Hmong College Prep Academy Expansion

The Most Livable City in America™
mulad

Hmong College Prep Academy Expansion

Postby mulad » October 21st, 2012, 11:10 pm

I was surprised to see a crane pop up in my neighborhood this past week. It looks like the Hmong College Prep Academy at 1515 Brewster Street is expanding into a parking lot just east of their current building (between HCPA and the neighboring Metro Deaf School). Temporary buildings (presumably classrooms) had been set up on the west side of the HCPA building several weeks ago -- presumably they'll be used as the wall on the east side of the building gets opened up and the rooms over there become unusable for a time.

I tried taking a few photos over the weekend, though there isn't a whole lot to see yet -- they cleared the site by tearing out the parking lot as well as stripping the trees and other vegetation from the hill going up to Wynne Ave just to the north of the site. Looking at Google Maps, it appears that a small 1-story structure connected to the main building has been razed.

Here's a Hmong Times article from this summer: http://www.hmongtimes.com/main.asp?Sear ... ionID=&S=1

The expansion apparently includes 78,088 square feet of new space with:
  • 39 "education spaces" (classrooms, etc.)
  • 2nd lunchroom
  • 2nd gymnasium
  • More performance space for band, choir, and drama groups including 400+ seat theater
  • A new technology lab/library

MNdible
is great.

Re: Hmong College Prep Academy expansion

Postby MNdible » October 22nd, 2012, 9:45 am

What a sadly unwalkable site for an urban school...

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 29th, 2012, 9:57 pm

A small render of the building. Construction is underway.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 30th, 2013, 8:05 am

A shot from yesterday. The front of the nearest part of the building has ends that stick out. It has a slight rhombus shape to it. It seems alright, at least compared to the rest of the building. I wouldn't want to be one of the residents along Wynne Ave who has to stare at the back side of this, though. (There's a small cliff behind the building, so they only see about 1 or 1.5 stories of it, but it's still pretty stark on that side.)