Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Twin Cities Suburbs
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Postby mnmike » October 16th, 2015, 9:07 am

I'd say it's much more urban than normal for the burbs...it includes a pedestrian plaza type thing at the corner, all the buildings are pushed out to the edges of the lot with interior parking, and it includes structured parking as well.

PS, It looks like they are getting ready to start this finally.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 16th, 2015, 1:06 pm

It's suburban with decoration

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » October 16th, 2015, 8:06 pm

It's suburban with decoration
Which is still better than nothing amirite?? ;-) It's 10 times better than an empty lot in an already developing area, especially if it fills a food desert gap with a small grocery. And as far as urban mixed use, the city has never stated it wanted the residential component of the South Loop to front 24th Ave, and with good reason. That stretch past MOA is the definition of Stroad, despite crosswalks and sidewalks, about as unfriendly to pedestrians as you can find in the Metro. Beyond this intersection on Lindau is where additional mixed use will go, snapping up the oceans of 1 story offices, warehouses, and parking lots. Hopefully. IndiGo and the new Hyatt were just the start. Again hopefully.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » November 7th, 2015, 10:59 am

I can see from my office that construction on the IndiGo apartment compound has reached the second floor of stick.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 11th, 2015, 2:11 pm

Took these on my way to work this morning.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » February 17th, 2016, 5:40 pm

I haven't remembered to take any pics while passing lately, but portions of IndiGo are on 5th and 6th floors now, windows are partially in on the eastern portion.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 18th, 2016, 10:09 am

Yes, it's amazing how much mass the building adds to the area now. I'm really loving how it feels at the corner. I really think this will be a big deal for the area. The need for a small grocery store in the immediate area becomes even more pressing with these nearly 400 apartments. I hope the leasing goes well and that Phase II on the southern half of the lot starts soon after the completion of Phase I.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 18th, 2016, 10:53 am

It's really nice to see buildings going up there again. When driving by it always looked awkward with that huge open area between the buildings.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 24th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Has anyone else seen the pictures for the Hyatt Regency? I'm loving the interior designs for it!
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ll-of.html

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 24th, 2016, 5:29 pm

So riding by here I saw an entire section of a building going up with no windows or wall openings of any kind. Is there a parking garage or something going in there? Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 24th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Depends, some of the super large developments in maple grove and Woodbury I've seen go up, go up with solid walls and then they cut the windows and such out of them. It looks really weird mid process.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 25th, 2016, 8:40 am

So riding by here I saw an entire section of a building going up with no windows or wall openings of any kind. Is there a parking garage or something going in there? Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
Correct, this center "U-shaped" area will be the multi level parking ramp. The building wraps around that area (hallways), with the units facing outward or in on one of the 3 mini courtyards. Once Phase II (mirrored building to the south) is completed, the parking will be mostly hidden. I think it's a really great design for this area.

Apartment Plans: https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/sites/def ... ents_1.pdf
Last edited by HiawathaGuy on February 25th, 2016, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 25th, 2016, 8:42 am

View from the train, looking north (featuring the above-mentioned open area for the parking ramp to be built).

View from the southbound platform at American Blvd, looking west.

Looking SW from American Blvd & 34th Ave S intersection.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » February 25th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Beat me to the punch on those pics, looks good, and I think fairly represents the massing and presence by the street.

at40man
Rice Park

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby at40man » March 24th, 2016, 10:19 am

I wasn't sure where to put this exactly, but since it is slated to be Mall property, it is worth mentioning that the Thunderbird Hotel will be razed this year: http://www.fox9.com/news/112867805-story

James Lileks did a good job documenting this hotel: http://www.lileks.com/mpls/modern/thunderbird/

I took a stroll through sometime last year. A lot of the kitsch had been stripped out, but it still was definitely present!

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » March 29th, 2016, 6:09 pm

http://www.startribune.com/deal-in-bloo ... 373919041/
said Schane Rudlang, Port Authority Administrator. “We want a development that is as dense as possible on that site … to transform the South Loop area from suburban to urban.”
Through this Port Authority acquisition, about two of the site’s 12 acres will be given to the City of Bloomington for a planned entrance and exit to 494 before selling the property to Triple Five, according to the agreement documents.
huh?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 30th, 2016, 7:48 am

Through this Port Authority acquisition, about two of the site’s 12 acres will be given to the City of Bloomington for a planned entrance and exit to 494 before selling the property to Triple Five, according to the agreement documents.
huh?
Echo that. I can't see any way to add even "just a slip ramp on and off" with the complicated ramps for both 77 and 24th Ave already taking up plenty of room. And speaking of 77 and 24th, in what world is another access point between those two necessary?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 30th, 2016, 1:53 pm

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 30th, 2016, 2:34 pm

That's certainly access to 494, but it's not at all access from 494. It also means that for people coming NB on 77, they have to remember to exit way back under 86th Street, as there will be physical separation from the ramp that extends from the lane split at Killebrew. I question the utility of these ramps. Maybe if they built an underpass to Richfield, all would be better /s
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 30th, 2016, 3:10 pm

I also question the utility of the ramps, including the ramp TO 494 eastbound... Right now, a motorist from this site could take a left at the American Blvd or Thunderbird signal onto northbound 28th Ave, and immediately take a Bloomington Right onto eastbound 494.