Onstreet parking, firelanes, and suburbia

Twin Cities Suburbs
pannierpacker
Metrodome

Onstreet parking, firelanes, and suburbia

Postby pannierpacker » October 9th, 2014, 6:50 pm

I've noticed that most suburban retail comes in the form of large strip mall or big box developments that lack curbside parking to the building. I know some suburbs are creating urban nodes where private streets contain parking bays adjacent to buildings (ex: Arbor Lakes). However, in cases where there are parking lots and drive aisles, I have yet to see a single development that has curbside parking adjacent to the building. Can anyone think of any examples to counter this?

In my opinion, this really hurts suburban style retail and gives urban developments a huge advantage. Are there any state statutes that prevent a suburban development and city from creating a parking lot with wide enough drive aisles to allow for parking adjacent to the building?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Onstreet parking, firelanes, and suburbia

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2014, 10:08 pm

'No Parking, Fire Lane'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 10th, 2014, 7:04 am

I can think of many strip malls and suburban retail (lots of restaurants) that have parking stalls that face the curb right at the front door of the store.

An example that I frequent often is the extra retail around Rosedale. Most of the restaurants to the west along the frontage road have curb parking right up to the building. Then there is the Verizon Wireless, Quiznos, and UPS cluster with curb parking. Another example is most Walgreens and CVS have parking right up to the door...

I'm confused by this post.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 10th, 2014, 7:32 am

I've noticed that most suburban retail comes in the form of large strip mall or big box developments that lack curbside parking to the building. I know some suburbs are creating urban nodes where private streets contain parking bays adjacent to buildings (ex: Arbor Lakes). However, in cases where there are parking lots and drive aisles, I have yet to see a single development that has curbside parking adjacent to the building. Can anyone think of any examples to counter this?

In my opinion, this really hurts suburban style retail and gives urban developments a huge advantage. Are there any state statutes that prevent a suburban development and city from creating a parking lot with wide enough drive aisles to allow for parking adjacent to the building?
Yes, though it's not in the Twin Cities:

http://allthingsretaildevelopment.blogs ... egacy.html

I can't tell if this is what you mean......at Legacy Village in Beachwood, OH there are parking lots surrounding the mall AND there are curbside parking options adjacent to the buildings within the lifestyle center's streetscape. It's a neat combination of both, I think, but I can't tell if that's what you meant.

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » October 14th, 2014, 3:26 pm

mamundsen,
I mean curbside parallel parking. Does that make things more clear?