Excelsior and Grand Area - St. Louis Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Re: Excelsior and Grand Area Development - St. Louis Park

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » April 2nd, 2015, 10:35 pm

Saw that new photo posted on a SLP history-oriented Facebook page. Threw me for a loop seeing six stories. Everyone but me was complaining "... aaarrrrgh, MOAR apartments!!1!"
I don't think I'll ever manage to wrap my head around the mindset that prefers a vacant commercial building (with limited re-purposing utility) over a residential development with storefronts that will bring people and economic opportunity to the local area. Especially when it's already a fairly built-up area (i.e., we're not paving anybody's Paradise here).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 3rd, 2015, 6:42 am

^Err, doesn't Excelsior & Grand have a CVS?
Since when? (I haven't been over there in about 4 years now)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 3rd, 2015, 6:45 am

About a year or so? There was a tex-mex restaurant, it is in that old space on the corner.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » April 3rd, 2015, 7:15 am

I was sad when Laredo's closed. I used to hang out in their bar area. That left only McCoy's.

Yea, I was surprised by the reaction on that Facebook page. It was all "no new condos! ". You would think they would be used to this type of development by now. Especially in such a busy area as Excelsior Blvd and this would be on the north side of the road not next to any single-family houses.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 3rd, 2015, 7:51 am

Laredo's was utterly terrible! Worst service I've had in a while.

I really wonder what the demographic is of those Facebook comments. I'd guess most of the negative comments come from SLP "lifers" who don't even live in Excelsior & Grand.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 3rd, 2015, 8:00 am

It confirmed the stereotype of older adults disliking change. Really, what else could go there that is more productive and fits the context of the neighborhood?

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » April 3rd, 2015, 10:48 am

A new restaurant opened up in the old Panera space. I walked in and checked out a menu. I would have preferred more of a cafe restaurant (Kim Bartman where ru?), but it is better than nothing i guess.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/blackstone-bist ... louis-park

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 3rd, 2015, 12:23 pm

Looks like there are several new businesses in the long vacant retail bays facing Excelsior. New Bank of America Branch, some gift store, a chinese restaurant etc. Good to see.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 8:12 pm

Saw that new photo posted on a SLP history-oriented Facebook page. Threw me for a loop seeing six stories. Everyone but me was complaining "... aaarrrrgh, MOAR apartments!!1!"
I don't think I'll ever manage to wrap my head around the mindset that prefers a vacant commercial building (with limited re-purposing utility) over a residential development with storefronts that will bring people and economic opportunity to the local area. Especially when it's already a fairly built-up area (i.e., we're not paving anybody's Paradise here).
I have to say that this is an area where density works very well. You have no SFH to worry about. It continue the canyon wall on that side of the road. With the current public parking decks they should not have to add anymore public parking for a one block development worth of retail. As I remember that site is on a hill so the parking can be tucked below excelsior level on the back side for residents. FT parking will go under the courtyard and the curb cut will be off Excelsior. This is a great use of this land, those against it have no clue what they are talking about. This is increased tax base at it's best!! There is already a 4 story build a few blocks away on the opposite side of the street. The apartments above TJ are 4 stories, as well as the apartment complexes on the corner of Excelsior and France. The Park Nicollet Clinic is at least 6 stories a few blocks in the other direction. This is only 1 stories taller than the current tall group of buildings along Excelsior. It helps keep that wall effect along that side of the street before it becomes a sea of asphalt to the west. Beware of short sited people ahead!

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » April 4th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Before counting on an increased tax base (per previous posted--sorry forgot to copy the exact comment) I would be interested to know if the deal is getting any TIF. I couldn't find anything about it, but maybe I am not doing a good enough job of looking.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 19th, 2015, 2:52 pm

After hitting up the Target/Byerly's combo to the north of here, I got down to Excelsior & Grand to really walk around & explore the area. I've been to the Trader Joe's via the parking lot, but never really got around the front (Excelsior) side on foot before. We walked around the whole development, which is surprisingly leased up. Some of those retail spaces on Grand Way (central plaza) back towards Wolfe Park are not what I'd call great locations, but they seemed to be filled up. For a Sunday just after noon, the "on-street" angled parking within the development was all pretty full. We had to make a couple loops before getting a space.

I still find it odd that Fresh Thyme is going to put a grocery store on the Bally's site. Between Target (though not a Super, has plenty of food), full-size Byerly's (which is big enough to get lost in), and Trader Joe's, this part of town is already a grocery Mecca.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 19th, 2015, 3:23 pm

That seems to be the way grocery stores exist -- in clusters. I agree though that the area is set on groceries in general, but perhaps Fresh Thyme addresses a specific niche that isn't currently being satiated.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 19th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Who wouldn't want to be part of the Excelsior Grocery Store District?

