Saint Paul Districts and Neighborhoods

The Most Livable City in America™
thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Saint Paul Districts and Neighborhoods

Postby thespeedmccool » September 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm

I'll start by saying that I don't think there is yet a thread to discuss Saint Paul's 17 district councils or other hyperlocal governments. They don't get as much attention as their Minneapolis counterparts, but they come up occasionally and are highly involved with things like road reconstructions, transit, and parks.

To be honest, I'm opening this thread to ask a very particular question that I hope someone here can answer. Where can I find a map of St. Paul's neighborhoods? Not district councils, neighborhoods. I know that multiple neighborhoods make up a community (like in Minneapolis,) but I cannot find any map or resource that delineates these neighborhoods.

I know they exist because I've found reference to them in a few places. Notably, signs visible when entering St. Paul have the neighborhoods on them (these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborh ... t-Paul.jpg). Further, some districts have maps of their own that appear to indicate that the entire city is cut up into official neighborhoods (see page six of this document: https://www.stpaul.gov/sites/default/fi ... 0Draft.pdf).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: Saint Paul Districts and Neighborhoods

Postby LakeCharles » September 16th, 2021, 7:48 am

This is a great question and amazing that not much is out there. I have looked too, and what I've found doesn't feel very official.

But this site claims to have boundaries for all the neighborhoods:
https://www.zipdatamaps.com/nh-st-paul- ... ttle-creek
If you go into any ZIP code and scroll down, it has all the neighborhoods within that ZIP, and you can see the boundaries there.

If you do find anything else, please post back here because I'd be curious too.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 16th, 2021, 7:58 am

Aside from the district council boundaries, all of the neighborhood designations are pretty informal, and I don't think a lot of residents would be able to name them easily.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 16th, 2021, 8:16 am

I can hardly even name my own neighborhood in St. Paul.

Union Park (District Council) -- boring, nondescript name,
Merriam Park -- better, but associated with the uppity areas north of St. Thomas and around the park itself,
Snelling-Hamline -- two ... parallel roads(?).

This is a great project for someone, and yet I'm not even sure it's really something that could be compiled cleanly.