Minnetonka Area – General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Minnetonka Area – General Topics

Postby Anondson » October 30th, 2015, 7:16 am

Near 494 and 62 in Minnetonka a five story hotel is proposed for a bare patch where a 10 story office was proposed in the 80s.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... 1446210016

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 31st, 2015, 10:27 am

Near 494 and 62 in Minnetonka a five story hotel is proposed for a bare patch where a 10 story office was proposed in the 80s.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... 1446210016
WOW, just what we need is more hotel rooms! So how many rooms are now being built, proposed, and just about ready to open in the metro area?
We can't seem to build office space which is a big driver for the hotel market. But we can build hotel rooms like they are going out of style.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » October 31st, 2015, 8:30 pm

I can't say that I'm impressed with the new design for TCF's (or should that be "tcf's"?) branches being introduced starting with the Minnetonka location.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... tonka.html

Something about it just screams "fast food" to me.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 31st, 2015, 8:42 pm

I couldn't put my finger on it, but "fast food" describes what I felt too.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 31st, 2015, 8:46 pm

WOW, just what we need is more hotel rooms! So how many rooms are now being built, proposed, and just about ready to open in the metro area?
We can't seem to build office space which is a big driver for the hotel market. But we can build hotel rooms like they are going out of style.
No kidding. I really wonder what kind of financial wizardry goes into speculative hotel development.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 1st, 2015, 3:16 pm

Regarding hotel development, found this that says hotel occupancy and revenue has hit all time records.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2015/ ... t.html?m=1

So. That must be part of this explosion of hotels. The money says it's a good investment to build them.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Re: Tonka on the Creek - Minnetonka

Postby lorwest » November 15th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Tonka on the Creek was topped out when I drove by today, but I didn't quickly find a leasing website, so I'm not sure how soon folks will be moving in.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 16th, 2015, 11:05 pm

http://eminnetonka.com/images/meetings/ ... Packet.pdf

Proposed 102 room 5 story Home2 Suites off of 494 just north of 62

Page: 27

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 16th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Is that the same site that I posted about a few up thread? (The link doesn't open on my phone)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 16th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Yup! Thought it looked a bit familiar.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 10th, 2016, 3:36 pm

LeCesse Development plans 350 luxury Minnetonka apartments
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... tonka.html

From the article:
"LeCesse is the second developer to take a run at the 7.9-acre development site. I wrote in August about plans by Roers Investments and CPM Cos. to build a $62 million, 274-unit apartment project, but that deal didn't come together. When Roers and CPM's purchase agreement expired on the site, LeCesse stepped in, according to James DePietro, a senior vice president at CBRE Group who is marketing the site for sale."

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 10th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Where is this? Is this the apartments in the Opus campus?

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » February 10th, 2016, 3:40 pm

I don't understand the appeal of suburban condos/townhomes. The idea seems to me to trade less space for greater amenities within walking/taxiing distance when purchasing a condo vs. a standalone house. But in the suburbs you just end up with less space. :?: :?:

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 10th, 2016, 3:46 pm

The Opus campus has some really pleasant trails, it will be within a very short walk to the Opus SWLRT station. It's the *start* of a business park suburban infill, and if it attracts some folks who work at United Health, they could bike-walk to work.

Still missing some of the "urban" experience of a Main Street, but two stations away.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 10th, 2016, 11:53 pm

I don't understand the appeal of suburban condos/townhomes. The idea seems to me to trade less space for greater amenities within walking/taxiing distance when purchasing a condo vs. a standalone house. But in the suburbs you just end up with less space. :?: :?:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure many people (even in urban environments) are in it for the walkability. I have family who bought in the North Loop who drive two blocks to go to a restaurant (in part due to health issues, but in part due to lifestyle). They still enjoy the lack of any exterior maintenance, snow removal, or lawn mowing. And the heated underground garage is an upgrade from their previous detached garage at their SFH.

If you wish to live in the suburbs, and have decided you want to continue driving most places, townhomes and condos are still a great choice. (And in fact, you probably will still drive less, and will definitely have a lesser carbon footprint, than going full SFH.)

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 11th, 2016, 8:19 am

At the moment, apartments in the west suburbs are more popular than apartments downtown.

http://www.startribune.com/record-luxur ... 368317941/

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 11th, 2016, 8:51 am

For me, and I suspect most other people, it was about cost more than anything (especially back in 2005, when I bought mine). Plus I don't need a lot of space. It' s not something I would do again, though, as the kind of home and area I want has changed since that time.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 11th, 2016, 9:09 am

The only reason my father bought a townhouse in Lakeville is that he wanted relatively new construction and couldn't afford a single family house. The only thing within walking distance of it is a gasoline station.

I suspect there's a large number of people that either like it to be easy to drive everywhere or choose to locate in the suburbs due to jobs, family, or not liking other elements of the city, but can't afford, don't need the space, or don't want the maintenance of a single family house.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 11th, 2016, 9:27 am

I suspect there's a large number of people that either like it to be easy to drive everywhere or choose to locate in the suburbs due to jobs, family, or not liking other elements of the city, but can't afford, don't need the space, or don't want the maintenance of a single family house.
Yup. There's definitely a market for multifamily housing in the suburbs, and increasingly so. It's not like the cities proper are getting any cheaper, either.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » February 11th, 2016, 9:36 am

The only reason my father bought a townhouse in Lakeville is that he wanted relatively new construction and couldn't afford a single family house. The only thing within walking distance of it is a gasoline station.

I know quite a few people who like townhomes and bought them in the suburbs. It's kind of a happy medium between a SFH and a condo. You might have a patio or a little outdoor space (helpful if you have a dog), but you don't have to do any maintenance.