Minnetonka Area – General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Minnetonka Area – General Topics

Postby Anondson » January 29th, 2019, 4:51 pm

103 unit apartment proposed near 7 and Williston.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... tonka.html

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 29th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Probably not worth the money to do it, but it seems like it would make a lot of sense to shift the service road to the south of these properties. Would improve some unsafe geometries and potentially free up some land for redevelopment.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 29th, 2019, 5:25 pm

I was honestly thinking the same thing.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 20th, 2019, 8:36 pm

The Ridgedale area will get a parking lot converted into a park.

http://www.startribune.com/minnetonka-i ... 507442452/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 21st, 2019, 9:05 am

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 21st, 2019, 9:15 am

I dunno. The first, urban, park is between a road with a lot of traffic, an apartment complex (is there retail/restaurant on the first floor?), and parking lots. A very sad place to gather. Maybe if the idea is to build up around the north & east sides of the park with places to eat & shop it could be better.

The second, nature, park seems great except, again, for its location. Wilderness areas next to interstate highways never seem all that great to me. Maybe not too bad on a weekend morning, but otherwise very noisy.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

Any plans for a proper transit station at Ridgedale, or will buses stay on the same routing after all of this is done?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 1st, 2019, 7:14 pm

Doran’s proposal near Ridgedale, northeast of 394 and Ridgedale Dr., had been downsized by city demands but is getting city TIF of $4.8M in return for affordable housing guarantees for 30 years.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/04/do ... 8m-in-tif/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Launch Properties soon to reveal plans for a 16 acre redevelopment adjacent to the SWLRT Opus station. I hope there’s a bit more cleaning up the road network’s confusion inducing one way system.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -acre.html

I wonder what is making the Opus station area such a magnet for these redevelopments while the Shady Oak Station area is basically ignored.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » May 15th, 2019, 6:42 pm

I have doubts that the road network is gonna be changed anytime soon. But adding some sidewalks and maybe touching up the trail system might work out well.
As for why Opus is attracting more attention than Shady Oak, only thing I can think of is its kinda straddling the Minnetonka/Hopkins boarder so that might be affecting it plus I could be wrong but from a brief search There doesn't seem to be a lot of opposition for developments in that particular area, or at least compared to other parts in Minnetonka

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 15th, 2019, 7:10 pm

My thought is that we just can’t dismiss that Opus II has quite great highway access. Shady Oak is comparably distant.

pjknight01
Block E

Postby pjknight01 » May 16th, 2019, 11:28 am

Presentation for the Opus project, interesting that some options include mid-rise (15 story) buildings.

https://eminnetonka.com/images/projects ... _FINAL.pdf

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » May 16th, 2019, 12:14 pm

From looking at all three schemes, here's what I noticed:
They seem to be intending to make Red Cir Dr. a two way street which makes me retract my previous statement about having doubts that the road network is gonna be changed a little.

their kinda appear to be bumping right next to a already established residential area, so I'm gonna place 5 bucks down on a "few" complaints about the project sometime in the next few months (iirc those are townhouses but I'm not sure that will change anything)

There is a school in the Hopkins school district is in that area and based on the renderings it seems like there going to have to move it somewhere else (went there for one year in the 4th grade when it first opened but that was back when it was on excelsior blvd)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 16th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Things noticed.

I like scenarios 2 and 3 the most not because of the mid-rise 14 story buildings in each, but because they both around a long linear public space that extends off the existing pond, also extending the public trail through the space instead of around it like in scenario 1.

Scenario 2 and 3 have office space, though wonder about demand. Maybe being LRT-near is attractive enough.

Scenario 1 has the most amount of housing. 3 separate residential buildings with 260 a piece. 780 units total. plus a 4 story hotel (125 keys) and a commercial district. No office space.

Scenario 2 and 3 seem more or less variations of each other, except for the total amount of housing and a little bit bigger commercial district. Each have a 14 story with 260 units.
Scenario 2 has two buildings with 175 units each (260 + 175 + 175 = 710 total housing units). And a 6 story 185 key hotel
Scenario 3 has only one building with 175 (260 + 175 = 435 total housing units). And the 6 story 185 key hotel.

I like scenario 2 the most.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 11th, 2019, 6:02 pm

A design change to the 10400 Bren Rd E proposal.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/06/th ... i-housing/

A more explicit division of below-market rate and market rate buildings.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 28th, 2019, 6:57 am

I understand sometimes they “have to” do this because of financing restrictions, but it sure does feel ghetto-y.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 11th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Another look at new apartments in the Glen Lake District.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/07/ro ... a-rentals/

Glen Lake is getting a fine amount of apartments. I saw in the near future Minnetonka is planning bike routes on Excelsior from Glen Lake to Downtown Hopkins.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 8th, 2019, 7:19 am

Protected bike lanes?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Rewinding through some planned developments on the city website. I discovered that on November 26th the city approved the redevelopment of 10400, 10500, and 10550 Bren Rd E.

Rezoned to PUD supporting two apartment buildings, 195 units in one and 55 units in the second. 55 units will be priced for 60% area median income.

The Opus Station will be adjacent to this.

https://eminnetonka.com/images/projects ... 0(pdf).pdf

https://eminnetonka.com/current-project ... od-funding
Biz Journal had an article last week after the Green Line Extension got the Fed nod, where they talked about these.
Some developers got a jumpstart on Southwest LRT
*LOCKED*

Gist:
Newport Midwest received city approvals Monday night to build 196 market-rate apartments and 55 affordable apartments that will be just 600 yards from front door to the planned Opus Station in Minnetonka. That project will break ground this spring.
That project, called The Mariner, will be completed well in advance of when the $2 billion light rail line begins service in 2023.

Ditto for Plymouth-based Dominium’s 488-unit affordable housing development, which will break ground in early December on the other side of Opus Station. “We’ve certainly been paying attention to what has happened, and [LRT] was an attractive piece to buying the land,” said Ryan Lunderby, Dominium vice president and project partner. “But we did make a commitment to the city that we would move forward on the project with or without LRT. There is so much demand for affordable housing in that location.”
Canceled: https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline
A mixed-income apartment project in Minnetonka’s Opus Business Park has been cancelled as the developer said it’s not been able to secure financing for the market rate units and can’t meet deadlines for the affordable units.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Seems financing for quite a few projects is struggling. Is there something going on that needs investigation and reporting?