Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby DanPatchToget » October 22nd, 2020, 5:29 pm

I would just like to point out that Amazon's distribution centers in Shakopee and (in the near future) in Lakeville are pretty close to existing rail lines that could have regional rail service. Just saying. [hint hint]

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 23rd, 2020, 7:15 am

I'm not sure where else something like this could go besides a suburb with a lot of open space left. Finding a site large enough with sufficient transportation access further in would be difficult, and besides, with the emphasis on converting industrial space to other uses, it's not like they're being encouraged to locate there either.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 23rd, 2020, 10:08 am

If Amazon is willing to foot the bill to have the rail stop at their doorstep, that'd be cool since they can afford it. Otherwise I think we'd be better off investing our transit dollars elsewhere.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 23rd, 2020, 10:44 am

Will Target be footing the bill for a stop on the Blue Line Extension? Will the companies in Minnetonka be footing the bill for the Opus and City West stations? Would be nice if they did but I highly doubt it.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » October 25th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Where else to you suggest besides Lakeville that has room for a 750,000 square foot distribution center with associated truck parking? The former Apple store in Uptown?
There have been different locations all over the place they've internally and externally talked about potentially building this warehouse, including Bloomington, Woodbury, Brooklyn Park, etc. Instead they stuck it out in Lakeville, probably hoping it will draw a more white/conservative workforce that's less likely to try and unionize.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 25th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Will Target be footing the bill for a stop on the Blue Line Extension? Will the companies in Minnetonka be footing the bill for the Opus and City West stations? Would be nice if they did but I highly doubt it.
Target definitely should be. Though I would say there is a significant difference between ending at an office park with lots of developable land for transit-oriented development, and an industrial warehouse park that's largely built out, especially when the industrial park would require an expensive and environmentally challenging river crossing to reach.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 25th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Target definitely should be. Though I would say there is a significant difference between ending at an office park with lots of developable land for transit-oriented development, and an industrial warehouse park that's largely built out, especially when the industrial park would require an expensive and environmentally challenging river crossing to reach.
Have you been to the area where this warehouse is being built? Because there's plenty of undeveloped land surrounding it, plus Downtown Lakeville is a mile away.

As for the river crossing, assuming you're referring to the Minnesota River, there's already a rail line and trestle across the river. It would definitely need to be replaced, but it wouldn't be like Highway 169, I-35W, Highway 77, etc. where they had to mow down forests and move massive amounts of dirt to build those gigantic river crossings.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » October 26th, 2020, 7:48 am

I can guarantee you there's no way this would have ever been built in Bloomington. The only vacant land in the city is in the South Loop, where the city would in no way allow it. They were reluctant to even allow Sick in until they made promised that it would be primarily their offices rather than manufacturing. Buying and clearing some existing industrial area is going to be a lot more expensive than some cornfield next to the freeway in the exurbs.

You recall that it was the backlash from area residents in Brooklyn Park that killed the project there, and I doubt the demographics of Woodbury are that much different from Lakeville.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 26th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Amazon will through the years replace these workers with robots. So unless robots are going to start commuting via rail let's put our transit dollars where people are.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 26th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Amazon will through the years replace these workers with robots. So unless robots are going to start commuting via rail let's put our transit dollars where people are.
No, people will be working with robots. Optimally in a harmonious way, but so far the results have been so-so. https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... an-workers

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 26th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Doesn't Amazon already run charter buses to their Shakopee distribution center for their employees? I imagine they'd do that for this one too if the need arose.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 26th, 2020, 2:00 pm

This 750,000 sq ft warehouse is for larger items that need special storage, like mattresses, grills, exercise equipment - that can be shipped in a 30-45 min radius. This is not to be confused with the 2 million secretive warehouse that people were speculating Amazon was looking to build in Brooklyn Park.

vanessaknows
Block E

Postby vanessaknows » April 15th, 2021, 11:36 am

No, people will be working with robots. Optimally in a harmonious way, but so far the results have been so-so. https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... an-workers
Here's the update: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/29/2234 ... -logistics
So the chances are that workers will be replaced. My vision is that even engineers will work remotely to control robots or fix them.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 16th, 2021, 9:51 am

Washington Post covering the demographic change in Brooklyn Center, but also other older suburbs experiencing the change of wealth leaving.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 16th, 2021, 10:38 am

Should we be concerned of a 2nd white flight happening?

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » April 16th, 2021, 11:54 am

Depends on where they're moving to. If the 2nd white flight will be another round of unchecked suburbanization or a few planners have somewhat learned from that mistake. And what the current suburbs will do when the wealth leaves.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 16th, 2021, 12:29 pm

In this market? If older white residents leave, younger ones will be chomping at the bit to buy their houses sight unseen.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » April 16th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I would say no, if only because I feel uncomfortable associating, an area’s prosperity with its level of whiteness.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 16th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Here's the update: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/29/2234 ... -logistics
So the chances are that workers will be replaced. My vision is that even engineers will work remotely to control robots or fix them.
The number of workers at Amazon that could be replaced with a robot like this is tiny. Most tasks at Amazon's largest warehouses (including here in MN) don't involve moving boxes like this.

Edit: also, you need technicians to physically be there to fix robots. If it has moving parts, someone has to physically be there that can troubleshoot and fix it. Even if it didn't have moving parts, you would also still need people there to fix them.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » April 17th, 2021, 2:29 pm

In this market? If older white residents leave, younger ones will be chomping at the bit to buy their houses sight unseen.
I would love to see the next generation come in and start building equity, but I fear they'll be competing against large property management companies.