Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Twin Cities Suburbs
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Postby Tiller » March 24th, 2017, 11:34 am

They need to start filling in the Maplewood mall's parking lots with apartment buildings, but like 10-15 years ago.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 28th, 2017, 8:20 am

Pretty wild that 3 of 4 anchors at Maplewood are at risk of closing - Macy's, Sears and JCP. There's also a pretty big Barnes & Noble. I'd think if two anchors stay vacant for any period of time, many of the smaller stores will begin to bail as well. Maplewood is already smaller and has fewer "high end" stores that Rosedale and Southdale has been able to retain. It also lacks the attached movie theater and/or sit-down restaurants that the other malls have to drive traffic. I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance of Maplewood going "full Brookdale" in 5 years.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 28th, 2017, 3:59 pm

The immediate area around Maplewood has seen some improvements that give me hope for redevelopment to be attractive if the mall was to fail.

There is a new senior living that was built in the parking lot.
New Culver's and Chil-fil-a restaurants are being built now.
Old County Buffett was subdivided and is now a Golden Corrall and soon to be Aldi.
There is another medical building going up by St John's Hospital.
There is also a new apartment (or senior) building going up just north of the hospital.
I'm sure there are a few others.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » March 28th, 2017, 10:07 pm

I would hate to see this area completely implode as it's my old stomping ground, and still the mall I go to if need be. The smaller tenants in Maplewood Mall have already started to disappear at an alarming rate (mostly from nationwide closures). There is new development as @mamundsen said, including new outbuildings being built in the parking lot of Rainbow to the south on WBA. Unfortunately I think there's just too much retail space in this part of the east metro, with most of it now congregated in Woodbury. Even HealthEast is reconsolidating much of its uses in Woodbury (despite the new 80,000+ sq ft office building being built next to St John's). I'd love to see new apartments built inside the mall ring road, reduce that ring road from 4 lanes to 2 with bike lanes, and more sit-down restaurants and bars added to the outside of the mall. Finding someplace to go out for a drink in this area late at night is almost impossible.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 29th, 2017, 8:54 am

The whole "develop around your ring road" thing seems like an OK retrofit idea, but still far from ideal. If a mall is really going to die (and yes, that happens frequently) why not just blast a new main street through the site west from Lydia Ave alignment. Build traditional neighborhood, profit.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » November 9th, 2017, 9:27 am

Maplewood Mall will be adding an indoor inclusive playground next to the lower level entrance to Kohl's. That part of the mall has always been the deadest, and given the popularity of the tiny playground one level up I think it will be a nice draw.

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/ ... -next-fall

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 9th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Maplewood Mall will be adding an indoor inclusive playground next to the lower level entrance to Kohl's. That part of the mall has always been the deadest, and given the popularity of the tiny playground one level up I think it will be a nice draw.

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/ ... -next-fall
My daughter is going to love this! We live in WBL and make weekly trips to MM to ride the merry go round. I really hope some of the vacancies get filled and the mall stays relevant. I think there is a really good opportunity once/if/when Sears closes to redevelop the south end into housing. With planning for the Rush Line including a stop at the park and ride and the route 54 extension, MM should be able to pivot into a good node.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 26th, 2018, 2:59 pm

I took a spin through the Maplewood Mall this past weekend. Vacancies seem to be up slightly. Journeyz moved from a small space on the second floor to a larger space on the first. Teavana closed. The Hockey Lodge closed. The Calendar Store closed. DQ/Orange Julius closed. Hoff Jewelers is preparing to close.

A Sephora store is being constructed inside JC Penney.

Apparently a youth center will be opening in the mall. I am a bit confused by where the article states that the store will be, as the alterations store on the second floor is still there and doesn't appear to be even remotely in the process of packing up.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » February 26th, 2018, 3:22 pm

I was there just a few weeks ago, and most of those places were still open. It's sad to me to see the downward spiral. I hope there's enough political will and economic drive to do something better with this property when the time comes.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 27th, 2018, 7:57 am

When I was there a few weeks ago I was surprised to see the newly opened Admiral's next to the merry go round. That used to be just kiosk space, now it's a bar/restaurant?!?!? I hope they do well. Maplewood Mall is trying SO hard.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 1st, 2018, 12:01 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... es-in.html
Best Buy Co. Inc. is closing its 250 small-format Best Buy Mobile stores across the United States by the end of May.

