Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
mulad

Buck's Unpainted Furniture - Roseville

Postby mulad » June 4th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Not sure what the deal was with this -- a renovation or rebuild of Buck's Unpainted Furniture on Larpenteur (west of Snelling) in Roseville.
Image link

Cyclotron
City Center

Re: Buck's Unpainted Furniture - Roseville

Postby Cyclotron » June 5th, 2012, 10:11 am

I believe the old Buck's is being rebuilt to house an insurance company of some sort.
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

mulad

Hermes Floral - Roseville

Postby mulad » November 17th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Finally turned my head in that direction today. It's now Hermes Floral.

Image link

twincitizen

Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » November 26th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Good news for this prominent intersection:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ville.html

Planet Fitness has begun construction on a new location in Roseville, where it will fill one of the city's last significant retail vacancies. The gym is leasing roughly 32,000-square-foot space at 1750 County Road 36 that previously was occupied by Circuit City. The shopping center, located near Rosedale Center, is owned and anchored by Sports Authority. (ED: Is that right? Sports Authority owns the shopping center? Seems unusual, although maybe they picked it up on the cheap after CC tanked)

Page 2 has a not 100% accurate summary of past Roseville retail changes (parentheses mine):

"Previous deals include:
Bed Bath & Beyond and Kirklands replaced Linens 'n Things (Rosedale Corner(?) mall at NE corner of Fairview & B2)
Gordmans replaced a United Artists Theater (Crossroads Mall)
Best Buy and Dick’s Sporting Goods went into a former Rainbow Foods (actually Best Buy moved next door into Rainbow, and Dicks moved into former Best Buy several years later)
Staples and K&G Stores took over an AMC Theater (HarMar)
Jo-Ann Fabrics occupied a former Wickes Furniture store (Crossroads, near Kohl's and Dick's...but it vacated a space at Rosedale Corner)
Cost Plus World Market reopened a store it had closed (Fairdale Shoppes)
The remaining vacancies include former Northwestern Books, J.C. Penney (no...that's wrong) and T.J. Maxx stores."

(BWW moved from HarMar into TGIF near Fairview and B2)
(Ultimate Electronics is still vacant)

Why do I know so much or care about Rosedale area retail space? I used to manage the Jimmy John's over there and delivered for a bit too. I'm kinda fascinated/glad that it has remained such a strong retail market. How that area can support a major regional mall (Rosedale) as well as several fairly outdated medium-box/strip malls is beyond me. I count Crossroads, HarMar, Rosedale Corner, Fairdale Shoppes, Rosedale Square (the Byerly's shopping center at Snelling&Co Rd C), the subject of this story, plus several out-buildings...

MNdible
is great.

Re: Planet Fitness to fill vacant Roseville Circuit City

Postby MNdible » November 26th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Rosedale has a great location with no real competition on that side of town.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 27th, 2012, 8:41 am

Rosedale is the second highest grossing mall after MOA.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2012, 9:05 am

Rosedale is the second highest grossing mall after MOA.
Other than Maplewood, Rosedale has the north and east side of town pretty much to it's self. There is no feeding off each other like in the south and west burbs!

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » November 27th, 2012, 9:30 am

The fact that Rosedale is so financially successful makes it all the more puzzling to me that they couldn't fill that huge Borders space with something better than a furniture store. The lack of a bookstore really makes it a much less attractive mall to visit, in my opinion.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 27th, 2012, 10:44 am

Isn't Rosedale surviving by killing off the adjacent smaller centers, i.e. Crossroads? Whereas the opposite is happening at other shopping malls. Not sure if this is due to Rosedale being more dynamic than the typical regional shopping center or Rosedale's hangers-on being less dynamic than the typical hangers-on.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2012, 11:19 am

I think my initial comment was misinterpreted. I wasn't questioning the continued success of Rosedale Center itself, but the relative success of the "hangers-on" to remain leased up, especially Har-Mar. Rosedale itself has a fantastic location on two busy highways, closer to both downtowns than any other DALE. It also took advantage of Mervyn's closing to tear down an anchor and add AMC (aka steal it from HarMar) and the "lifestyle center". 3 of the "hangers-on" are those weird indoor-outdoor hyrbids where the indoor section is close to 100% dead but the outside is thriving...which doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

I almost wish one of the "hangers-on" would struggle so the configuration could be revamped/modernized (again, Har-Mar) but that hasn't happened.

