Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby Nathan » June 15th, 2018, 5:48 am

considering its a light colored material on a dirty jobsite is it possible it will be cleaned at the end and be more white-ish?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 15th, 2018, 9:27 am

I don't think it's the color, per se, that's giving me cheap vibes. It very well might play a role, but I think it just looks...incomplete? Not the building itself, which obviously is, but when it first started going up I figured it was some sort of insulation or other material that would be covered in a skin.

It also seems to be covered in "tags," which I haven't been able to identify from the highway. Are those lighting elements? Extra material? I can't figure them out and haven't been close enough to inspect. I think they somewhat detract from what could be a smooth, flowing exterior.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 15th, 2018, 9:35 am

Been watching for this article on the Bremer site since Silophant posted the meeting notice a few days ago:
I looked up this site the other day after seeing an article. Does anybody know the background of the weird retaining wall that surrounds this site? It appears to be the remnants of an old building that sat there and was only partially demolished.

Google maps view.

(Why can't I get the googlemaps embed to work?)

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » June 15th, 2018, 10:55 am

I don't think it's the color, per se, that's giving me cheap vibes. It very well might play a role, but I think it just looks...incomplete? Not the building itself, which obviously is, but when it first started going up I figured it was some sort of insulation or other material that would be covered in a skin.

It also seems to be covered in "tags," which I haven't been able to identify from the highway. Are those lighting elements? Extra material? I can't figure them out and haven't been close enough to inspect. I think they somewhat detract from what could be a smooth, flowing exterior.
Last week I passed by the Banc of California Stadium which was finished recently and it seemed to have a similar type of fabric exterior of the St Paul stadium. Surprisingly, there seemed to be wrinkles in the fabric when I got up close.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 15th, 2018, 1:45 pm

It's pretty premature to judge the wrap, considering it's not finished and not lit up yet.

datasage
City Center

Postby datasage » June 15th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I drive by it every day on my way to work. It is really affected by lighting. When the sun is out, it looks more white or silvery and on overcast days a very drab gray.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » June 16th, 2018, 6:22 pm

considering its a light colored material on a dirty jobsite is it possible it will be cleaned at the end and be more white-ish?
No, the sample they had at the season seats "experience" was the same grayish color.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 16th, 2018, 6:24 pm

It was never going to be white.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » June 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Yeah, like I said I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person when it's done and lit. But I can't imagine they'd pick a bad-looking wrap for a $250m stadium.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » June 28th, 2018, 1:32 pm

I don't know what product they're using, but it's entirely possible that the wrap has a protective layer that will be peeled away when the project is complete (hence the "tabs"). Not unlike the screen on a new laptop.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm

There are also gaps between the sections of the exterior as well where the steel ribs are. Hopefully the materials can stretch over time and close those because it doesn't look great with those gaps and the tabs. But I'm holding back final judgement until they are completely done with the exterior.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » July 12th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Interesting story on MNUFC's website about the PTFE exterior.

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2018/07/11/p ... ianz-field

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 24th, 2018, 4:53 pm

From an interview today in the Athletic with Bill McGuire:
You had mentioned large green spaces and a “Great Lawn” surrounding the new stadium. Is that on track for 2019?

The Great Lawn is going to be in this fall. That’ll all be done — you’ll be able to see Shields Avenue going in front of the stadium, a big plaza on the north side’s main entrance to the stadium, nearly an acre or more of green grass, 177 very large trees lining the streets and around the stadium where there was never a tree, a stormwater system to collect water and return it to the trees and the grass — it’ll all be visible late this fall.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » July 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm

From an interview today in the Athletic with Bill McGuire:
You had mentioned large green spaces and a “Great Lawn” surrounding the new stadium. Is that on track for 2019?

The Great Lawn is going to be in this fall. That’ll all be done — you’ll be able to see Shields Avenue going in front of the stadium, a big plaza on the north side’s main entrance to the stadium, nearly an acre or more of green grass, 177 very large trees lining the streets and around the stadium where there was never a tree, a stormwater system to collect water and return it to the trees and the grass — it’ll all be visible late this fall.
Awesome. Let's hope it turns out as good as it sounds.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » August 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm

There's an interior view camera now, https://www.mnufc.com/stadium/stream

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » August 14th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Lights are on tonight on the webcams:

Exterior

Interior

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » August 15th, 2018, 3:59 am

When I saw the photos on here with silver instead of white covering, I was kind of disappointed. After seeing live, I like the silver - it kind of has a metallic sheen and a herringbone like pattern. All I need is some assurance that those white tabs will be removed.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » August 15th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Drone video of the lit-up stadium on Reddit
I shot this on a really low exposure to highlight the lights and make it pop more. Naked eye, the translucent “skin” the stadium is wrapped in is much more apparent, and in the day time the stadium looks very much like the render actually.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » August 15th, 2018, 12:48 pm

More pics on Twitter

atburns
Block E

Postby atburns » August 17th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Wasn't able to get a picture but they are removing some of the white tabs today!