610 Corridor - Brooklyn Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
a_tribe_called_chris
Metrodome

Re: 610 Corridor - Brooklyn Park

Postby a_tribe_called_chris » December 17th, 2014, 5:58 pm

http://post.mnsun.com/2014/12/a-housing ... s-for-610/

New development being proposed that would add some density.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 17th, 2014, 7:40 pm

http://post.mnsun.com/2014/12/a-housing ... s-for-610/

New development being proposed that would add some density.
It sounds like he wants the city to subsidize cheaper rents so he can build them and make a profit. Those workers at Target will have the funds to pay full price if that is the living style that they want. I can't see subsidizing housing for top end apartments.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 17th, 2015, 10:14 pm

485 units of market rate apartments, across from the Target Campus, filling in an 11 acre plot.

http://post.mnsun.com/2015/02/610-west- ... -by-april/

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 18th, 2015, 8:03 am

Those will be popular. Just a short walk to Target campus, the LRT, a grocery, a gym, coffee shops, restaurants, daycare etc.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 18th, 2015, 8:48 am

More info here

If this is truly where Bottineau LRT will end, this is at least a reasonable win.. But man, $8m in city TIF + tax abatement?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 18th, 2015, 9:00 am

Yeah, that seems like a lot of subsidy. I think I understand why Brooklyn Park is willing to do it though.

1. Rentals are not politically popular in BP, due to negative stigma of all of their existing low-income/older rental housing in the southern part of the city.

2. The only way BP can politically sell "moar rentals" to their constituents is if they are top of the line "luxury" units.

3. Top of the market "luxury" units will not command enough rent in BP to pay for themselves, with today's extremely high construction costs (i.e. despite the ability of many Target North employees to pay top rents individually, the northburban market itself cannot command Downtown/Uptown rent levels)

4. Subsidy is necessary to make up that rent gap, or the units don't get built at all. So yes, the city is going to subsidize rent on 485 "market rate" apartments, probably most of which will be occupied by folks with college degrees making pretty decent income and not personally needing the subsidy. All while simultaneously refusing to build any more actual affordable housing for the working poor. (See BP/BC lawsuit against the Met Council)

EDIT: An economic development professional confirmed for me that it is more so #3 and #4 which is driving the subsidy, and it's not at all uncommon. Excelsior & Grand, West End, and a lot of other redevelopment projects that we tend to look upon favorably have indeed received lots of subsidy to make them financially feasible. I think maybe the Brooklyn Park one is unusual in that it doesn't include any affordable units, at least not as reported. Most of these 1st-ring burb projects that receive TIF or cleanup funds do typically include up to 20% affordable units to "justify" the public expenditure. In BP though, that would probably kill this project politically (see #1 and 2)

a_tribe_called_chris
Metrodome

Postby a_tribe_called_chris » March 12th, 2015, 12:46 pm

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2015 ... omplex.php

I like some of the other insight on this thread. I would agree that the points above are exactly why this project is being subsidized. As a resident, I have been voicing support to the council for a focus on more New Urbanism and higher density especially close to the LRT line. With that said, BP has a significant amount of affordable housing already available so the push towards higher end units makes sense. This portion of the city, which is where I now live after living near Brooklyn Center for about 8 years after arriving in Minnesota offers many newer and upscale single family homes and townhomes. Essentially, one can get a Maple Grove quality home for 100k less since BP has this “stigma” as ghetto. I am sure the resistance towards more “affordable” units and the Met Council lawsuit is that they are placing a much higher quota of that housing into BP and BC when our cities are already doing more than other peers throughout the metro and residents are being taxed at higher rates to make up for it. The results of current policies, whether intentional or not, have concentrated poverty and diversity in the urban core and first suburban ring of communities. Given the level of disparity and inequity currently found here we need to push back and find better solutions.

I personally love BP due to its diversity and relative affordability and decent transit access for downtown commutes. Our family is multi-racial and being the 2nd most diverse city in Minnesota is awesome and makes BP the best place in MN for us. We have a number of ethnic markets to choose from offering great cultural diversity and experiences. I will even add that our family is doing great financially but the gaps other families face in our state are a concern.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby acs » March 30th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Yay more sprawl for 610. I love how opus even decided to throw in the worthless buzzwords "mixed use" and "vibrant". Isn't this going to be a fantastic endpoint for the blue line :lol:?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... mixed.html

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 30th, 2015, 2:32 pm

This isn't the endpoint for the blue line. This is further east of that spot. This is suburban infill... Currently it is a blank field.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 30th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Maybe move this to the 610 corridor thread?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 3rd, 2015, 9:50 am

With all the businesses and development moving to this area over the past year, 610 has to be one of the stupidest and most sprawl-inducing projects since 212. Maybe even worse. It's going to get even worse I think as it continues westward as there is even more undeveloped land in that area. Since I was away at college when this happened, who the hell pushed for this and thought it was a good idea? Are they fired yet and why the heck do we keep expanding this westward when we're broke trying to repair what we already have?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 3rd, 2015, 2:31 pm

I think it looks kinda neat. Though that Zane freeway crossing looks awful for walkability! Noteveryone want to live in a walkable community, but it does seem rather bike able. Also I read somewhere Hy-Vee is building a store here as well, also I wonder if they would fit a gas station in the west bond exit ramp :lol: ...well I know they COULD fit one it's so huge of a space but it would be kinda nice to see the space being used beyond just drainage. Hope they focus for walkability on Hampshire Ave though as that could be a great walkable route across 610 for the community.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 17th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Meijer bought 30 acres northeast of 610 and Zane.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -park.html

Likely the first Meijer in Minnesota, right?

Anondson
IDS Center

610 Corridor - Brooklyn Park

Postby Anondson » April 1st, 2016, 6:43 pm

Brooklyn Park's EDA will buy a parcel of land MNDOT bought for the 610 construction, then sell to developer of adjacent office/manufacturing development right next door.

http://post.mnsun.com/2016/03/28/brookl ... developer/

Expect the parcel will develop the same as the adjacent property United developed to the east.