The death of Brookdale and struggles of Northtown (and Maplewood from what I hear) can't be ignored in this conversation. Good point, wedgeguy, about Rosedale having a huge slice of the market to itself.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 27th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Some of the retail areas around Rosedale are killing themselves. Crossroads is one of the most poorly constructed retail spaces I've seen - parking is terrible and the lot is downright dangerous to drive in, although somehow it is almost full...Some of the strip centers need to go though; you could put some nice office projects around there to stabilize things a little more. A lot of these spaces are getting up there in age and either need to be remodeled or disappear.
It's great to see Planet Fitness taking up the space next to Sports Authority, it should be a really nice fit for both of them.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 27th, 2012, 12:08 pm

I've never heard the term "hangers-on" before....is that a real term or some poorly-slung inside jargon?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 27th, 2012, 12:46 pm

I dunno it seems well-slung to me.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2012, 2:48 pm

More retail news: http://finance-commerce.com/2012/11/bac ... box-space/

I stand corrected. They're not "medium boxes", they're "juinor boxes".

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 27th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Is it even possible to go inside the Crossroads mall in Roseville?

mulad

Postby mulad » November 27th, 2012, 7:49 pm

I think it's all been closed off at this point. I think there are notices on the doors to the interior saying that there's ongoing construction, but they've probably been like that for 3 or 4 years now. After AMC moved from HarMar to Rosedale Center, the Rosedale Commons theater died off quickly. Kohl's closed off their entrance to the mall a while later (I once tried going through Kohl's to the mall with some coworkers after getting some lunch, but we just ended up going in circles because of that).

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm

I think it's all been closed off at this point. I think there are notices on the doors to the interior saying that there's ongoing construction, but they've probably been like that for 3 or 4 years now. After AMC moved from HarMar to Rosedale Center, the Rosedale Commons theater died off quickly. Kohl's closed off their entrance to the mall a while later (I once tried going through Kohl's to the mall with some coworkers after getting some lunch, but we just ended up going in circles because of that).

Guess it's all vacant inside from the looks of it. So if anybody wan't to start a retail store! :idea:

http://www.wilkow.com/site/files/804/81 ... _2011_.pdf

http://www.wilkow.com/site/epage/81388_804.htm

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 29th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Are you telling me kids don't do birthday parties at Lava Links any more? :o

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 30th, 2012, 1:33 am

Haha, I had a birthday party at Lava Links. Lazer Tag! :D

I knew it was pretty empty in the interior, but I didn't know it was closed completely...
My flickr photos.

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » July 22nd, 2013, 1:04 am

Good news for this prominent intersection:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ville.html

Planet Fitness has begun construction on a new location in Roseville, where it will fill one of the city's last significant retail vacancies. The gym is leasing roughly 32,000-square-foot space at 1750 County Road 36 that previously was occupied by Circuit City. The shopping center, located near Rosedale Center, is owned and anchored by Sports Authority. (ED: Is that right? Sports Authority owns the shopping center? Seems unusual, although maybe they picked it up on the cheap after CC tanked)

Page 2 has a not 100% accurate summary of past Roseville retail changes (parentheses mine):

"Previous deals include:
Bed Bath & Beyond and Kirklands replaced Linens 'n Things (Rosedale Corner(?) mall at NE corner of Fairview & B2)
Gordmans replaced a United Artists Theater (Crossroads Mall)
Best Buy and Dick’s Sporting Goods went into a former Rainbow Foods (actually Best Buy moved next door into Rainbow, and Dicks moved into former Best Buy several years later)
Staples and K&G Stores took over an AMC Theater (HarMar)
Jo-Ann Fabrics occupied a former Wickes Furniture store (Crossroads, near Kohl's and Dick's...but it vacated a space at Rosedale Corner)
Cost Plus World Market reopened a store it had closed (Fairdale Shoppes)
The remaining vacancies include former Northwestern Books, J.C. Penney (no...that's wrong) and T.J. Maxx stores."

(BWW moved from HarMar into TGIF near Fairview and B2)
(Ultimate Electronics is still vacant)

Why do I know so much or care about Rosedale area retail space? I used to manage the Jimmy John's over there and delivered for a bit too. I'm kinda fascinated/glad that it has remained such a strong retail market. How that area can support a major regional mall (Rosedale) as well as several fairly outdated medium-box/strip malls is beyond me. I count Crossroads, HarMar, Rosedale Corner, Fairdale Shoppes, Rosedale Square (the Byerly's shopping center at Snelling&Co Rd C), the subject of this story, plus several out-buildings...

Good summary. Sport Authority might own Planet Fitness. I stopped over there this winter to ask PF why their sidewalk wasn't plowed and they deferred me to the Sport Authority management.

Ultimate Electronics has been divided into 3 smaller retain stores, but interestingly enough 2 of them are focused on the bed industry.

I didn't even know there was a Jimmy John's by Rosedale? Is that in the mall, or are you referring to the one over by Byerlys? I am also surprised that all of the tenants can fill the buildings given the massive amount of retail in that area.