Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Re: Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 4th, 2020, 10:25 am

Allianz Field tweeted out a map of the area around Allianz this morning to help volunteers find parking. It's worth noting the parcel at the corner of University and Snelling is listed as development in progress. I don't remember seeing anything proposed for that lot yet it's good news if the graphic up to date though.

Also when driving past Allianz last night there was a M Health sign above the NW gate

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I’m not 100 percent, but I’m pretty sure that space has always been fenced off and not used as a parking lot.

commissioner
Metrodome

Postby commissioner » June 23rd, 2020, 10:55 pm

I noticed fencing went up around what's left of the strip mall, are they going to tear it down (I know it was damaged during the riots)? Same with the liquor store in the old Perkins? or is it to keep people out while St. Paul fire/ATF investigate?

gopherfan
Metrodome

Postby gopherfan » June 24th, 2020, 3:18 pm

The buildings burned out will definitely be demolished. There's no way they can be renovated. Will they be rebuilt the same as before? Also definitely not. These sites, for better or worse are now the prime locations for redevelopment in the Twin Cities.

SurlyLHT
Foshay Tower

Postby SurlyLHT » June 25th, 2020, 2:00 pm

I agree, this is a prime place where people with money will come in and capitalize on the situaiton

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » July 4th, 2020, 9:55 pm

So we may be taking a step backwards in terms of the quality of development we are seeing in the area surrounding Allianz Field. Taco Bell franchisee Border Foods is making a third attempt to rebuild their Snelling Ave. location after twice being rejected by the city. This time, they are going with a COVID-19 justification with a good dose of post-riot recovery (with essentially the same plan that was turned down in 2015). All because Zantigo put in a drive thru some 40 years ago with questionable permits, they feel they should have a perpetual right to a drive-thru that provides maximum vehicle "stacking"... because they just care so much about the neighborhood and keeping people safe.