Postby LRV Op Dude » May 13th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Re: The Great River Passage Plan

Postby aguaman » May 14th, 2013, 6:33 am

we are fortunate to have this amenity in the city. nice long range vision. but i hope it's kept undeveloped and wild. too bad the new xcel power plant was allowed to be built on the river.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 30th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Time for a thread resurrection!

I've recently become increasingly interested in the prospect of public land and rehabilitation of wildlife spaces in our cities (and beyond). My buddy and I have been exploring a lot of the parks and public land that sits along the river. One section I've yet to make my way into is the Pig's Eye Park. Access seems kind of obscure and I really don't know how great the air around there is to breathe.

Anyways! One of the many buildings that I was hoping would one day become park land is actually potentially on the verge of reality. Gerdau Steel may be closing for good according to some recent reviews, and the news last year of the layoffs.

At the same time, it looks like the Army Corps is preparing to start the island reconstruction project, with the Met Council voting on it next month.

The Gerdau building is beautiful in it's own regard, and absolutely MASSIVE. There are so many opportunities for what this space could become next. Whatever it becomes, having it transit connected could create more demand for development of the land south at Newport Bus Station (remember that project?). And could create a large rehabilitation project that would create a cleaner portion of the Mississippi. This is not a project I would see happening in the next 3 years, but rather a 10+ year project of healing for a section of the city that seems to have been forgotten history.

I'll leave you all with a couple links to start imagining it,

Völklingen Ironworks: https://goo.gl/maps/fEbb5QUQz9hvpa3f6

Gas Works Park: https://goo.gl/maps/JMhDtXXAxZMXQbEn7

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 31st, 2021, 8:06 am

That really IS a massive building.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 31st, 2021, 9:50 am

I hope someone with the Port Authority is actively pursuing the site with the County.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » April 1st, 2021, 9:10 pm

> Pig's Eye Park

I just spent some time looking into that whole area, it's pretty wild. There seems to be a ton of regional park over there, but it's next to impossible to get a map of boundaries or access points, and while it's apparently open for hiking the park is completely unmarked outside of the northern section with the archery range. Something to look into this summer I think.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 2nd, 2021, 9:30 am

Enter here: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9308283 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Be prepared for more ticks than you've ever seen in your entire life.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » April 3rd, 2021, 12:30 pm

Ooof. Good to know for both.