586 Rice Street

The Most Livable City in America™
mulad

586 Rice Street

Postby mulad » June 26th, 2014, 10:40 am

I see that the derelict building at 586 Rice Street (northeast corner at the intersection with Como Ave, three blocks north of the Green Line's Capitol/Rice station) is being torn down. The current owners seem to have been holding onto it since 2000 (and the Ramsey County parcel viewer coincidentally lists the building value from 2013 as $2,000). I'm not aware of any plans here, though it's listed on at least one real estate site as a "newly prepped vacant lot"...

Edit: The PiPress ran an article on the history of the building last year: http://www.twincities.com/ci_23166429/r ... s-ready-be

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: 586 Rice Street

Postby Wedgeguy » June 26th, 2014, 10:51 am

Well 3 blocks from the LRT would definitely make the site a possible mixed residential/retail site. That is easy walking distance for a majority of people to the LRT, plus there is a bus line there also. Not sure how large the site is, to how big of a building that they could do. But I hope that it is mixed use.

Minneapolisite

Re: 586 Rice Street

Postby Minneapolisite » July 19th, 2014, 11:40 am

From the looks of it in that paper it doesn't look nearly far-gone enough to require demolition, but at the same time it wasn't much of a looker. Since it did hold a bowling alley it looks like it has enough room to hold more than just one business, but then is this just outside of the zoning requirements of the Central Corridor Overlay District, which in any case expired and I've found nothing similar in its place. Maybe it could become a used car lot for all we know.