There are nearly a dozen Best Buy Mobile stores in the Twin Cities.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » March 1st, 2018, 9:17 am

I always thought the Best Buy Mobile stores were a bit odd. There's one at Har Mar with a standard Best Buy a half-mile away in the strip mall north of Rosedale. I never really understood what the thought was there; I'd think most people looking for a phone would go the extra half-mile to the full-size Best Buy.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » March 7th, 2018, 10:13 am

When I was there a few weeks ago I was surprised to see the newly opened Admiral's next to the merry go round. That used to be just kiosk space, now it's a bar/restaurant?!?!? I hope they do well. Maplewood Mall is trying SO hard.
I forgot to mention that! I think that is a good addition, just sucks that so many of the stores have vacated in the past month. I do appreciate that Maplewood Mall is trying some different things. The biggest problem they face is that they are a "middle-market" mall, and those are being squeezed big-time.

Maplewood Mall has sure been in the news lately:
Maplewood Mall fights Ramsey County’s $3 million-plus property tax
Macy's first Minnesota outlet will be inside store at Maplewood Mall

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 7th, 2018, 10:39 am

While we are talking about Maplewood Mall.... I really really think that the area could benefit from a similar approach as Southdale.
1. There is a ton of retail surrounding the mall area.
2. There are under used parking lots (surprise)
3. The Maplewood transit center has express routes to both downtowns
4. The Rush Line will be stopping at the transit center too.

This all tells me that 2-3 apartment complexes could do great in the area!

Am I wrong? What else could be missing?

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » March 7th, 2018, 11:12 am

I totally agree. Condo sales have been strong in the area surrounding the mall. The parking lots are way too huge; I have never seen them full in all the decades I have been going to that mall.

Building housing around the perimeter would likely make the mall more attractive too. Heck, if Sears goes, some developer probably could get creative in attaching housing to the mall -- bringing it closer to Victor Gruen's vision. The old Days Inn was converted to Senior Housing last year, which is a good start.

I think bringing back some sort of indoor garden would also be a good idea to draw people in, particularly in the winter months when people crave greenery and sunlight.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 7th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Maplewood's days are numbered. It doesn't make sense to build around the edges of it. Start making plans to scrape it down to bare earth.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm

I have to agree. I also think Maplewood Mall is destined for full demolition and replacement, and cannot be saved by filling in the edges like we're seeing at Southdale and Ridgedale. It's too close to Rosedale, the immediate area lacks the right demographics to support any higher-end stores, and for the last decade+ has also seen its core market area erode as Woodbury gained more mall-like retail like Woodbury Lakes, which is basically 100% national chain stores found in malls. Also, no movie theater on site to draw people to the area for non-shopping trips. How long can mall ownership possibly swim against all of those currents? Once the anchors pull out, the Victoria Secrets and Gaps and Expresses and Claires will stop renewing leases.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » March 7th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Maplewood Mall is 9.5 miles from Rosedale, and over 11 miles from the retail core of Woodbury.

But Southdale is only 6.5 miles from MOA, and 11 miles from Ridgedale. And MOA is more than double the draw of Rosedale or Woodbury.

So proximity to another mall is certainly not the differentiating factor between Southdale and Maplewood.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 7th, 2018, 7:40 pm

I understand the comments about MM being on its last legs... if nothing is done. But if residential is added, would that help? I'm just imagining the whole area undergoing a massive shift from car focus to ped/bikes over the next ten years. It would be great to stich together the area.

Things in the immediate area that make me think the area can be great.

Transit Center with express to both DT and future Rush Line to WBL and DT StP, Hospital and surrounding medical buildings, Library, Myth, Aldi, concentrated retail and restaurants.

There are new apartment buildings going up along County Road D. Eventually they will start taking out parking lots.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 8th, 2018, 11:55 pm