Snelling and University TOD: "SmartSite Redevelopment"

The Most Livable City in America™
Snelbian
Rice Park

Re: Snelling and University

Postby Snelbian » February 19th, 2014, 7:56 am

This area still has a long way to go. I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt and frequented the LA Fitness on University often. Then I had my locker broken into and my credit cards stolen. They racked up $1500 in two hours. When I reported it to the police and LA Fitness they both said I need to be more vigilant at that location.
You were unlucky. I've lived near Midway and done most of my shopping there for seven years now and never had a single problem.
You have a new Whole Paycheck coming to Selby and Snelling to take care of that demographic. Plus Kowalski's is closer to where that demographic lives.
Depends on what you mean by new. There's been a common misconception in some circle that Whole Foods will be adding to the number of grocers nearby. They're just moving from Grand and Fairview. It's basically a different spot in the same neighborhood. And there are plenty of people in the Iris Park area who are much closer to Rainbow than Kowalski's.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 19th, 2014, 8:45 am

Speaking of, I'm excited for redevelopment of Grand/Fairview... although will their absurd height restrictions impact any future redevelopment facing Grand?

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » February 25th, 2014, 11:55 am

if they model this area after the West End, the one thing I'd want them to change is making sure that every building has more than one use. We should not have single story buildings with retail. We need retail on the streets with 4-6 floors of residential or office space on top.

What I'd like to see is a transplant the heart of uptown and develop a residential, working, shopping, entertainment and cultural destination neighborhood.

is that too much to ask? :)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 25th, 2014, 12:37 pm

What you say is correct. What I was stressing was more the street grid with welcoming pedestrian sidewalks, with store fronts that had doors to the streets. That the parking be underground or wrapped by retail or other uses. I very much agree that residential should be above the retail or office space closer to University.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » February 25th, 2014, 1:52 pm

The superblock planning will be discussed at the UPDC Land Use Committee tonight (6:30, Merriam Park Rec Center). Unfortunately I don't think I'll make it. Hopefully someone else does and can report back.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » April 4th, 2014, 9:45 am

Any updates in the last month?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » April 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

No superblock updates I'm aware of, but I saw this morning that a license has been requested for work at the empty bank building on the SE corner. Walgreens is apparently going forward with a remodel, which I found strange given that as far as I know that parcel is part of the redevelopment plan. And CVS on the opposite corner is FINALLY putting in the University-side entrance that should have been there to begin with.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 4th, 2014, 6:41 pm

No superblock updates I'm aware of, but I saw this morning that a license has been requested for work at the empty bank building on the SE corner. Walgreens is apparently going forward with a remodel, which I found strange given that as far as I know that parcel is part of the redevelopment plan. And CVS on the opposite corner is FINALLY putting in the University-side entrance that should have been there to begin with.
Remodel as in keeping the existing structure?!?!?! That would be good :) I know it doesn't face the corner and all that but it's a cool building.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » April 4th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Remodel as in keeping the existing structure?!?!?! That would be good :) I know it doesn't face the corner and all that but it's a cool building.
The permit type is described as "Addition" which has me incredibly curious as to what they have in mind!

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » April 29th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Site Plan from this weeks Villager

First floor of the old bank building will be the Walgreens.
second floor will be office space...the article does not specify if it will be tenant space, or Walgreens offices.
Front and Rear entries of the American Bank building will stay the same.
Four of the six existing drive through lanes will go away.
The new retail building will be about 3000 sf on one level. The article implies it will be standalone retail unrelated to the Walgreens.
The property owner says this is a placeholder development, that will not necessarily conflict with longer-term redevelopment plans on the site.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » April 29th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Here's the article

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 29th, 2014, 8:19 pm

I'm liking everything I'm reading in that article! Can't wait to see this area start to urbanize.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » April 29th, 2014, 8:34 pm

While something intended as a "placeholder" development can easily become a long-term fixture, it is encouraging to finally see a representative of RK Midway speaking as if they want to be something more than just a strip mall owner. That they are now an active party in redevelopment plans for this area signals that they have recognized the potential value in a higher quality use for their real estate in the Midway.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » April 29th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Also, many thanks for sharing this article, nate! It saves me the trip to Big Top (probably the furthest north Villager outlet) or waiting for the Bill Lindeke summation.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » April 30th, 2014, 6:24 am

No problem! I was just excited to have a scoop, for once.

I'm actually moving to Midway next month. I'm going to miss easy access to the Villager.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » April 30th, 2014, 9:20 am

The materials the Land Use Committee received suggest the new retail building might house a cafe, but I don't think they have any actual tenant in mind yet.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2014, 9:54 am

No problem! I was just excited to have a scoop, for once.

I'm actually moving to Midway next month. I'm going to miss easy access to the Villager.
Cross 94 and head to the Associated Bank lobby. They have them there. Then you can walk across the street to Cahoots Coffee House and have coffee and relax and read it. This is where the planned Vintage is being worked up, Selby and Snelling.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 23rd, 2014, 8:43 pm

Do we have a separate bus barn thread?

This was just posted to the St. Paul e-democracy list. Did we know about it?

http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/st ... odplan.jpg

That's a hell of a lot of parking and Hamlin Ave. gets screwed.

Count me disappointed.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 23rd, 2014, 8:58 pm

That's Pascal Ave on the east side, not Hamline.

Here's the report, seems like it was published a month ago. Surprised we missed that. Here's a link to said report:
http://stpaul.gov/DocumentCenter/View/73774

That site plan has an obscenely low resolution, arrrrgh.
Last edited by Tcmetro on July 23rd, 2014, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 23rd, 2014, 8:59 pm

That's Pascal Ave on the east side, not Hamline.

Here's the report, seems like it was published a month ago. Surprised we missed that. Here's a link to said report:
http://stpaul.gov/DocumentCenter/View/73774
Oops, yeah, Pascal, which is even worse because it's a calmer street.