Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby Didier » October 27th, 2015, 9:30 pm

They're definitely all over Lakewood.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 28th, 2015, 5:22 am

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9483553 ... 312!8i6656

Another streetcar commercial building bites the dust.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 28th, 2015, 8:40 am

I've been missing my CARAG meetings, but just saw this in the e-newsletter (and I didn't remember seeing it anywhere..)

Local hotel developers, Ben and Jim Graves, attended the CARAG Neighborhood Meeting last week to let neighbors know they were considering building a hotel in CARAG. Graves Hospitality formerly owned the Graves 601 Hotel in downtown Minneapolis, and the company is looking at a site on the corner of Lake St. and Emerson Ave S, previously occupied by an Indian Restaurant. The Graves do not yet own the site and plans are preliminary. However, they are considering around 120 rooms in what they described as a "boutique" hotel. No designs were shown, but the Graves expect a height variance would be needed for the hotel to get built. The Graves committed to keeping CARAG up to date on their plans.
I wonder if things with the Ackerburg group have soured? I really thought their hotel was going to go up in the north lot adjacent to Calhoun Square? Seems very odd to build a hotel on this corner...

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 28th, 2015, 8:42 am

They'd need the lot to the south at 3005 Emerson Ave S as well, wouldn't they? It's currently just a parking lot.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2015, 10:04 am

I don't think it would be odd at all for a hotel to go here and at the Calhoun square lot, especially if they serve two markets. I could see the Calhoun square hotel being a more commercial hotel, Marriott, holiday Inn, Hyatt etc... while Graves specializes in more boutique alternative types. The area could easily support both. I hate having to tell visitors that they have to either get a room downtown or stay in slp/Bloomington.

*can you imagine this area during the loppet with two hotels and all the new retail and restaurants. Craziness. A different atmosphere begins to take place when visitors can spend the night in the area they're staying.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 28th, 2015, 11:50 am

I'll admit, the idea of 2 hotels kinda kills my dreams of using an ADU as a vrbo/short-term rental. But I agree this doesn't seem to compete with Ackerberg doing a much larger, mixed-use thing on the Calhoun Square lot.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 28th, 2015, 12:52 pm

I think that Ackerberg is saving the Calhoun lot more for office vs hotel. Not that the Calhoun could not handle a mixed project. But I think that they want to get Mozaic 2 build first. Also I think that retail on the ground floor of office would be easier than on the ground floor of a hotel. I think that office would give them a higher ROI than a hotel for that particular parcel. Just my opinion.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2015, 1:22 pm

I think that Ackerberg is saving the Calhoun lot more for office vs hotel. Not that the Calhoun could not handle a mixed project. But I think that they want to get Mozaic 2 build first. Also I think that retail on the ground floor of office would be easier than on the ground floor of a hotel. I think that office would give them a higher ROI than a hotel for that particular parcel. Just my opinion.
Their last statements have all said Hotel, and we got a sneak peak at the possibility of medical office and retail on the lower floors. I can't see them doing anything else, they want a well rounded community to create synergy and success for themselves, and the community.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 29th, 2015, 8:41 am

Thanks for the insights, this makes me feel more optimistic.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 29th, 2015, 9:35 am

Their last statements have all said Hotel, and we got a sneak peak at the possibility of medical office and retail on the lower floors. I can't see them doing anything else, they want a well rounded community to create synergy and success for themselves, and the community.
As we know developers tend to change their mind mid stream. Nothing is for sure until the permits are pulled. My take on it is that this piece of land, where the Indian restaurant is located, probably just came onto the market. Up until now the Calhoun site was their best site for the possible hotel. I'm sure that the Emerson land is less expensive than the the Calhoun site. Where they are proposing is only a block away from the other site. So location is really a wash as far as I'm concerned. This will probably have a lower land value to allow for a greater potential for profitability and ROI. This also leave the Calhoun site open for office or mixed use, where they can cover the land value with higher rents and better ROI. Just my observation.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 29th, 2015, 10:06 am

These are separate developers though. Graves vs Ackerberg.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 29th, 2015, 10:57 am

Southwest Journal article on the Graves Hotel:

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... ke-emerson

Includes the lot with surface parking on the south side. Looks like 150 rooms instead of 120. Restaurant and bar on the ground floor. Also:
“It will feel like more of a warehouse-type building than a super modern building”
If approved, breaking ground in the spring.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 29th, 2015, 11:01 am

There have been at least two Indian restaurants in that building since I moved to the area and they've both struggled. Those lots have been an eyesore for a long time. I'm not sad to see that building go for a boutique hotel. I think it will do very well!

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 29th, 2015, 11:14 am

There have been at least two Indian restaurants in that building since I moved to the area and they've both struggled.
Marla's relocated to 38th & Bloomington:

http://www.marlascuisine.com

It's much much more Caribbean than Indian now. Still very very good food! There's frequently a wait for a table so business seems to be doing very well.

Also, if you like hot food, go here. Their scale is:

Mild
Medium
Hot
Indian Hot
Marla's Hot

I once ordered with "Indian Hot". Big mistake, it was too hot to enjoy and I like spicy food! I can't imagine "Marla's Hot". The regular old "Hot" makes me sweat and my eyes water just about the right amount.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 29th, 2015, 11:19 am

These are separate developers though. Graves vs Ackerberg.
Then Graves beat Ackerberg to the punch. Ackerberg is busy with getting Mozaic 2 off the boards and up in the air. They have already sent a considerable amount of money on the Mozaic project. Highly doubt they would switch priorities and try and build a hotel on the Calhoun site just to beat Graves to be first. The Graves project is much smaller than the block long Calhoun project, so either way they would still be first to completion if they do actually start in the spring. There is a benefit to having the Graves boutique getting built first. It will prove whether Uptown has a market for hotel rooms. If they are a success, then Ackerberg would surely plan a second hotel as part of a mixed use on the Calhoun lot. If they can keep up an appetite for office space in the Uptown area, they can get a business oriented or limited service hotel as part of that project.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 29th, 2015, 11:21 am

Marla's relocated to 38th & Bloomington
Oh, awesome! Thanks for the head's up!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 29th, 2015, 11:47 am

Love hot food, love Marla's, can't handle the jerk chicken.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 29th, 2015, 12:37 pm

My final off-topic comment on Marla's. Here's the episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives that they were recently featured in:

http://www.marlascuisine.com/#!news/c66t

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2015, 12:40 pm

[Trigger warning -- above post contains incidences of Guy Fieri.]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 29th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Now I know what I'm getting MNdible for Christmas.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3218854123 ... ps&lpid=82
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.