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 19th, 2015, 5:57 pm

That seems to be the way grocery stores exist -- in clusters. I agree though that the area is set on groceries in general, but perhaps Fresh Thyme addresses a specific niche that isn't currently being satiated.
Also seems to be heavy clustering of big box stores near (but generally just outside) the Minneapolis borders. Perhaps because of easier approvals, or somewhat larger parcels of land available.

These all come to mind: Cedar Point SuperTarget/Home Depot, Richfield Cub (technically inside Minneapolis, but at the Crosstown Commons), Southdale Super Target + Byerly's, Richfield Lunds, the aforementioned inner-SLP stores, and the clustering of big boxes at Brookdale.

Living in the first ring, I benefit somewhat from this distribution, but it does seem like the core of single-family residential Minneapolis ends up surprisingly far from good grocery options.

And on a somewhat different note, it is to SLP's praise that they're not just attracting big boxes looking to get close to Minneapolis, but also neighborhood-oriented "small boxes".

Sara Bergen

Re: St. Louis Park - General Topics

Postby Sara Bergen » April 23rd, 2015, 5:49 pm

Notice in the Sun Sailor today re proposed development at Excelsior and Monterey. My councilwoman says she is unaware of any additional info, but apparently an open house notice posted by Bridgewater Bank indicated there would be TIF funding involved. I have no problems with the proposed density, but am interested to hear how traffic is going to flow to/from the development. If the main entrance is on Monterey I sure hope some sort of traffic mitigation is planned as the Monterey/Trader Joe's intersection is already pretty dangerous.

City of St. Louis Park
(Official Publication)
NOTICE OF HEARING ON
AMENDMENT TO
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
FOR CITY OF ST. LOUIS PARK
4424 AND 4400 EXCELSIOR
BOULEVARD
3743 MONTEREY DRIVE
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Planning Commission of the City of St. Louis Park will meet at the City Hall (5005 Minnetonka Boulevard) on Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers to conduct a public hearing to consider an amendment to the Citys Comprehensive Plan. The amendment would change the Comprehensive Plan designation from COM-Commercial to MX-Mixed Use for property located at 4424 and 4400 Excelsior Boulevard and 3743 Monterey Drive. The proposed amendment would allow the applicant to request a rezoning of the properties.
If the proposed amendment is approved by the City Council, the applicant would propose the construction of a six-story mixed use building containing approximately 170 residential units, approximately 17,000 square feet of office and retail space and structured parking.
Auxiliary aids for persons with disabilities are available upon request. To make arrangements, please call 952/924-2575 at least 96 hours in advance of the meeting.
If you have questions, contact the COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT, 952/924-2575.
MELISSA KENNEDY
CITY CLERK
Published in the St. Louis Park Sailor: April 23, 2015

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 23rd, 2015, 6:06 pm

Nice find. I wonder how much of the parking lot behind/below is parking for this property. Maybe units would access from that? You're right that Monterey is hectic at Park Commons Drive, it could likely take a 4–3 road diet between Belt Line and Park Commons.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » April 23rd, 2015, 8:17 pm

Yea, there was a public showing on the 21st but I couldn't make it. Bridgewater will be the bottom floor tenant.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 23rd, 2015, 8:58 pm

Nice find. I wonder how much of the parking lot behind/below is parking for this property. Maybe units would access from that? You're right that Monterey is hectic at Park Commons Drive, it could likely take a 4–3 road diet between Belt Line and Park Commons.
Yes please. IMO, that whole little network could easily be pared down to 3/2 lanes -- Monterey, Beltline, and 36th. Perhaps a project for them to look at after the TH 100/Minnetonka Blvd project is complete.

If the cash were there, installing a planted median on Monterey between Beltline and Park Commons would be in line with all the park frontage, and greatly increase crossing potential.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 23rd, 2015, 9:08 pm

[sorry]

Run the Midtown Greenway streetcar past West Lake station and have it run down Excelsior to Highway 100. Could dig that streetcar.

[/sorry]

Hope this happens, I remember sitting at Excelsior and Grand as a teenager and imagining what that node would like fleshed out someday.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 23rd, 2015, 9:17 pm

Is Bridgwater going to be the *only* ground floor tenant? Seems like quite a few retail spaces being lost out to a single occupant. Ah well.