatsoever. Well, except maybe the suffocating smugness: it seems to make its business off the idea that sitting in a dark, dull room, putting a locally-sourced egg on your burger, and yawning off by 10:30 makes you better than the bros and bimbos having actual fun in the trashy bars around the corner.

The Seven Corners location does have an amazing patio, though.

EDIT: not actually advocating for bro bars, to be clear. liquor lyle's forever

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 5th, 2014, 8:51 am

WHS, I think I agree. Republic Uptown is not a 'fun' place at all. Happy Gnome, Muddy Pig, Devil's Advocate, etc. are far more enjoyable places to be if you are looking for extensive beer list.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 5th, 2014, 8:58 am

What's up with Thai/Chinese restaurants and pathetically tiny tap beer selections? Tum Rup has two beers on tap. Kinhdo has none.

Also, I'm pretty sure Roat Osha and Tum Rup are the same company. Might even have nearly the same menu.

Chiang Mai and Amazing Thailand do a little better, but their food is slightly worse than the aforementioned pair.
I'm not sure how Kinhdo stays in business. As soon as their rent goes up, they're gone.

Agreed on Republic Uptown. Loud as hell. Cold, bland decor. Lacking the awesome patio of West Bank which really ties the room together.

Hennepin & Lagoon is going to have a staggering collection of bars I don't go to unless my cousins from Coon Rapids are in town. I think most of us are mature enough to not call people we don't know "douchebags" and the like. Most people are not jerks, they just have bad taste.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 5th, 2014, 9:07 am

Probably because SE asians don't actually really drink that much and you wanting to pair a hundred beers with that kind of food is really weird?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 5th, 2014, 9:22 am

Less than four tap beer (incl. cider) selections is just weird anywhere.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 5th, 2014, 9:30 am

Less than four tap beer (incl. cider) selections is just weird anywhere.
You Basic ;)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 5th, 2014, 10:14 am

If you don't move a lot of beer, taps are a pain in the ass and usually result in foul lines.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 10:25 am

Makes sense, and it also makes sense that if you don't move a lot of beer if you don't have decent options for people. In that case, places should just stick to bottles.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » August 5th, 2014, 10:58 am

Nice. The only places I've seen really successfully do the eclectic wall hangings (and not feel like tgif) are the Kitty Kat Club, and the Unicorn in Seattle, granted I haven't been EVERYWHERE... but I feel like it's getting harder and harder to achieve in a unique sense
Don't forget about the Anchor in Superior, WI...

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » August 5th, 2014, 2:52 pm

WHS, I think I agree. Republic Uptown is not a 'fun' place at all. Happy Gnome, Muddy Pig, Devil's Advocate, etc. are far more enjoyable places to be if you are looking for extensive beer list.
A true story about Republic: when the Seven Corners location opened, some clever kid at the law school noticed they were serving Hamm's and held a "The Law School Drinks Republic Out of Hamm's" event, with a prize to whoever finally exhausted their stock. Dozens of people showed up, the bar was packed with people who were having a good time and spending a lot of money... but the bartenders and management were surly, by all appearances absolutely furious, and refused to play along in good spirits. Because, apparently, to Republic, earning the goodwill of dozens of virtually-assured repeat customers who practically live next door is secondary to even briefly dropping the haughty beer-bar facade. Watching this all go down pretty much summed that place up for me.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 5th, 2014, 3:09 pm

A true story about Republic: when the Seven Corners location opened, some clever kid at the law school noticed they were serving Hamm's and held a "The Law School Drinks Republic Out of Hamm's" event, with a prize to whoever finally exhausted their stock. Dozens of people showed up, the bar was packed with people who were having a good time and spending a lot of money... but the bartenders and management were surly, by all appearances absolutely furious, and refused to play along in good spirits. Because, apparently, to Republic, earning the goodwill of dozens of virtually-assured repeat customers who practically live next door is secondary to even briefly dropping the haughty beer-bar facade. Watching this all go down pretty much summed that place up for me.
What you just described sounds like my absolute nightmare walking into a bar and experiencing... regulars or not.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » August 5th, 2014, 4:30 pm

This is hilarious!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 5th, 2014, 4:40 pm

WEIRD, I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE UPTOWN REPUBLIC WAS REALLY LOUD. LIKE, INEXPLICABLY LOUD--LIKE, SOMEHOW, WITH ONLY TWENTY PEOPLE IN THE PLACE, YOU HAD TO YELL KIND OF. BAD ACOUSTICS?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 5th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Punny!

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 5th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Hennepin & Lagoon is going to have a staggering collection of bars I don't go to unless my cousins from Coon Rapids are in town. I think most of us are mature enough to not call people we don't know "douchebags" and the like. Most people are not jerks, they just have bad taste.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a misogynistic homophobic duck...
CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: I'd genuinely prefer another bro bar to another Republic. Say what you will about bros, but at least they know what they're about. Republic has mistaken torpid mediocrity for good taste, and consequently has taken care to develop no distinguishing features whatsoever.
This isn't an either/or proposition you know. You don't have to have a generic mediocre bar for every bro bar. Haven't been to the Uptown location, but then I only thought the Seven Corners one was alright.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 5th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Looks like I'm the odd one out (I also have a pretty high tolerance for bros and enjoy rooftops, so I've been to some of the god forsaken bars mentioned in the thread because I suppose I'm #basic). While I really enjoy the Republic's West Bank location better, I'm rather okay with the Uptown location. I have never had to yell except when it's quite packed. And it's nice to be able to get a few local beers that never seem to pop up on tap elsewhere.

My real complaint is that bar itself is so damn hot. No matter what time of year, it always feels like an oven.