Nick
Capella Tower

Minnesota Zoo - Apple Valley

Postby Nick » March 31st, 2013, 11:57 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/ ... page=1&c=y
Minnesota Zoo plans ambitious, costly makeover

Article by: DAVID PETERSON , Star Tribune
Updated: March 30, 2013 - 11:07 PM

The Minnesota Zoo is quietly preparing to launch a massive expansion campaign costing hundreds of millions of dollars, continuing the zoo’s shift from its original focus on conservation and education toward a future as a family entertainment destination.

The master plan approved by the zoo’s governing board late last year calls for a sprawling new Africa trail with lions, giraffes and hippos, as well as a high-end events center overlooking a domed orangutan forest. It would be phased in over the course of years as funding becomes available, with the first phase costing an estimated $50 million.

The plans, some of them still not sharply defined, also include features and activities ranging from camel rides to elevated zip lines to a high-end destination restaurant.

[...]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Minnesota Zoo - Apple Valley

Postby Minneboy » March 31st, 2013, 5:45 pm

I like what they are trying to do. Great interactive map with multiple renderings of each project.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 31st, 2013, 6:50 pm

I am not thrilled that they explicitly state that they are moving away from the mission of education and conservation to basically a theme park. Maybe that is what people expect from zoos now, but it is still kind of sad.

Also, sounds like the monorail is not long for this world...
My flickr photos.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 31st, 2013, 7:41 pm

No, they're building a new banquet center to rent for weddings.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » March 31st, 2013, 9:59 pm

How much money just to add giraffes, lions, and hippos? I can see giraffes and lions free at Como (though they do look half dead). Want to impress me? Get a flipping elephant. Hippos would be cool, but only if I can see them from underwater. Otherwise, I don't care about campsites, corporate party suites, or event facilities. Costs too much for what we're getting.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 1st, 2013, 6:56 am

This better be a tower. Supertall, preferably.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 1st, 2013, 10:56 am

We used to be members but a couple of years ago we got rid of our membership because, quite frankly, my kids got bored there. It's nice to see them switch things up a bit. It's also nice to hear that they are talking about doing this in stages. I'd rather have that than a massive change, then nothing gets touched for a decade or more. I'll be sad to see the monorail go though, I liked the break from all the walking.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 1st, 2013, 3:56 pm

I gave up on the "New Zoo" back in 1992 because it was too boring (and expensive), and is sounds like nothing has changed. I want to see Lions and Tigers and Bears (and Giraffes), etc, not the same animal that was raiding my garbage cans last night that may or may not be hiding somewhere way in the back of the habitat. Even Como is more exciting, and it's free.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » April 1st, 2013, 5:13 pm

So you haven't been to the zoo in 22 years and lament the raccoon exhibit on the Northern Trail as a reason why? :roll:

You'd rather go to Como and see 12 animals in exhibits the size of your garage? That's fun to you.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 14th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Curious to find out how someone would buy one of the old abandoned monorail cars...

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 14th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Curious to find out how someone would buy one of the old abandoned monorail cars...
Offer them a dollar and say you'll pay to haul it away. I understand that when they tried to sell them they only were able to get rid of one and the rest have been sitting somewhere in storage.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 14th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Wouldn't that be the coolest remote cabin pod?