Raymond Station area developments

The Most Livable City in America™
Anondson
IDS Center

Raymond Station area developments

Postby Anondson » February 15th, 2019, 8:57 pm

The Raymond and University area has had a strong attraction to redevelopment projects and proposals. I’m certain more will be coming. I felt it worth getting a thread for them.

Starting with a proposal for 120+ rentals in a mixed use proposal at 2250 University.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/02/ra ... n-st-paul/

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Raymond Station area developments

Postby Qhaberl » February 15th, 2019, 9:45 pm

My only worry about the Devolopments in this area is the smell. I go over to state services for the blind about a block away. Its not horrible, you would get used to it if you live there, but I am concerned about any health impacts from breathing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » February 18th, 2019, 5:39 pm

It's unfortunate that the first two floors of this will be parking. It's almost more like a parking ramp with wrapped by some housing and some retail - hopefully they can repurpose those parking levels in future.

I guess they had underground pollution issues so underground parking wasn't going to work.

Overall good mixed use, variety of unit sizes, density is good thing.

It will be interesting to see how much parking these apartments in the area need. The underground parking at nearby Prospect Park station apartments, Fresh Thyme grocery store seems pretty under-utilized - like I've never seen it more than half full. But my condos near Westgate Station seem to use all of the underground parking and also people parking up interior private surface spots.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 19th, 2019, 7:29 am

It will be interesting to see how much parking these apartments in the area need. The underground parking at nearby Prospect Park station apartments, Fresh Thyme grocery store seems pretty under-utilized - like I've never seen it more than half full. But my condos near Westgate Station seem to use all of the underground parking and also people parking up interior private surface spots.
The parking you see at Fresh Thyme in the Link are for the retail spaces in that building. The apartment parking is actually full its just separated out from that general parking.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » February 19th, 2019, 4:11 pm

So the entire underground parking area is for retail?

Because I see open spots all the time closer to the apartment entrances, also.

More open spots in retail area tho.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 20th, 2019, 7:46 am

There is another garage door under there that leads to the apt parking. I think it goes down another level bellow that as well for residences.

I agree with you tho I think there are and will be a lot of people in the area that can just walk to the retail in those areas.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » February 24th, 2019, 9:17 pm

It looks like Exeter Group (developer of C&E Lofts, Custom House and Cobalt) bought the SOS Office Furniture building at 2441 University last June. This will definitely be a property to keep an eye on!

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 26th, 2019, 8:46 am

Baffled that nobody has bought out the Twin Cities Reptiles/Fire and Ice Ministries building yet.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 26th, 2019, 9:25 pm

There are some wild reptiles in that place. No pun intended.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Creative enterprise zone is doing a mural festival in Sept - if you know of any blank walls in the Raymond/Univeristy area that would make a good mural canvas, know a building owner etc, let them know.

https://creativeenterprisezone.org/chroma-zone

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Kraus Anderson Dev at Raymond & University (form US Bank branch)

Postby karen nelson » October 25th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Been hearing for awhile that US Bank branch at north east corner of Raymond and University would be closing by Dec because property had been sold.

Rumor now is it is Kraus Anderson developing the site - they are buying the bank branch building and the building to east of it on University also. Apparently mixed use, housing (micro apartments) with some retail.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Kraus Anderson Dev at Raymond & University (form US Bank branch)

Postby alexschief » October 25th, 2019, 5:35 pm

The Raymond/University intersection has a lot of great older buildings and some good recent conversions, but has been a little slow to catch the eye of developers. The US Bank corner is one key location, the surface lots west of Workhorse are another, and the one-story taxpayer that houses Twin Cities Reptiles and Mountain of Fire Ministries is a third (unsure if it'll be brought into this development, hopefully not).

Enormous potential for this entire area.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 3rd, 2019, 10:41 am

On Monday there was a rig drilling in the parking lot of the US Bank. Looks like the rumors of that parcel on track for redevelopment may be true. Would be huge to upgrade the one true weak corner of this intersection.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 4th, 2019, 8:54 am

The Raymond and University area has had a strong attraction to redevelopment projects and proposals. I’m certain more will be coming. I felt it worth getting a thread for them.

Starting with a proposal for 120+ rentals in a mixed use proposal at 2250 University.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/02/ra ... n-st-paul/
This is now under construction.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » March 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm

Several variances have been applied for related to the building at 2225 University (former offices of Paster Properties):

Conditional use permit to increase maximum height from 50 feet to 58 feet, parking variance (147 spaces required, 90 proposed),
variance of minimum percentage of first floor devoted to non-residential principal use (50% required, 4.4% proposed),
and variance of first floor devoted to residential use (50% maximum, 95.6% proposed).

Does anyone know about the proposal for this site? I don't recall seeing anything.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 7th, 2020, 12:55 am

They presented for second time at SAPCC Land Use commitee meeting on Thursday night.

It's 4-5 story market-rate residential just to west of McDonald's, its mostly smaller units but also some 2 and and a few 3 bedrooms, which developers expect to be mostly roommates renting.

Basically rectangular building with some shallow idents on east side with outdoor patios in those above lower parking garage and a roof deck on part of top of building.

At back of site the lot includes land off to east that will be small surface parking lot/entrance to underground garage. Front corner on University will have small.commercial, rest of University Ave frontage will have apt amenities with windows open to street.

They had planned to do more commercial and have entrance to commercial be a curb cut on University Ave and a lot more parking garage spots to meet zoning for commercial parking requirements but by reducing commercial sf and thus reducing parking needs, no cars entering via front/University, so much better in my mind than original proposal

There are RR tracks behind building, north end, that RR is not inclined to abandon, so for now, no luck getting a decent public sidewalk along Charles.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 7th, 2020, 1:04 am

Oh, they are only block from the area around Raymond station that wouldn't even require the lower parking that they are asking a variance for.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » March 7th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Thanks for the info, Karen. Looking forward to seeing more activity in the area!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: Kraus Anderson Dev at Raymond & University (form US Bank branch)

Postby ProspectPete » April 21st, 2020, 11:22 am

Does anybody know if this project is still set to go? Other than the bank being closed, I didn't see any real progress the last time I drove by.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 7th, 2020, 8:14 am

A bit more about 2225 University. Here is the submission to the zoning committee.

It's 147 units and 90 parking spaces. The design is fine. What I find most interesting is the development team. The lead is Paster Development, but the other half is Yellow Tree. I'm not aware of Yellow Tree doing any work in St. Paul. If this partnership with Paster is an indication that they are thinking about moving into St. Paul on their own, then that could be significant. They have been absolutely prolific with their work in south Minneapolis, building these 50-200 unit buildings with about 50-60% parking spaces per unit. It's exactly the kind of development that St. Paul needs more of, and this building fits the model.