TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

St. Paul RiverCentre Ramp RFP

Postby TroyGBiv » December 12th, 2019, 5:03 pm

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: St. Paul RiverCentre Ramp RFP

Postby SurlyLHT » December 13th, 2019, 12:34 pm

The 25 story tower is interesting. I'm really hoping St Paul gets some more activity. We need both of our Twin Cities to be strong.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » December 14th, 2019, 3:03 pm

I'm surprised they had that many responses to the RFP, I figured the city was going to be lucky 1 mediocre response and it sounds like they have multiple very solid options to pick from. It will be interesting to see site plans, layouts and renderings when they come out

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » December 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » December 19th, 2019, 6:33 am

I really like the looks of the Mille Lacs tower - clean and simple lines. I wish the buildings in the jail site proposal had something similar.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 19th, 2019, 10:24 am

That tower would be a huge win for the city. I hope it gets built. It also appears this RFP has done better than Minneapolis's most recent RFP .

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 19th, 2019, 11:59 am

I'd much rather see the city prioritize meat and potatoes housing and office when evaluating the submissions for this site. All of these projects are going to ask the city and county for a subsidy, and I'm suspicious of grand plans for destination event spaces and luxury hotels. Those are a big risk, and even in the best case scenario will keep this corner of town nearly as dead as it has long been.

What the city needs above all is a healthy amount of people living and working downtown. If working towards that goal means picking a less sexy proposal here, that's fine. Renderings aren't reality.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » January 6th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Is it strange that the Port Authority has submitted a proposal that competes against private developers? I don't get why we have them doing this.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Is it strange that the Port Authority has submitted a proposal that competes against private developers? I don't get why we have them doing this.
My guess is that it might be a fall back option in case other proposals wind up falling through due to the challenges of reconstructing/financing the car park.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 7th, 2020, 2:58 pm

And looking into it further, it appears that the Prairie Island Community and Port Authority are teaming up:

https://www.twincities.com/2020/01/06/p ... ntre-ramp/

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 7th, 2020, 3:55 pm

What... does the Port Authority do.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » January 7th, 2020, 8:45 pm

About Us
History
The Minnesota Legislature established the Saint Paul Port Authority as a non-profit governmental agency in 1929 to manage the Saint Paul Harbor. In 1932, the City of Saint Paul transferred Barge Terminal One to the Saint Paul Port Authority. Barge Terminal Two was added in 1960, followed by Red Rock and Southport in 1964. All four ports continue to be managed by the Saint Paul Port Authority, stimulating the local economy through good paying jobs and property tax revenue.

In 1955, the Legislature authorized the Port to engage in economic development activities inland. Our first redevelopment project, Riverview Business Center, was built in 1962. Since then, 16 more inland business centers have been developed, contributing to approximately 25,000 good paying jobs in the City of Saint Paul.

Governance
The Saint Paul Port Authority is managed by a 7-member Board of Commissioners. The Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor of the City of Saint Paul to six-year terms. Two members of the Saint Paul City Council sit on the Board.

The organization also follows guidelines set forth in Minnesota State Statutes.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » January 8th, 2020, 3:43 am

That Port Authority proposal is one ugly building (IMO), so my money is on it being the project that is selected.

https://imgur.com/a/NYiRm6S

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » January 8th, 2020, 12:39 pm

“Ugly” is too kind for the Port Authority/Treasure Island proposal. This would be a colossal eye-sore. The project at the top of the page is in the same category as this beast - tasteless architecture that would be a setback for downtown St. Paul. The Mille Lacs proposal is dazzling - but perhaps, too dazzling to actually get built in St. Paul. I wonder how long it will be before we see the other three proposals.