ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: Downtown Saint Paul Post Office

Postby ProspectPete » June 19th, 2014, 9:29 pm

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown Saint Paul Post Office

Postby schmitzm03 » September 9th, 2014, 5:47 am

Based on the info in the Pioneer Press article mentioned in the St. Paul - General Topics thread (http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... nk-upscale), it sounds like the renovation of the old post office could be underway in October. Also, asbestos abatement is finished. Just thought I'd mention it in the proper thread in case people are interested.

NE_love
City Center

Re: Custom House - Downtown Saint Paul Post Office

Postby NE_love » November 10th, 2014, 1:09 pm

I drove over the new highway 52 bridge over the weekend. There is a construction elevator attached to building!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 12th, 2014, 7:47 am

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » February 25th, 2015, 12:16 am

New construction fencing and Frana Companies banners were going up at entrances along Sibley Street this morning.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 25th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Looks like the hotel portion is lined up:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... arthy.html

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » February 26th, 2015, 11:23 am

More details on the "hyatt place" hotel....

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ost_viewed

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 26th, 2015, 12:03 pm

I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Eden Prairie last year. I liked the finishes and decor, all of high quality materials with a nice aesthetic.

What I didn't like is that it lumped the various guest service functions of a hotel together. I wanted to order food after arriving back late, only to be told that they didn't have room service but I could place an order to pick up from the front desk. That's what I did, and after getting the food, it was obvious that the "Gallery Host" had just microwaved an entree that had been advertised as "freshly prepared". "Gallery Host" is really just a fancy word for "front desk agent, concierge, barista, breakfast attendant, bar tender, hotel chef" and thus isn't particularly good at any of those roles as their attention is all over the place.

As much as I disagree with the concept from a guest-service standpoint, another hotel in downtown St Paul is overdue and will fit in nicely with the rest of the recently refreshed hotels downtown.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 20th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Work was to have started in earnest this week. I look forward to having this property bring more pedestrian traffic to Kellogg. Can't wait to see how they rework the 1st for and the Hotel levels.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » May 21st, 2015, 7:53 am

There were no plans to connect Custom House to the TPT building via skyway, was there? I'd imagine it would take significant internal changes to Custom House in order to do so in a convenient and usable way for the building as a whole (it would have to connect several floors up). However, the only change to the TPT building would simply be knocking out a hole in the wall facing Kellogg. One can stare out the window in the TPT skyway directly at Custom House.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 21st, 2015, 10:00 am

There were no plans to connect Custom House to the TPT building via skyway, was there? I'd imagine it would take significant internal changes to Custom House in order to do so in a convenient and usable way for the building as a whole (it would have to connect several floors up). However, the only change to the TPT building would simply be knocking out a hole in the wall facing Kellogg. One can stare out the window in the TPT skyway directly at Custom House.
The only real way that they could get into the Custom House would be from the concourse of the Depot and go in from the side where the façade is not protected under the historic code. The front is protected as a historic façade. The side would work as that was part of where the PO was connected to the Depot in the past. Not sure that the developer would be up for spending that much money on a pretty long skyway to get them connected.

StahlCo
Block E

Postby StahlCo » June 17th, 2015, 2:01 pm

I found this thread a while ago and thought some would enjoy reading the following press release. For regular updates, visit http://www.stahlconstruction.com as well as our Facebook (StahlConstructionCo) and Twitter (@stahlco) pages.

-------------------------------------------

Stahl Construction Building Custom House Hotel in the Historic Lowertown Post Office in St. Paul

Minneapolis, MN; June 16, 2015 – Stahl Construction has begun interior demolition for a planned 149-room, five-story Hyatt Place hotel within the historic United States Post Office and Custom House building in the Lowertown neighborhood of St. Paul. The hotel will be completed in spring of 2016.

Stahl Construction was hired by Des Moines-based Nelson Construction & Development to complete the hotel portion of this mixed-use redevelopment. When complete, the new Custom House will also include 202 luxury apartments on the upper floors as well as other retail and commercial components. Nelson is developing the hotel, and Wichita-based LodgeWorks Partners, L.P. will operate the completed Hyatt Place.

Located at 180 Kellogg Boulevard East, this $19.7 million riverfront project involves the renovation and remodel of approximately 145,000-square-feet of space on the first five floors. The first floor will have a shared lobby for the residential tenants, hotel guests, and potential restaurant, with floors two through five featuring the Hyatt Place.

This 17-story art deco building was constructed in phases in 1934, 1939, and 1961, and was recently added to the National Register of Historic Places. Stahl will work with Nelson, the project architect, Des Moines-based INVISION Architecture, and the interior designer / engineer, Minneapolis-based BKV Group to maintain many of the building’s historic features and restoring the hotel lobby finishes.

Highlights of the project include modernizing three elevators and the exterior window systems with the original 1930s design. A new light well will be constructed in the core space of the hotel to offer guests with interior rooms natural daylight. A pool on the third floor will be added to the property along with meeting spaces, fitness area, and lounge. The hotel will also be equipped with a limited bar and kitchen area.

About Stahl Construction
Founded in 1981 by current owner and CEO Wayne Stahl, Stahl Construction provides owners with quality, competitively-priced general contracting and construction management services. Stahl Construction operates out of its corporate headquarters in St. Louis Park, Minnesota with a staff of construction professionals that include engineers, architects, project managers, field superintendents, and support personnel. A member of the U.S. Green Building Council, Stahl Construction is experienced in sustainable design and construction, with nearly one-third of employees recognized as LEED® Accredited Professionals.

For more information, visit http://www.stahlconstruction.com.

###

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 15th, 2015, 10:17 pm

http://bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/ ... oject.html

$125MM project between the hotel & apartments. This project is quietly the most important and potentially transformative private sector project in Lowertown, maybe in all of Downtown St. Paul at the moment

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » July 21st, 2015, 9:22 am

I agree, but it's a bit of a disappointment that this development will not have much of an impact on the surrounding blocks. Yes, it will put more people this side of downtown, but there are no restaurants or shops within a two block radius. All the buildings in the area have closed off street fronts with a single entrance.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » July 21st, 2015, 10:12 am

there are no restaurants or shops within a two block radius.
I believe they are trying to change this with the river walk/deck thing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 21st, 2015, 12:25 pm

I agree, but it's a bit of a disappointment that this development will not have much of an impact on the surrounding blocks. Yes, it will put more people this side of downtown, but there are no restaurants or shops within a two block radius. All the buildings in the area have closed off street fronts with a single entrance.
There is a restaurant inside of the depot that is less than one block. Mear's park is a long 2 blocks away and there are restaurants ringing Mears park. Even the apartment's along the greenway have to walk over 3 blocks to get to the restaurants in Uptown and Lynlake areas. So 2 blocks is not a killer. Plus I would bet there will be at least one to two eateries in the Custom House when it is finished.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » November 24th, 2015, 1:59 pm

All the sidewalks around the building have been rebuilt, with raised planters going in under the windows. On Jackson St, they bumped out the curb and built some sort of tiered walkway between the building and the new sidewalk.
Urbanist in the north woods

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » December 30th, 2015, 7:46 pm

New window installation started a couple of weeks ago and they are looking great.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » February 7th, 2016, 9:39 am

A couple of shots of how the windows are changing with the Custom House redevelopment: