36 Park Apartments - St. Louis Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 36 Park Apartments - St. Louis Park

Postby mamundsen » March 5th, 2013, 11:06 am

Just realized you said you don't think Google is updated. I disagree (which is why I posted the link to Google Maps) it looks like all streets are on the satellite images.

Why do you think the street grid should be filled in? I don't understand that obsession on these boards.

Projects along 36th St are:
-36 Park Apartments @ 36th & Park Center Blvd
-Towerlight senior @ 36th & Woodale Ave
- Hoigaard Village @ 35 1/2 & Webster

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 5th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Why do you think the street grid should be filled in? I don't understand that obsession on these boards.
Obviously, because it's fun to make photoshopped google maps...

In this area, I think you'd be much better off connecting up the pedestrian network a bit more and not worrying so much about the streets.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 7th, 2013, 8:13 am

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/02/28/sp ... -of-roads/

^This is why a connected street grid is important.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 7th, 2013, 8:58 am

I haven't looked at any plat maps in the area, so it may be that there are still some undeveloped ROW's in the area. I could envision getting Raleigh Avenue extended through the site, for example. But I guess I don't see the SLP going all eminent domain on people to extend some new streets through the superblock, even if it might be a nice thing. I could envision them acquiring some walking path easements, though, building off an a fairly extensive existing network.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 7th, 2013, 11:22 am

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/02/28/sp ... -of-roads/

^This is why a connected street grid is important.
That is a bit of an extreme example...and obvioulsy doesn't really apply in this area...which is what the poster that posed the question was referring to. I do agree that the street grid should be reconnected in redevlopment areas when possible though!

That said, that link is pretty amusing. I am guessing the product of allowing private developers decide on street layouts on the land they purchase maybe? When I occasionally stay in a suburban area hotel on a road trip or something, I always find it irritating that you can't take a decent walk, because all of the developments are seperate! This just happened to me in Agoura Hills, CA. I had to walk in and out of 3 developments off a busy street to get a decent 45 minute walk in.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 3rd, 2013, 6:55 pm

With all the new apartments here along 36th St., it would be great to see air rights development over Hwy 100 on both sides of 36th. This would help connect the neighborhood with a human-scale form.

MSPhusker
Block E

Postby MSPhusker » November 26th, 2013, 10:49 am

Just went though the building. It's nice inside except they went cheap on the cabinets and flooring. Definitely not enough underground parking. There is only one spot per apartment with a few extras to rent out, but those are almost gone. Sounds like residents with two cars will have to start parking at Target across the street or on the side streets across 36th. Not very good planning if you ask me.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 26th, 2013, 11:15 am

As it turns out, underground parking is VERY expensive.

MSPhusker
Block E

Postby MSPhusker » November 26th, 2013, 11:28 am

It is expensive, but regardless of how you look at it, there will not be enough resident parking (surface or underground) once they get to a higher occupancy. Asking people who are paying $1300 for a one bedroom apartment to park their car in a Target parking lot or across a busy street is silly.

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » November 26th, 2013, 2:32 pm

It's also within walking distance of the proposed southwest corridor LRT.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 26th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Sounds like residents with two cars will have to start parking at Target across the street or on the side streets across 36th. Not very good planning if you ask me.
Sounds like the poor planning was done by residents with two cars. And/or the building management is not making it clear to residents that only one space is allotted per unit when they are signing the lease. Kudos to St. Louis Park and the developer for planning for future parking demands (i.e. 5 years from now when SWLRT & add'l transit options are available) rather than only considering present-day demands.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 26th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Agreed. If people want to spend more money to store more cars, they have plenty of options in this very neighborhood. That's how the market works. And why the market is the perfect way to allocate an expensive and scarce resource; square footage devoted to car storage.

MSPhusker
Block E

Postby MSPhusker » November 26th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Sounds like residents with two cars will have to start parking at Target across the street or on the side streets across 36th. Not very good planning if you ask me.
Sounds like the poor planning was done by residents with two cars. And/or the building management is not making it clear to residents that only one space is allotted per unit when they are signing the lease. Kudos to St. Louis Park and the developer for planning for future parking demands (i.e. 5 years from now when SWLRT & add'l transit options are available) rather than only considering present-day demands.
Oh they make it clear, but they shoot themselves in the foot by not being able to accommodate couples and families who need two cars. Yea the light rail is proposed, but it's still five years away at least. Poor planning on the apartment's part if you ask me. Throw millions of dollars into a brand new building, but neglect parking needs in an area that has poor mass transit and will have poor mass transit for years to come? They may be thinking long term for this area, but considering how poor occupancy is, they may not be around for the long term.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 26th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Debbie downer. Geez, I'm pretty sure it's too late to add 3 more levels of underground parking. Maybe you should go build a ramp next door.

MSPhusker
Block E

Postby MSPhusker » November 26th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Just pointing out what I see as bad decision making and foresight.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 26th, 2013, 10:19 pm

You have a point, but so do the other posters. People in this forum are going to be pro-transit or walking over cars almost every time. Our family of four (two small children) has one car and I take transit daily and it works fine for us (and I'm not just saying that to prove a point....it literally is ideal, for now), so we could comfortably live in the 2BR+ apartment for $1,300 with one garage space. The family with 2 (or more) cars wanting to live at Park 36 is going to be inconvenienced though, as it's not designed to be a place for the family looking for the 1950's version of the American Dream: a yard with a white picket fence and a two-car garage.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2013, 8:18 am

Part of going deeper in that area is a high water table. I'm sure it would have cost them a fortune to try and keep another level down dry. Ask the guys at 1800 Lake about a high water table! I'll agree with most here in that anyone with two cars will look else where to live. There will be enough demand for single car couples or singles to keep it full. You really need a two car garage you can rent a townhouse or buy a house! Problem solved easily.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2013, 9:10 am

You really need a two car garage you can rent a townhouse or buy a house! Problem solved easily.
Well, not if you can't afford to rent a townhouse or buy a house. The easiest solution (and most obvious to us urbanists, not to regular folks) would be to choose a location that is walkable/transitable from one person's job. The other person can drive to work and you still have a car for running errands and weekend trips. The mistake that this hypothetical couple are making is choosing a place to live where both of them need to drive to work. That situation is easily preventable.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 27th, 2013, 10:09 am

The mistake that this hypothetical couple are making is choosing a place to live where both of them need to drive to work. That situation is easily preventable.
And in theory, this is the right answer, but in the real world, it's easier said than done, because jobs unfortunately aren't as dependable as they used to be, and because the areas with high transit service are unfortunately limited, and because there are other factors (proximity to family, amenities, etc.) that often play a role in these decisions.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 27th, 2013, 12:32 pm

From my experience I'd say this location is more doable for a one-car family than many suburbanites might think. I've lived in St Louis Park without a car and it wasn't too bad, the density and mix of uses is good, and while St Louis Park has a ways to go on bike/ped infrastructure, it's mostly doable, if not very pleasant.

I lived closer to the 17 than 36 Park is, but the express buses serve the Park Nicollet area pretty well, and the 12 has decent frequency on weekends. There is even a bus to Ridgedale that might come in handy every once in a while, though it needs better frequency and less serpentine routing to become a compelling reason to replace a car trip. Of course the area has enough retail for daily needs in walking distance, though St Louis Park in general needs to improve their streetscapes to make walking a more appealing option.

The only caveat would be that one of the adults would have to work downtown, within walking distance (some 15k jobs), or from home (or not at all haha). Obviously that's not going to work for most people, but I think there are enough people that it will work for that the parking ration is reasonable.
"Who rescued whom!"