Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Re: Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 4th, 2020, 10:25 am

Allianz Field tweeted out a map of the area around Allianz this morning to help volunteers find parking. It's worth noting the parcel at the corner of University and Snelling is listed as development in progress. I don't remember seeing anything proposed for that lot yet it's good news if the graphic up to date though.

Also when driving past Allianz last night there was a M Health sign above the NW gate

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I’m not 100 percent, but I’m pretty sure that space has always been fenced off and not used as a parking lot.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » June 23rd, 2020, 10:55 pm

I noticed fencing went up around what's left of the strip mall, are they going to tear it down (I know it was damaged during the riots)? Same with the liquor store in the old Perkins? or is it to keep people out while St. Paul fire/ATF investigate?

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » June 24th, 2020, 3:18 pm

The buildings burned out will definitely be demolished. There's no way they can be renovated. Will they be rebuilt the same as before? Also definitely not. These sites, for better or worse are now the prime locations for redevelopment in the Twin Cities.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 25th, 2020, 2:00 pm

I agree, this is a prime place where people with money will come in and capitalize on the situaiton

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » July 4th, 2020, 9:55 pm

So we may be taking a step backwards in terms of the quality of development we are seeing in the area surrounding Allianz Field. Taco Bell franchisee Border Foods is making a third attempt to rebuild their Snelling Ave. location after twice being rejected by the city. This time, they are going with a COVID-19 justification with a good dose of post-riot recovery (with essentially the same plan that was turned down in 2015). All because Zantigo put in a drive thru some 40 years ago with questionable permits, they feel they should have a perpetual right to a drive-thru that provides maximum vehicle "stacking"... because they just care so much about the neighborhood and keeping people safe.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 19th, 2021, 11:27 am

Obviously different markets and all that, but here’s what they’re building around the new Washington DC soccer stadium.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/02/1 ... ard-point/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 19th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Obviously different markets and all that, but here’s what they’re building around the new Washington DC soccer stadium.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/02/1 ... ard-point/
You had to share something pretty we can't have? Haha

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » February 21st, 2021, 12:27 am

How real is that going to be though? I mean we have similar renders.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 29th, 2021, 9:39 am

https://www.startribune.com/vacant-walm ... 600051580/

Walmart on University becoming an At Home.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 29th, 2021, 9:53 am

Occupied stores are always better than vacant stores, but it's a little disappointing to lock in that three acre parking lot and 750' of blank street frontage for several more years.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » April 29th, 2021, 9:12 pm

Occupied stores are always better than vacant stores, but it's a little disappointing to lock in that three acre parking lot and 750' of blank street frontage for several more years.
I'd think a furniture store would need a fair bit less parking than a Walmart of the same size, so maybe there's still some potential for redeveloping part of the parking lot.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 30th, 2021, 7:00 am

That all depends on how their lease was written.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 30th, 2021, 7:50 am

There is so much space to develop in this area. It’s probably best to focus on filling in University-Snelling and the former Midway Shopping Center strip mall first anyway.

The two new apartment buildings on Snelling across from the stadium are a huge improvement.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 30th, 2021, 8:12 am

That makes sense. One superblock at a time.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 13th, 2021, 8:28 pm

https://www.twincities.com/2021/06/12/l ... n-st-paul/

Update from Bill McGuire in recent Pioneer Press Q&A.
Can you update where things are in terms of development around Allianz Field in St. Paul’s Midway neighborhood?

There was a huge setback with, at first, COVID. While it doesn’t necessarily impact development on the west side (of the 35-acre super block). The civil unrest and the burning of the shopping center … having to deal with those buildings and tenants being displaced and that building has to come down. That building will come down in the very near future. I think there is a permit being applied for. But even getting there is complicated. You’ve got to go through a lot of processes and figure things out. There are very extensive design plans and programmatic layouts for the whole development, potentially. Part of that is really dependent on certain things that the City of St. Paul is going to have to get done and approved, so some of that will be forthcoming. There are still some things that are gating issues in their world, let’s say. I think some things could happen.

The other thing of course is that we have got to find people willing to invest in buildings. They don’t just go up for nothing. If that place was fully built out and you filled all the area you could, you could be talking about a billion dollars of capital. I think the first several buildings are probably $120 (million), $150 (million) and you’ve got to get capital. Those investments are mixed in coming.

You’ve got to find the right people willing to invest, in this time, in a particular area that has had some issues on certain things when they can also invest elsewhere. We have to be sensitive. Fortunately, we have a few people who are interested in investing in the community, not just investing. I think it’s important that people realize there are investors who are investing to make money (and) there are other people willing to invest in a community. They may have slightly different goals, and we are very fortunate to have a couple of those. (MNUFC) has nothing to do with the development. I’m talking on behalf of Rick Birdoff because I help him. That’s the way he is looking at it. How do you bring things in that make it a great place as part of the community or the center of a community? It’s really more than, “Can we just put up some houses?” You want something that helps the place be a vibrant destination as well as living place, where people want to put their offices, where people want to have retail. You want a place where people want to come.”

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » September 21st, 2021, 4:34 pm

As I was going through the Midway area, I noticed that demolition of Midway Shopping Center is underway now and the old Perkins/Big Top is finally torn down.
Buildings, what buildings?

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » September 25th, 2021, 12:35 am

The old Perkins was torn down a few weeks ago. Any ideas of (if anything) they are going to build on those sites?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 25th, 2021, 7:45 pm

lol. none.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 18th, 2023, 11:30 am

Bill McGuire held a meeting last night with lots of updates on the development plans. Here are two threads that capture a lot of them:

https://twitter.com/IMSoccerNews/status ... 0975452334

https://twitter.com/MnNiceFC/status/1692548350145442243