825 Carleton St

The Most Livable City in America™
mulad

825 Carleton St

Postby mulad » May 1st, 2013, 4:30 am

A nonprofit called PLACE is planning to redevelop a 1/2-acre site at 825 Carleton Street, a block away from the Raymond Avenue Green Line station, currently used by Anodyne Art Center. They're thinking of going as high as 11 stories, which is the tallest thing I can recall hearing about along the corridor outside of downtown Minneapolis, though it sounds like the exact height is not yet set. Whatever it turns out to be, it'd still be a bit shorter than the 14-story Seal Hi-Rise tower at 825 Seal Street, which sits at the top of a hill about a block away.

Anyway, they bought the site last year and have plans to build the housing (possibly including space for Anodyne to stick around), but they also want to build a greenhouse and include an anaerobic digester on the site which could generate electricity.

The Finance & Commerce article describes the potential construction as adding 11 stories on top of the existing building (1 story), but I'm pretty dubious about that. I imagine you could basically put a new building on stilts on top of it, just by boring holes through the existing structure to reach down into the ground, but I don't think that could really fly if any underground parking was attempted.

Not that it'd hurt to try a building that doesn't have any parking...

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/04/rai ... -corridor/

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: 825 Carleton St

Postby Didier » May 1st, 2013, 8:10 pm

Very interesting. I think Raymond and Westgate are going to be big winners from the green line.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » May 14th, 2013, 6:14 am

it would be helpful to have more 8-12 floor buildings constructed along the green line. this is a good start...

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 14th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Anyone know if there is any retail / housing development in the works on university near Hampton? Specifically across the street from the Lyric? The apartment building manager says that the developer who developed the Lyric is also the owner of the entire block across the street with the exception of the video game machine store. To me, it looks like St. Paul's best chance to do something amazing which complements the green line stop across the street...