Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby Mdcastle » December 4th, 2015, 7:05 am

Seems like Big Box stores need to experiment and find the size that works right for them. I like to shop at the Shakopee Walmart because it carries more stuff (there's one specific brand of hot dog I like), but it's a chore due to the size. The newer ones, like Burnsville they're building somewhat smaller. Similarly you don't see Best Buys the size of Richfield anymore.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 15th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Edina seeking people to sit on city commissions.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/12/13/app ... issions-2/

Of interest to these forums: Energy and Environment, Planning Commission, Transportation Commission. Among others.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 16th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Edina seeking people to sit on city commissions.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/12/13/app ... issions-2/

Of interest to these forums: Energy and Environment, Planning Commission, Transportation Commission. Among others.
Damn! If only we still lived there...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 18th, 2015, 10:33 am

So we're over 18 months past the closure of the St Anthony Walmart. Backstory: Walmart was an anchor of the faux-new-urbanist redevelopment of the old Apache Plaza deadmall back in 2004-2005. After less than a decade in operation, WalMart "expanded" itself over to Roseville leaving this big box vacant. There's also a noncompete clause for 3 years past the closure preventing any sort of lease to a business that overlaps with Walmart, which is definitely a sore spot for getting this space reused.

Anyone know if there's activity in that space, plans for the space, or what? At some point, seems like it would be good to build more housing there instead of a second-tier big box reuse.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 18th, 2015, 11:23 am

Additional interesting tidbits:
*The St. Anthony Walmart lasted just 9 years.
*Walmart does not own the property, but rather has a 20-year lease (2005-2025) from the developer/landowner (unusual for Walmart AFAIK)
*There was a restrictive covenant in place that Walmart not sell food due to Cub Foods being the other co-anchor of the development.
The above two factors wound up [img]directly[/img] leading to its closure, oddly enough.
Here's a site plan showing the available spaces: http://inlandrealestate.propertycapsule ... 3030#plans

Adding another layer to the story, the newer larger Walmart 2.5-miles away in Roseville was controversial in itself, since the "Twin Lakes" development area (near 35W & County Rd C) was never supposed to include a Walmart, but due to promised development never happening (due to the recession and other factors) the city eventually caved by a 3-2 vote to allow the new Walmart. I didn't follow it too closely, but I wonder how hard the City of St. Anthony lobbied the City of Roseville not to approve it? EDIT: Just read that Walmart kept the closing secret...I think publicly they maintained that they would keep the St. Anthony location open.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 19th, 2015, 9:05 pm

Some suburbs have had enough of auto-related businesses (and other classes of businesses deemed undesirable in high numbers). Place limits on more.

http://www.startribune.com/suburbs-temp ... 363041411/

So many layers to this. The "too many car shops" complaint is juicy, but first ring streetcar suburbs are filled with them, I'd argue over-filled. Hopkins, I believe, has more auto-dependent businesses than anything else. It is simply astounding when you look and count them. Back in the 90s I was told that nearly half of Hopkins' companies were auto-related, it seemed plausible.

Another note, how did the co-owner of Bobby and Steve's get away with not recusing himself from voting to restrict new auto servicing businesses in his city? Shady.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 24th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Citylab noticed Columbia Heights new ban on new auto-oriented businesses.

http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/12/a-m ... ty/421872/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 24th, 2015, 3:13 pm

I liked this comment,
More likely an attempt to keep minorities, immigrants and working class folk out.
I really don't get why whenever a city tries to ban something related to cars, they like to play a social class card. Don't they even think maybe it's possible that by making an area walkable there could be more affordable housing put in place? And more job opportunities?

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 24th, 2015, 3:44 pm

It's a pathetic attempt at righteousness.

jbraski
Block E

Postby jbraski » January 2nd, 2016, 11:47 pm

Twin Cities swim coach wants to bring Olympic pool in Coon Rapids
http://m.startribune.com/swim-coach-wan ... 364012221/
The entire project, which he wants to install at Hwy. 10 and Hanson Boulevard, would cost $10 million.
LONG time lurker here (years...but I have posted only a couple of times) that is just infatuated with following Minnesota development. I wasn't sure where to post this article, though. Being a former swimmer and current Minnesota Masters swimmer, this sounds pretty exciting. I am not a resident of the twin cities (currently live in Moorhead, MN)...thoughts on location? Feasibility of the project?

Hope you all have a Happy New Year! :D

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 3rd, 2016, 12:49 pm

That architectural rendering is... really... something.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 3rd, 2016, 12:59 pm

That architectural rendering is... really... something.
lol'd.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 3rd, 2016, 1:14 pm

Swimming centers usually aren't that impressive

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8564446 ... 312!8i6656

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 3rd, 2016, 2:22 pm

Just try and not make it look like a repurposed Kmart store.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 3rd, 2016, 2:54 pm

Swim schools must be the kind of repurpose trend that gets filled into older buildings that are hard up for tenants. Knollwood has had a Foss school for a few years.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 3rd, 2016, 5:35 pm

The Knollwood site was prefect as they took over the space where there had been a gym that had a pool. So that worked out great. They did not have to pay to have the pool put in. I think a swim place went into the old Bally's on University in St. Paul.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 13th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 13th, 2016, 4:02 pm

I'm sure opposition is rooted strictly in aesthetics, not fear of shifty renters. It's a charming neighborhood.

https://goo.gl/maps/7dgLCZQj8Lv

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 13th, 2016, 5:21 pm

From the street, it looks like all that you can see of the houses are their garages. Ugly design and oddly what I imagined Woodbury houses to look like.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 13th, 2016, 10:24 pm

God I hate the pioneer press on mobile. It took forever on the loading screen with the blinking dots... Never opened the article. So I tapped the banner to go to their main page. None of the articles will click.

I'm on iPhone 6, iOS 9. Their webpage should work. I know high school bands that have better mobile websites and they were created for free.