Wooddale Station Area / PLACE - St. Louis Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: PLACE Proposal (ex McGarvey Coffee site) - St. Louis Par

Postby David Greene » May 17th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Didn't know about? Hell, I grew up in Hopkins in the '70's and '80's and there were PENTY of East Asians then. And Latinos. Somalis are obviously more recent arrivals but how could anyone NOT know we have a large Somali population spread throughout the metro?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 17th, 2015, 4:32 pm

I'm guessing of course, but maybe they thought the concentrations were in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and NW first ring suburbs. There are cricket games going on in the parks all the time. But the pointed out that the hotels that get built, nearly all, happen because a hotel developer sees the value being there. These developer reps were all residential and commercial, not hotel developers.

In the PLACE post, they mention they will have to go look for a hotel developer partner, and it may not happen if they don't find one who thinks it makes sense. It all comes down to convincing the money guys.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 1st, 2015, 7:30 pm

PLACE today blogged about parking regulations today would require 900+ parking spaces for their proposal here. Plus what they are going to do instead of build all that parking asked of by 1960s assumptions.

http://tmblr.co/ZcWO5s1mDcpZo

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 2nd, 2015, 4:18 pm

PLACE today blogged about parking regulations today would require 900+ parking spaces for their proposal here. Plus what they are going to do instead of build all that parking asked of by 1960s assumptions.

http://tmblr.co/ZcWO5s1mDcpZo
Sorry for the link...the "board attachment quota has been reached."

https://imgflip.com/i/mcvjp

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 2nd, 2015, 4:27 pm

However PLACE is getting this done, I want this development franchised up and down our LRT lines.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 26th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Councilwoman Sue Sanger says the PLACE proposal of having 60% of the units be affordable is too much.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2015/06/26/st-l ... ng-debate/

Ah, Sue ... The idea that because there is a lot of low price housing around the Aquila elementary school doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get units of affordable housing anywhere else in the city. I mean, it's like she's trying to be contrary sometimes.

Anondson
IDS Center

PLACE Proposal (ex McGarvey Coffee site) - St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » June 27th, 2015, 11:28 am

PLACE tweeted that they learned the Met Council runs a large regional sewer pipe through the property, meaning that pipe must not be covered.

https://twitter.com/PLACEteam/status/614558515001192448
Our St. Louis Park project design squeezed by large interceptor under the surface.
#design #infrastructure #StLP #SaveTheWaste"

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 31st, 2015, 6:35 pm

6 pm August 13th, at Fire Station 1 on Wooddale Ave, PLACE is going to discuss the proposal.
@stlouispark community:
Join PLACE 6pm Aug 13 at Fire Station 1 (3750 Wooddale) to discuss this exciting project!
https://twitter.com/PLACEteam/status/627165598414286848

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 20th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Sue Sanger objects to the project offering too much affordable housing. Yup.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2015/08/20/plac ... ouis-park/

60% of the units are to be offered to meet the Met Council definition of affordable, that is $40–$60,000 for family income. Sue's arguments against it ... really are bordering on being offensive, as well as self-defeating the entire concept of TOD along the proposed LRT. Other council members were vigorous in arguing against Sue's points.

Related. I was at the public meeting PLACE held. There hasn't really been any design work, they are still gathering funding for all aspects of the project. One person I spoke with said PLACE didn't need the Xenwood underpass in order to get the project going. During the presentation by one of PLACE's leads, he promoted this project actively seeking people desiring a car-free lifestyle. Live-work arrangements for artists and creatives.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 17th, 2015, 11:28 pm

PLACE has now had its third open house. They're making repeated outreaching to neighbors and the creatives community (artisans, musicians, makers, etc.) to get feedback.

Anything can happen but if I recall correctly, plans hope to start late next year and get finished in 10 months.

The E-Generation anaerobic digester power generator is still in the plans, this might be the first in Minnesota.

There are also plans to bring a mechanized car storage structure for residents. Drive into a bay and a "robot" takes the car and places it into a rack. In a space-restricted site this saves space.

This was the first time a potential site plan was shown. I didn't see any handout and I didn't take a photo of the slide but it looks like they're planning about four buildings. One eight story hotel. Another five-six story live-work building with walk up store fronts. A 14 story residence. And last another five-six story live-work building, this with the robotic car storage and e-generation. The two live-work buildings look like they are going to have rooftop green houses. All of the buildings are putting their face towards the bike trail.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 17th, 2015, 11:34 pm

Are there any more open houses coming up? I'd like to learn more about the E-Generation.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 18th, 2015, 12:04 am

I would think so based on the what I've been hearing. Chris from PLACE has said their practice is to meet over and over with the neighbors and stakeholders before final drawings are made to get details right, rather than have it all drawn and present to a city a practically final offering where little chance feedback changes much.

Check their website for a bit more on E-Generation, they say they have a patent on some part of the process at the same time they've said some implementations of the general anaerobic power generation is in production right now around the world. Their technical expert at the open house gave an example that a hospital in England is using one.

http://www.welcometoplace.org/

They are on Twitter and Facebook. I bet if you contact them they'd get you more info before their next open house. They also have a forum on Podio they've invited attendees and those interested in this project to comment, discuss, and ask questions.

A neat tidbit about the E-Generation power, it sounded like it would produce enough power that nearly all electric power needs, and greenhouse winter heat, would be powered on site. Nearly all, sounded like average energy bill would be about $18 a month. <- not a typo.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 30th, 2015, 4:41 pm

PLACE posted the preferred layout of the site to their Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/PLACEinc/photos/ ... ef=m_notif

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 9th, 2015, 6:51 pm

PLACE was granted a full $2M grant from the Met Council for TOD.

http://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Com ... ng-to.aspx

For stormwater, site acquisition, and the alternative energy.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 9th, 2015, 10:57 pm

This project seems so cool and interesting that I'm almost certain it won't get built.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » December 10th, 2015, 8:20 am

This project seems so cool and interesting that I'm almost certain it won't get built.
More people handing them free money, the better the chances that it actually goes forward though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 10th, 2015, 8:30 am

They are also a not-for-profit and take donations, too. ;)

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » December 10th, 2015, 9:42 am

They are also a not-for-profit and take donations, too. ;)
In my head, my comment looked like an indictment - it wasn't. Everything about this proposal and organization looks great. I'm trying not to be pessimistic because the whole thing looks too good to be true. My faith in Met Council is not high right now but I'm hoping that they properly vetted this organization; I'd love to say that a $2M "bet" is a great indicator but Met Council doesn't seem to make great monetary decisions.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 10th, 2015, 10:48 am

The "too good to be true" has been my reaction all along. With it in my backyard I've been following this every step like a hawk. I've been impressed if it hasn't been obvious.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 10th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Does anyone know how the grant process works, and whether an entity that requests a TOD, LIHTC, clean up, or other grant has to commit to something in order to receive it?