Highland Bridge: Ford Site Redevelopment

The Most Livable City in America™
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Highland Bridge: Ford Site Redevelopment

Postby Mdcastle » September 3rd, 2021, 10:27 am

Anything more than 50 as standard makes no sense because you're dealing with the niche scenario of people that choose to live in a Highland Bridge row house, yet have two electric cars that need to be charged fully every night.

Also a new single family detached house generally comes with a 200 amp (or more) main panel and can absorb an 80 amp branch circuit, but you might have to upside the service to the entire unit. My stepfathers townhouse isn't that old and comes with only a 100 amp panel.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 3rd, 2021, 1:07 pm

Talking with the Pulte site foreman, the rowhomes will have EVSE availability as an option. He did not know the amperage off the top of his head.
Hopefully 60 or 80, and honestly I think the feature should be standard. 5 years from now it will be.
Any word about rooftop solar, whether on the townhomes, the mansions, or any of the other buildings on this site?

(I know there is a plan for a solar array to the SW, but at this point, renewable energy production is far from zero-sum.)

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » September 3rd, 2021, 4:01 pm

Not that I’m aware of, but I’m just a ditch digger.

My HS Trig teacher was right.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » September 3rd, 2021, 5:23 pm

the world needs ditch diggers too

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » September 4th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Talking with the Pulte site foreman, the rowhomes will have EVSE availability as an option. He did not know the amperage off the top of his head.
Hopefully 60 or 80, and honestly I think the feature should be standard. 5 years from now it will be.
Any word about rooftop solar, whether on the townhomes, the mansions, or any of the other buildings on this site?

(I know there is a plan for a solar array to the SW, but at this point, renewable energy production is far from zero-sum.)
I thought the solar array was being considered for Area C? Which, I thought, was still owned by Ford due to the contamination.

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » September 4th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Anything more than 50 as standard makes no sense because you're dealing with the niche scenario of people that choose to live in a Highland Bridge row house, yet have two electric cars that need to be charged fully every night.
I wonder if that will be a niche scenario three years from now. As far as more than 50 amp, Clipper Creek already makes a dual charger that can use 40 amps. When we see more EV’s come to market, range war will replace hp wars. Those battery packs won’t get smaller. I expect CC, Grizzl-E, JuiceBox, and the others to all have product offerings for dual set ups.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 5th, 2021, 10:08 pm

I don't doubt that battery packs will get bigger, just that considering the average car gets driven 30 miles a day, I don't see the scenario where both of the cars at the residence will need to be charged to the full 200 miles or whatever of range every single night as especially common.

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » September 26th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Tomorrow we start sealing up the new pedestrian tunnel underneath Mississippi Boulevard at Hidden Falls. Hope to have road back open in 2.5-3 weeks.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 29th, 2021, 12:49 pm

On the subject of office development here, I do hope they stick with medical / office for Block 1 and Block 5 in the northwest corner of the site. Good spot for that, though clearly not a sure thing yet. Medical office ought to be more durable of a market than spec office, especially if Ryan plans to build that themselves. Both M Health Fairview and Allina have small-ish clinics in the area, so there are potential users for that space already in the Highland area.

Block map and timeline bump: https://www.stpaul.gov/sites/default/fi ... ite%29.pdf
I’m batting 1.000 on my calls in this thread. M Health Fairview to anchor 60k sf medical office building at Ford & Mount Curve (Block 1). 20% less space than the 75k sq. ft. that Ryan originally forecast, but I’m still glad to see things humming along here, not terribly far behind Ryan’s pre-pandemic timeline. https://www.twincities.com/2021/09/28/r ... stream=top

That’s now the second large vacancy created in the immediate area by a business moving into a new building. The old (current) Lund’s space will need a new tenant, as will the Lifetime building across the street where the M/Fairview clinic is currently. Unless Lifetime expands into that space, I’d expect it will remain some type of clinic/office.

Article also includes this image:

When will I be able to drive or bike around these new streets?

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » September 29th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Like I told the retired gentleman cruising down Cretin on his bike today, not yet.

We opened the overflow from the central water feature into the Hidden Falls park yesterday. (Just south of Montreal) The waterfalls turned out awesome. I will try to upload the vid and put the link here.

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » September 29th, 2021, 8:29 pm

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 29th, 2021, 11:11 pm

That’s awesome. I drop the kids off at school over near here every day and on occasion will drive down to the hidden falls overlook and peek through the construction fencing. Seeing the trails and sidewalks and water connections come together has been a blast. Can’t wait to get closer as things open up.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 30th, 2021, 9:03 am

I continue to be a little dumbstruck that this is actually all happening, more or less according to plan.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 30th, 2021, 7:01 pm

When will I be able to drive or bike around these new streets?
Hopefully soon. We won’t be able to once everyone moves in and it’s a traffic apocalypse.

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » October 3rd, 2021, 7:40 pm

We hope to have the Hidden Falls plaza tunnel buried by the end of the week. Meaning, curbs, paths, and street the following week.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 3rd, 2021, 7:47 pm

Hopefully soon. We won’t be able to once everyone moves in and it’s a traffic apocalypse.
:lol: wut?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 4th, 2021, 6:40 pm

:lol: wut?
Sorry, I forgot the /s

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » October 10th, 2021, 9:50 am

Block 1 will start on November 8th.

datasage
City Center

Postby datasage » October 18th, 2021, 5:53 pm

Updated drone footage released by Ryan companies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5f3oc5wdY

Cat385
Metrodome

Postby Cat385 » October 30th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Rubber ducky races from the central water feature to Hidden Falls, scheduled for yesterday, had to be postponed due to a concrete pour at the control structure north of Mississippi River Boulevard. No word on new date.

MRB is scheduled to be paved Monday, bike and walking paths on Tuesday.