St. Paul Restaurant News

The Most Livable City in America™
Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Re: St. Paul Restaurant News

Postby Minnehahaha » September 19th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Good God... Ground Round still exists? Now that they are opening a third location, Taqueria Los Ocampo outlets will outnumber the Ground Round in the greater Twin Cities region... which is a good thing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 20th, 2015, 7:36 am

Good God... Ground Round still exists? Now that they are opening a third location, Taqueria Los Ocampo outlets will outnumber the Ground Round in the greater Twin Cities region... which is a good thing.
Wednesday when I went by the Dale corner on the green line, I thought it stranger that there were no tables and chairs for outdoor seating out this time of year. The windows also looked covered, but that could be because of pulled window shades. But now as Paul Harvey would say," Now you know the rest of the story".

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » October 2nd, 2015, 2:57 pm

Anyone know if/when the Dark Horse (Muddy Waters) Saint Paul opens? Thanks.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » October 2nd, 2015, 7:12 pm

The inside is coming along very nicely. They recently paved the alley/patio area as well. No word on an opening date yet though as far as I've heard.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2015, 8:42 pm

Was there indoor parking on the ground floor of that building where Dark Horse is going, or am I thinking of another building along E 7th?

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » October 3rd, 2015, 2:53 am

The building with the ground floor parking is one block west on W. 7th Street. Dark Horse is going into the old Twin Cities Magic & Costume location (actually just one of the buildings that housed TCMC).

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 3rd, 2015, 6:46 am

If they can make their alley and restaurant as nice as the one on Lyndale it will be a very successful place.

When the Lyndale establishment moved to their new location I just thought they would do OK. Their old location was never really busy but I thought that they would have some previous customer follow them. But I was amazed by the strong wave of customers that came to their new location. Many times during the week you have to wait for a table, especially in the alley there. Their food has been good when I've been there. Atmosphere is good and they have a great menu. If they can transfer all that is good from their present location, then they will be a success even thought they are on E 7th away from the park.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » October 4th, 2015, 12:57 pm

"Mexitalian" Pizza restaurant coming soon to location of Otra Cocina at 1193 Payne Ave. I could find out much more about it than that. A quick google search finds this: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/genera ... aly-mexico
The poster looked like a chain from the outside but I can't find any evidence that it is. Otra Cocina probably failed because it was a catering place with a store front and a Mexican place open for breakfast and lunch in an area without a lot of jobs. That owner told me they would reopen somewhere in MPLS.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » October 4th, 2015, 1:01 pm

My wife noticed a rudimentary facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Mexitalian-Piz ... b=overview

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 5th, 2015, 3:04 pm

The very last paragraph of the september 9 City Pages article about Lowertown mentions a new restaurant opening up (not World of Beer) by a local chef which will face Mears park. I have to guess that it would be the old "Bin" spot on the corner? Any intel on this?

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/st ... es-7645437

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 6th, 2015, 8:07 am

The very last paragraph of the september 9 City Pages article about Lowertown mentions a new restaurant opening up (not World of Beer) by a local chef which will face Mears park. I have to guess that it would be the old "Bin" spot on the corner? Any intel on this?
"Bin" (or was it "Bin Wine Bar"?) was at the corner of 6th & Sibley. World of Beer is going in at 5th & Sibley. It's going into a space that in my 16 years here in the Twin Cities I don't ever remember being occupied.

It's a shame about the Bin Wine Bar. It had great atmosphere, really good food, and a fun staff.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 6th, 2015, 2:54 pm

I believe that *Bin* fled for the hills. The hills of Linden. That's what the sign on the door said when they closed. Too bad, since that would've filled out that restaurant row on 6th.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » October 6th, 2015, 4:50 pm

It's going into a space that in my 16 years here in the Twin Cities I don't ever remember being occupied.
Now I'm definitely intrigued. The only spot on Mears Park that I can think of that fits that criteria is the Straus Lofts spot being taken by World of Beer.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 6th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Here. https://goo.gl/maps/yLnLW65Jmux
I don't remember anything ever being here either.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 7th, 2015, 2:13 am

Perhaps the mystery space will be in the new building (formerly the Social Security office) which is being converted to Market Rate rentals this fall by Timberland. I can't recall if it's a 5th street address or a Sibley address.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » October 7th, 2015, 9:09 am

I'm really curious now. Is there any way to find out what was last here, and when?

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » October 7th, 2015, 4:52 pm

That's the Straus Lofts building, isn't it? I'm pretty sure that's where World of Beer is going, or at least in a portion of the ground floor space.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » October 10th, 2015, 7:07 am

Stopped by the Dark Horse Bar and Eatery yesterday. Nice place with a good selection of beers. The bar tender told me that they are opening a distillery (whiskey?) in the adjoining building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 10th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 10th, 2015, 3:55 pm

THe Commodore is quite the building just in it's self. Was in there about 25 years ago and the Deco is so graceful. Hope they update the whole building. Was a Hotel once upon a time.