Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby grant1simons2 » September 2nd, 2015, 8:50 pm

Sources say MLS wants city and franchise will build $150 million stadium at Midway site.

http://www.startribune.com/soccer-team- ... 324025811/

MNdible
is great.

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minnesota

Postby MNdible » September 2nd, 2015, 9:23 pm

Huh. I guess Hodges really showed them.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 2nd, 2015, 9:25 pm

We really did not need another stadium in Minneapolis. I walked past the Midway site the other day and got very depressed. At least the West Loop site has a groomed lawn and some nice trees w/o a ton of litter everywhere.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 2nd, 2015, 10:41 pm

So we're going to straight up admit that stadiums draw redevelopment then? Because everything I was hearing from the groupthink said that everything happening around downtown east, the north loop or stadium villiage was just coincidental and not applicable to a soccer stadium.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 3rd, 2015, 8:26 am

Per city emails released via data request, there were already developers making offers on some of the Midway site. Further, the area plan market study showed a healthy mix of demand for residential and retail, but that infrastructure (mostly structured parking) costs would make development tough to get done (assuming, of course, working with a handful of developers and not taking time to let the area build out a bit more naturally). So, no, I don't think this stadium in this location should be credited in the future with a significant share of driving redevelopment. My personal opinion is other stadium areas are about the same.

To the extent that this stadium can make some of that development pencil out in the short-term because they'll build their own parking (maybe? or is the city on the hook for that cost?), that's great. Maybe you could make the case that the accelerated redevelopment nearby (which will pay property taxes) as a result of parking warrants giving the stadium some % of tax abatements. But a $0 property tax deal forever is still a bad deal in that scenario.

Hopefully the MLS & MNU can convince the city to make the area a little more accessible to bikes, traffic a bit calmer, etc to really build this as a neighborhood and the type of urban place their supposed #millennial fan base wants.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 3rd, 2015, 9:51 am

There's a certain level of delusion in thinking that a stadium has a large hand in revitalizing a neighborhood. I heard a radio interview this week with Council President Johnson where she said that the Twins stadium was responsible for the success of the North Loop. Oh, really, Barb... Likewise, the bus barn site already had offers on it for developments that would actually contribute to St. Paul's tax base. And, with the right human-scale infrastructure and incremental development approach, it would be a thriving neighborhood in short order.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 3rd, 2015, 10:41 am

Both Star Tribune and Pioneer Press are reporting today that the Midway site is likely at this point.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_287 ... eports-say
http://www.startribune.com/soccer-team- ... 324025811/

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 3rd, 2015, 11:57 am

There's a certain level of delusion in thinking that a stadium has a large hand in revitalizing a neighborhood. I heard a radio interview this week with Council President Johnson where she said that the Twins stadium was responsible for the success of the North Loop. Oh, really, Barb... Likewise, the bus barn site already had offers on it for developments that would actually contribute to St. Paul's tax base. And, with the right human-scale infrastructure and incremental development approach, it would be a thriving neighborhood in short order.
If you remember back far enough, Target Center definitely had an influence on the warehouse district of the time. Although much of that is now a bit faded. China Town in DC definitely seemed to benefit from its arena too.

But yeah, all of it's against a backdrop of develop that makes it hard to really believe in causation. Maybe the way to think about it is like the Olympics -- they are projects that can open the public funding taps for infrastructure that facilitates redevelopment in ways that are not otherwise politically viable.

I do think its psychologically easier for private development money to follow public rather than venture off on its own. Does that make it worth it?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 3rd, 2015, 1:34 pm

Mayor confirms progress in St. Paul stadium talks
http://finance-commerce.com/2015/09/may ... z3khoe6EaK

I hope that the plans being made really take a look at the area very closely. This area is already a clogged traffic sewer (Snelling & University), and adding more cars, more pedestrians, more everything to that intersection, without substantial improvements makes me queasy. I hope it's done right.

I also hope that the Farmer's Market site doesn't sit for another 20 years with zero redevelopment.
There is SO MUCH potential there - and I hope that with the soccer stadium heading to St. Paul, that Minneapolis can really work to land something spectacular for this space.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 3rd, 2015, 1:37 pm

Hasn't there been evidence that much of that site has interest beyond the stadium? Weren't the Pohlads supposedly interested - stadium or no stadium? It may not fill in all-at-once like we're seeing in Downtown East, but I have to imagine that the West Loop area will look significantly different in 10 years.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 3rd, 2015, 6:31 pm

Hasn't there been evidence that much of that site has interest beyond the stadium? Weren't the Pohlads supposedly interested - stadium or no stadium? It may not fill in all-at-once like we're seeing in Downtown East, but I have to imagine that the West Loop area will look significantly different in 10 years.
I'd say that the West Loops development potential has more to do with the SWLRT and a potential soccer stadium. Making it easier for office workers, residents, businesses to get from the core to the west loop has more to do with a 365 day redevelopment and development that really only get life when there is a soccer season.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 8th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Another step complete, Ramsey County approves tax breaks.

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/09/ram ... r-stadium/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 10th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » September 11th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Love how the comment section instantly devolves into "Baaahhh, STADIUM BAD" and completely misses Bill's broader points about urban context, redevelopment catalyst, etc
Urbanist in the north woods

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 21st, 2015, 3:05 pm

MLS commissioner Don Garber was on his way to St. Paul, Minnesota, on Monday morning as an expansion timeline slowly comes into focus and the league’s board of governors eyes what could be a critical December meeting.

Assuming Garber gives St. Paul the thumbs-up this week, United should be on its way. Site preparation would start shortly and the state legislature reconvenes in March, when the club should receive final approval. That will leave time to finish construction by early 2018. Whether that year is Minnesota’s first or second in MLS remains to be seen.
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/09 ... nta-united

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » September 21st, 2015, 8:59 pm

Some video of Coleman and Garber today...

https://twitter.com/FrederickMelo/statu ... 4509251584

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 21st, 2015, 9:03 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 27th, 2015, 9:24 am

Telvin column on The MLS stadium saga. He quotes a couple North Loop property owners upset at Hodges. Praise for Hodges is from the man whose relevancy is limited to giving quotes to lazy reporters and columnists, Cam Winton.

http://startribune.com/local/minneapolis/329656751.html

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 27th, 2015, 9:49 am

But nobody says “Hey, wait a minute” to someone who has a lot of screw-you money. I know people who have dealt with McGuire, and my educated guess is that his idea of negotiation is that he tells you what he wants and you say “Yes, sir.”
Yeah, sounds like we really missed out.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 27th, 2015, 10:32 am

It's too bad that the rational voices in this conversation didn't start to speak up until it's almost certainly now going to St. Paul. And now that St. Paul has stuck its head out, that'd look really bad if somehow the team ended up going back to Minneapolis.

Ultimately the team started this process very poorly, but Mayor Hodges let populist anti-rich people sentiment and preconceived opinions about the term "stadium deal" overrule pragmatism and common sense. An MLS team in downtown Minneapolis would have been a great amenity for essentially no public risk.

Instead we've let categorically different public partnerships in Block E, Target Centet and U.S. Bank Stadium cloud our better judgement.